Menu

North Korea

Ausmumof3

30 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Nobody knows.

Either what's going on, or what will happen.

But, can I just say, that this was a bad time for the rest of the world to pick a fight with China, given we rely somewhat on China to help control NK, or at least, communicate with NK.

I reckon China has been pretty good for a fight since we shut borders though and I don’t see how that’s avoidable.  I mean we can de-escalate I guess from here.  But I feel like they should be somewhat accountable though how that happens who knows?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Something is definitely up since he missed an extremely important day for the country (Army day). 

I thought it was his father?/grandfather's? BD celebration.  whatever - it was a not to be missed occasion.  that he wasn't there is a big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

His sister? Wow. Somehow I am having difficulty picturing that. I was musing the same thing though. If not the sister, who else is in line or is there a line?

His kids are too young. His sister, Kim Yo Jong, is his “right hand man” for sometime and the govt representative to the 2018 Winter Olympics. 
Asia had women in power dating as far back as the first woman emperor of China in 690 CE.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Well, what I have to say about it would be too political for this board.

Let's just say, the AU government inflamed it recently for reasons of their own.

Yeah true.  I’ve been reading too much Chinese propaganda lately and it’s making me cranky.  But that’s another story.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

His kids are too young. His sister, Kim Yo Jong, is his “right hand man” for sometime and the govt representative to the 2018 Winter Olympics. 
Asia had women in power dating as far back as the first woman emperor of China in 690 CE.

Yes I get the feeling that it would be less surprising in an Asian than a us or Aus context to have a woman leader?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes I get the feeling that it would be less surprising in an Asian than a us or Aus context to have a woman leader?

While Asians tend to prefer males, there are plenty of precedence for female leaders e.g.  Benazir Bhutto, Indira Gandhi, Corazon Aquino, Chandrika Kumaranatunga, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Aung San Suu Kyi.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, StellaM said:

My disagreement with the inflaming of the situation is more one of timing - and timing being based around requests of foreign govts and not our own national interests.

Not with the substance of the thing.

Yep.  Agreed.  There’s a way to deal with it.

• Like 1

I am wondering if Kim got COVID19 since their closest allies are China, thousands of Chinese laborers work inside NK and they have a border with china through which there is constant traffic to and fro. Given the current global situation, it would make sense that NK got hit by the pandemic too and Kim got infected or is quarantined.