Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Roadrunner

Lukion Muse Series

Any reviews? I am considering these courses and  wondering what the quality of instruction/feedback looks like and how many hours a week it takes for an average student to complete the work. Also curious how much writing is involved. Any reviews are appreciated. 

We loved these classes. 

Readings are 40-50 pages a week, from whatever genre is under study that week (epic, poetry, drama, philosophy, history, etc).  Some readings are excerpts (epics and histories), while others are a full play or a selection of poems.  There is a comprehension quiz each week before the class.  These are a combination of multiple choice, matching, and short answer (up to a couple paragraphs) designed to test if the student read and understood the material.  Questions might ask the student to match poets' names and a biographical description or to put events in order or to explain why a character took a certain action.

The class puts the readings into historical and cultural contexts.

There are about 4 long writing assignments per semester.  These are usually "model papers" in which the student writes an original work in the style they have been studying.  For example, they write a family story in epic style - using certain stylistic points that were covered in the classes and also on the assignment sheet.  There was one literary analysis paper in the spring semester that required students to analyze a modern comedy to see how closely it followed Roman comedy forms.

I thought the feedback was well done.  My older son really enjoyed the course.  My youngest was less eager, but developed a lot of skills as a writer from having to quickly write the short answer quiz response paragraphs and from having to do the model papers.  I think towards the end of one spring semester, she got a little behind in grading, but I think she had a medical emergency during that semester.

Readings are translations from original Greek and Roman sources.  They are not retellings.  That means they can be violent and earthy.  If you don't want your kid reading Greek plays that include violent death and revenge or Roman histories and poetry, then it might not be a good fit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

There are about 4 long writing assignments per semester.  These are usually "model papers" in which the student writes an original work in the style they have been studying.  For example, they write a family story in epic style - using certain stylistic points that were covered in the classes and also on the assignment sheet.  There was one literary analysis paper in the spring semester that required students to analyze a modern comedy to see how closely it followed Roman comedy forms.

so the writing is all creative writing not traditional essay? This could be a real problem for my kid. 😞 

My dd really considered this class because she loved Dr. Fisher when she had her for Latin one year. But, in the end, we ruled it out because of the writing assignments. She had already done so much of that type of writing. I haven't really looked at it, so I don't know how much it's changed since we considered it, but here's the syllabus for the class. https://www.quia.com/files/quia/users/mcsueberry/MuseontheLoose/Syllabi/2017_MOTL_Syllabus

You can find many of the Lukeion syllabi by googling "Lukeion Quia" and whatever the class name is. I've found that really helpful in determining which classes we really wanted to take.

Edited by Mom0012

2 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

My dd really considered this class because she loved Dr. Fisher when she had her for Latin one year. But, in the end, we ruled it out because of the writing assignments. She had already done so much of that type of writing. I haven't really looked at it, so I don't know how much it's changed since we considered it, but here's the syllabus for the class. https://www.quia.com/files/quia/users/mcsueberry/MuseontheLoose/Syllabi/2017_MOTL_Syllabus

You can find many of the Lukeion syllabi by googling "Lukeion Quia" and whatever the class name is. I've found that really helpful in determining which classes we really wanted to take.

Oh, thank you for this! I am glad to know those aren’t creative writing assignments. A huge sigh of relief. But after reading the syllabus, I Now feel thoroughly intimidated. 🤭

• Like 1