Menu

Eye tracking question, where to start first for diagnosis

I have a student (dyslexic) that I tutor. Even though he is progressing on his reading, he still has difficulty with 1 syllable 5-6 letter short vowel words but he is getting to be a stronger sight word reader. We are working on fluency for words like: bunch, branch, strall...   I have noticed in the past that it seems like his eyes jump and grab a vowel from another word, so his current word is misread with a substituted vowel.  He has trouble with words like felt/flet for instance, where the letters will get transposed.

The other day I had him do an eye tracking exercise with the ladybug that walks across the screen several times  http://eyecanlearn.com/tracking/fixation/  .  Both eyes, right, then left.  He commented that when watching with the left eye, the ladybug jumps around.  This would confirm my thought with his mixed letters. 

So in making recommendations for an eye exam, I would not think that a regular optometrist would be able to detect this problem.  We live in a small town, with larger towns about an hour away.  (Some vision therapists in those areas). I know some of you have had more experience with vision issues by what I have seen on the threads. Can you give me an idea of where to start for a vision when talking  to the parents ?