Menu

AP exams '20 some colleges unsure of credit

During a recent virtual admitted students Info Session, DD said the university is unsure if they will give any college credit to those taking the 2020 AP Exams (and passing them). After doing some looking, it seems some universities are doing a wait and see approach to the upcoming AP exams as far as giving credit. I really hope those who have been doing the hard work of AP classes this school year won't then suffer an additional loss in this uncertain COVID-19 time by not getting any college credit for passing the upcoming AP exams.

From Compass Prep site:

“The University is reviewing how we will evaluate AP scores for tests administered in May 2020. The change in AP test format, coverage, and administration this spring makes it necessary to reconsider the relationship between these tests and material covered and assessed in similar Princeton courses. While we continue to believe that these test scores will be helpful for placement purposes, students may be required to take an additional Princeton placement test to receive Advanced Placement credit.”  – Princeton Admissions

“There is no change for how AP credits are awarded for students entering in Fall 2020.  However, since some of the 2020 Advanced Placement exams will not include all of the units typically covered on those exams, students who earn scores of 4 and 5 on some exams in the 2020 test administration may need to consult with faculty and professional advisors to determine if they have the prerequisite knowledge and background to be successful in more advanced coursework in the fall semester. Once AP scores are received in July, advisors will reach out to students as appropriate with more information and guidance.”  – Rutgers Admissions

We-e-ell...I think it might depend on the class, and what the student ultimately covered. As noted by the OP, the tests will not cover the full content of the AP classes, and some students won't have had that material. For some courses - science and math come to mind - it would be a disservice to both the student and the university to be awarded credit for the comparable college course. Credit for Calc AB? How do you move on to take Calc 2 if you didn't actually cover all the material in Calc 1? What I could see instead would be testing (perhaps CLEP tests?) to determine whether the necessary content was mastered. For other courses - history and AP Lit come to mind - it might be more feasible to award credit.

Yes, the kids have worked hard. It sucks. I don't think this is an area where there can be a one-size-fits-all answer.

• Like 2

I think it’s also going to matter whether it’s for GE (general education) credit or core credit. I would know at end of fall quarter how the community college treat my teens AP exams scores because the transferred credit number on my teens’ transcripts would reflect the credit given to AP scores. 

For calculus, I am expecting colleges to just do their own math placement tests. Many colleges already have math placement tests for all freshmen. So it’s not new.

My DD finished the work in the AP Calculus BC text in February and started reviewing in March for the AP exam. So for her and others who actually finished their AP text and work it’s quite unfair for colleges to not give credit for those who pass the AP exam. There is an ALEKS math placement test DD has to take online for her college but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t cover Calculus, and if it does I know it doesn’t cover Calc 2. Perhaps there is a math placement test other than that or colleges will make one for those who passed the AP Calc BC exam? There is no CLEP test for Calculus 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BookwormTo2 said:

My DD finished the work in the AP Calculus BC text in February and started reviewing in March for the AP exam. So for her and others who actually finished their AP text and work it’s quite unfair for colleges to not give credit for those who pass the AP exam. There is an ALEKS math placement test DD has to take online for her college but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t cover Calculus, and if it does I know it doesn’t cover Calc 2. Perhaps there is a math placement test other than that or colleges will make one for those who passed the AP Calc BC exam? There is no CLEP test for Calculus 2.

DD is in the same boat.  She is attempting a EE/Physics double major that relies on a good score for AP Calc BC and Physics C.  So, she's anxious about the acceptance of these scores.  She also finished all material in March.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, linders said:

We-e-ell...I think it might depend on the class, and what the student ultimately covered. As noted by the OP, the tests will not cover the full content of the AP classes, and some students won't have had that material. For some courses - science and math come to mind - it would be a disservice to both the student and the university to be awarded credit for the comparable college course. Credit for Calc AB? How do you move on to take Calc 2 if you didn't actually cover all the material in Calc 1?

The flip side is professors don't want their introductory courses to be any bigger than they already are, so they may be reluctant to deny credit for the abbreviated 2020 AP.  (Math professors may not be impacted if EE majors end up flailing in more advanced engineering coursework.)  

I think if students are allowed the option to pass out of classes, they need to do the assessment suggested by @linders.  Is the course a critical prerequisite, and does the student have the skills to advance to the next level?  If not, then that student may either want to study up over the summer or retake the class at university.  

• Like 1

It's a real problem. I had to review the AP Physics C exams, and Electricity&Magnetism has cut out all magnetism content from the exam. What is cut amounts to over one third of the corresponding college semester's content and is the material that is most challenging for the students. The problem in Mechanics is not quite as severe; the cut topics are important, but not quite as foundational. Math BC is a real problem again. They need sequences and series to do calc 3.

One solution we are discussing is to give credit for the AP exams, but require/encourage students to take a brief workshop where we teach them the material that has been cut (or prove mastery through a test).  Not yet sure how this is going to play out.

This alteration of the exams does the students big disservice and only lines the College Board's pockets.  I really feel for the students who have already been screwed by the transition to home instruction and would hate for them not to get the credit they have planned for - because for the kids, there's a lot of money at stake. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I certainly am not in favor of students who pass an AP exam in 2020 to go into a college class unprepared for the next sequence/class in that subject. But I hope universities that decide not to accept (2020) AP exam credit have options for students to prove they know the material for the AP class(es) they completed, or as @regentrude suggested, encourage/require students to take a brief workshop covering material cut from the AP exams. Since my DD is starting college the latter part of summer, I know she'd be happy to take such a workshop at that time if needed.

• Like 4

I'm just grateful that the tests DS is taking for this year are tests that he 100% does not need/want college credit for - he's only taking the tests to show proficiency.

If this had been an AP Chem or AP Bio year and he wasn't able to get college credit for those?!? nooooooooooo way would we be chill about that. Those classes are beasts - and to have to do it TWICE? No thank you.

• Like 1