Menu

Vitamin D and Covid-19 info to share with friends and family

ElizabethB

Here is a chart I made from the results of this recent vitamin D study.

Slide1.jpeg.26cd7141e82a2926a0fc84b4f3bd3796.jpeg

Study: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3571484#.XqNy-JjBiB0.twitter

Vitamin D protects against other respiratory illnesses, non technical version: 

https://www.mcmasteroptimalaging.org/blog/detail/blog/2019/05/14/can-vitamin-d-ward-off-acute-respiratory-tract-infections

Vitamin D protects anginas respiratory illnesses, technical version:

https://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i6583

How vitamin D protects against cytokine storm:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20058578v2

Dr. Erik Hermstad on twitter, @EHermstad, tweeted, “Does an adequate vitamin D level protect against some of the cytokine storm we're seeing with COVID-19? I don't know. I just haven't seen any vitamin D levels in the 40's or higher yet on ANY patient I've admitted with it.”

Covid-19 and Vitamin D information by 3 PhDs, they recommend we test, treat, measure, and report vitamin D for Covid patients.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka7h4fbi7xdz9s9/Covid-19 and Vitamin D Information.pdf?dl=0

Slide2.jpeg.e9b134b84bd6a894e919dc2ead9c1748.jpeg

Edited by ElizabethB
Fix units on Graph
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Thanks so much for starting this thread! I will be sending this info out to my family members tomorrow. I've been trying to figure out how to get the info out in a way that people might believe it and not just think I'm nuts! 😊  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeighHo said:

dosage depends on time outdoors, latitude, and genetics.   One needs to test.

Yes I am aware but we really can't right now.  I am wondering what type of daily dose would be acceptable to do *something* to help the levels even though it won't be ideal.  

@ElizabethB

The infographic is visually wonderful!!!  I love the way you made it so clear with the red and green colors. 

In the text part, It also has a ng/ml versus nmol/l problem however.  

“Deficient” as a technical term (rickets level) is 30nmol/l.  That’s only around 11-12 ng/ml.

It is taking a lot higher D to be in the good range for immunity.  

I think this type issue (doses, units of measurement etc) keeps being a problem when people look at information and studies and find them inconclusive or contradictory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

Yes I am aware but we really can't right now.  I am wondering what type of daily dose would be acceptable to do *something* to help the levels even though it won't be ideal.  

I can only give you my non-medical thoughts on this.  I have malabsorbtion so I have to take very high doses.  As a result I've had way more vitamin D tests than the average and my doctor also discussed my history with someone who was researching Vit D at the our very large state university.  The gist of what came back from this over the years is that while "normal" is listed at something like 10-80, those numbers aren't necessarily ideal.  I have major sleep issues with anything below 80 and need to keep mine over 100 (yes that's above the "recommended normal" range) and we know that even though 10 is supposedly "normal" that more than likely that's deficient for most nearly everyone on the planet.  Also they don't start seeing toxicity until you get in the 200-300 range.  So lots of room between going over "normal" before you have to worry about causing problems.  So my decisions for my family are based on what I've discussed with our family doctor as appropriate for our situation.

Note: the units of measurements are those used by my lab reports when this was hashed out with my doctor a few years ago.  I have no idea if these are still the current range or not as I no longer worry about that because I know my needs are higher. Also as noted below the is measured as ng/mol

I live in the upper midwest.  It's cold here and even when we go outside, we are still pretty covered up and frankly we've had way more clouds than sun the last month.  We are light skinned. For my family I giving them these  daily doses;  Under 12 are taking 2000IU, 12-18 are taking 5,000 IU and adults (myself excluded because my needs are exponentialy higher) are taking 10,000 IU.  We don't eat any kind of fish here.  These are definitely higher than normal dosages but I'm comfortable giving them in the short term knowing there is a huge area before we will even come close to toxicity. I will probably lower the doses for kids once summer arrives because they will be outside more.  DH seldom goes out so he takes that dose year round. But please do your own research, consider your location, skin color, time outside etc because this is really very individual.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

https://vitamindwiki.com/Overview+How+Much+vitamin+D

article on “how much” 

————

Loading dose information 

https://vitamindwiki.com/Overview+Loading+of+vitamin+D

And I think this graph from the above link (which I now realize came from a book, so I am getting the title into my quote) is extremely helpful to realize that if you start in now at just a good daily level like 4,000 IU/day it can take over 18 months to reach a good level in your body.

Response with 400,000 IU loading dose @ is.gd/7DayVitD
600,000 vitamin D loading doses – good response to both oral and muscular – Oct 2015 has the following

Dose >20 ng Level
600,000 IU IM 94% 30 ng
600,000 IU oral 83% 20 ng
200,000 IU IM 88% 18 ng
200,000 IU oral 71% 14 ng

Take vitamin D3 daily or weekly has the following 
Response to a single dose of 100,000 IU starting at 27 ng/ml, half life

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I can only give you my non-medical thoughts on this.  I have malabsorbtion so I have to take very high doses.  As a result I've had way more vitamin D tests than the average and my doctor also discussed my history with someone who was researching Vit D at the our very large state university.  The gist of what came back from this over the years is that while "normal" is listed at something like 10-80, those numbers are necessarily ideal.  I have major sleep issues with anything below 80 and need to keep mine over 100 (yes that's above the "recommended normal" range) and we know that even though 10 is supposedly "normal" that more than likely that's deficient for most nearly everyone on the planet.  Also they don't start seeing toxicity until you get in the 200-300 range.  So lots of room between going over "normal" before you have to worry about causing problems.  So my decisions for my family are based on what I've discussed with our family doctor as appropriate for our situation.

I live in the upper midwest.  It's cold here and even when we go outside, we are still pretty covered up and frankly we've had way more clouds than sun the last month.  We are light skinned. For my family I giving them these doses;  Under 12 are taking 2000IU, 12-18 are taking 5,000 IU and adults (myself excluded because my needs are exponentialy higher) are taking 10,000 IU.  We don't eat any kind of fish here.  These are definitely higher than normal dosages but I'm comfortable giving them in the short term knowing there is a huge area before we will even come close to toxicity. I will probably lower the doses for kids once summer arrives because they will be outside more.  DH seldom goes out so he takes that dose year round. But please do your own research, consider your location, skin color, time outside etc because this is really very individual.

Just to add because of confusion with this, I think levels as you refer to them are for ng/ml. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pen said:

The way I interpret the chart would be that if good sun exposure now or soon can serve as the “loading dose” then 4,000-5,000 IU daily should keep a good level from then on. 

Without either sun loading or a loading dose, 4,000IU daily is likely to take way too long to get into a good level for possible immunity benefits. 

I think the graph was from a study with children however, so adults, especially if they have risk factors, are obese, etc, may need more.  

(Or if they don’t have risk factors, are young and still metabolizing D well, and get a lot of good sun, may need less. )

1 hour ago, Pen said:

@ElizabethB

The infographic is visually wonderful!!!  I love the way you made it so clear with the red and green colors. 

In the text part, It also has a ng/ml versus nmol/l problem however.  

“Deficient” as a technical term (rickets level) is 30nmol/l.  That’s only around 11-12 ng/ml.

It is taking a lot higher D to be in the good range for immunity.  

I think this type issue (doses, units of measurement etc) keeps being a problem when people look at information and studies and find them inconclusive or contradictory. 

I fixed the units, the line actually makes more sense at the lower level!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

I fixed the units, the line actually makes more sense at the lower level!

Another suggestion: could you show ng/ml units on the y axis on one side of the chart and nmol/l units on the other side y axis? 

Then people familiar with or who get tests back in either type units could use the chart easily.

• Like 1

Also , hmmm, musing, would it be worth putting some hazy light color bar that reflects what a doctor had put on Twitter (iirc) that no one with level above 40 ng/ml has needed (what was it? ICU? Hospital at all?) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

Also , hmmm, musing, would it be worth putting some hazy light color bar that reflects what a doctor had put on Twitter (iirc) that no one with level above 40 ng/ml has needed (what was it? ICU? Hospital at all?) 

That would be a good addition.  A fair amount of work to fix, I'll make another version, though, right now my chart only goes up to 35.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

That would be a good addition.  A fair amount of work to fix, I'll make another version, though, right now my chart only goes up to 35.

You could leave that chart as it is, and at some point maybe do another additional chart with other information, even anecdotal like the tweet, perhaps. 

Putting nmol/l on right side for at least a few values might be easier... would at least alert people to there being two different systems. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pen said:

You could leave that chart as it is, and at some point maybe do another additional chart with other information, even anecdotal like the tweet, perhaps. 

Putting nmol/l on right side for at least a few values might be easier... would at least alert people to there being two different systems. 

2 charts in post now, see what you think, and can you check my unit conversion?

I like the green dashed line for the Dr Eric part!  I think that works great.

I definitely use 2.5 multiplier to convert from

ng/ml to nmol/l ...   but I am not sure if it is an actual precise conversion or a close estimate conversion. 

If it is precise all that I saw on my bitty screen looks good. 

If it is a not quite exact, but rather a close estimate conversion factor,  “~”  approximately sign could perhaps be used and explanation of the conversion footnoted. 

(I think that the form of D that gets measured in blood test would have such a perfect molecular mass as to be exactly right for a 2.5 multiplier seems too good to be possible!) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Use the following information to convert conventional units of measure to SI units when you review laboratory test ... 25-Hydroxy D2, ng/mL, 2.4271845, nmol/L.

???? Looks like maybe the 2.4271845 is the more precise conversion multiplier ?   I think footnoting that if so makes more sense than using it!  
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pen said:
Use the following information to convert conventional units of measure to SI units when you review laboratory test ... 25-Hydroxy D2, ng/mL, 2.4271845, nmol/L.

???? Looks like maybe the 2.4271845 is the more precise conversion multiplier ?   I think footnoting that if so makes more sense than using it!  

Yes, I'm not redoing my math...and my pictures are slightly off anyway, the original chart was all green, I couldn't figure out how to make the bars different colors in excel, I overlaid colored bars in Power Point.  So, .073 is more than the error in my overlay, I had to make the bars slightly higher to change their colors.  It should be close enough.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Can you give any guidance on dosage? Ages 5-45 😁

I am following doctor recommended doses for myself as I was at 19 when tested a couple years ago.  So I'm feeling comfortable with where I am at.  Wondering about dh and my kids who range from 5-23

More on dosage:

https://vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page_id=5217

here using a high dose form, first to load and then once per week or once every two weeks (or perhaps twice per week for high risk, but sounds like your dh and kids are regular risk). 

I switched my son to weekly because it is easier to get it done with one little pill once per week.  

I also ordered bottle by clicking on the link in the vitamindwiki in case they get some financial support back from amazon. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

Yes, I'm not redoing my math...and my pictures are slightly off anyway, the original chart was all green, I couldn't figure out how to make the bars different colors in excel, I overlaid colored bars in Power Point.  So, .073 is more than the error in my overlay, I had to make the bars slightly higher to change their colors.  It should be close enough.

Really?  🤣😁 You don’t want to multiply each ng/ml number by 2.4271845 (and record each answer on the chart! ) ???  Where’s your sense of adventure?!?!   🙃😂

Seriously though, it looks great!!!!

I sent copy to my son (typical teen) and mom (retired physician).  I’ll let you know if I get any comments back. 

• Like 1

It might get too busy, and cluttered

but more musings

Put additional light line for USA (and /or also UK and/or Canada?) National average level might be helpful?  

To show that it is not just the 14% etc under blue line in likely trouble from critical results, but the people under 50% average point that isn’t at the mild case level also potentially in trouble? 

ETA— actually once corrected for ng/ml versus nmol/l USA has higher average than UK and Canada, so a light line for it if any used should give idea for the other non equatorial countries too.   And people could probably extrapolate from black Americans  and Native Americans to black Brits and Asians in UK etc too.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I can tell you that for kids, our neuropsychiatrist, advises all her patients (children) take at least 1,000 IU a day. Some take 2,000 IU a day. Plus sunshine, plus good food sources, etc. This is consistent with the guidelines for PANDAS patients. My son age 7 takes 2,000 IU a day, my 3 yr old takes 1,000 IU a day. We use the Nordic Naturals gummies, and even my picky one loves them. 

Obviously not everyone has PANDAS, but my point is that multiple medical doctors across fields seem to think that is a safe level. 

My husband and I take 5,000 IU per day. Actually, I was only taking it a few times a week, and my levels are now down lower than ever before, so I'm bumping back up to 10K most days (as in, the days I don't forget) for a while. 

But I'd say for an adult 5K a day is pretty standard. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I can tell you that for kids, our neuropsychiatrist, advises all her patients (children) take at least 1,000 IU a day. Some take 2,000 IU a day. Plus sunshine, plus good food sources, etc. This is consistent with the guidelines for PANDAS patients. My son age 7 takes 2,000 IU a day, my 3 yr old takes 1,000 IU a day. We use the Nordic Naturals gummies, and even my picky one loves them. 

Obviously not everyone has PANDAS, but my point is that multiple medical doctors across fields seem to think that is a safe level. 

My husband and I take 5,000 IU per day. Actually, I was only taking it a few times a week, and my levels are now down lower than ever before, so I'm bumping back up to 10K most days (as in, the days I don't forget) for a while. 

But I'd say for an adult 5K a day is pretty standard. 

And that’s in a good sun state!!!

• Like 1

Also, there is a theory, not yet proven, that part of the issue with vitamin and sun exposure is that the D is synthesized in the oils of the skin, and we wash with soap so often that we are washing those oils away before we can absorb the D, or something to that effect. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Also, there is a theory, not yet proven, that part of the issue with vitamin and sun exposure is that the D is synthesized in the oils of the skin, and we wash with soap so often that we are washing those oils away before we can absorb the D, or something to that effect. 

Yes. I have heard that too.  

• Like 1

@ElizabethB, thank you for all your work on this.

This prompted me to email my mother (turning 80 in May) to keep taking VitD3. I sent her some for Christmas but I don't know if she has finished it and I don't remember how many were in her bottle.

I have been supplementing for years. Thank you also for the links!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liz CA said:

@ElizabethB, thank you for all your work on this.

This prompted me to email my mother (turning 80 in May) to keep taking VitD3. I sent her some for Christmas but I don't know if she has finished it and I don't remember how many were in her bottle.

I have been supplementing for years. Thank you also for the links!

You're welcome.  The Scottish government is recommending everyone who will be inside more this summer, but especially elderly, supplement through summer with the lockdown.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1267489/coronavirus-update-news-uk-symptoms-scottish-government-guidance-vitamin-D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I shared on facebook, and will share with my mom and sister (mom handles dad, lol)

And truly, you can't rely on the sun. I don't care what they say. I'm very pale, freckled, strawberry blonde, blue eyes. I work in my yard many times a week outdoor. In freaking Florida. I also tend not to wash most of my body with soap due to sensitive skin, and I don't shower daily. And I need supplementation. 

Given that most people in the USA are indoors most of the time, and if they do go out in the sun will come in and shower off with soap, they need it even more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I shared on facebook, and will share with my mom and sister (mom handles dad, lol)

And truly, you can't rely on the sun. I don't care what they say. I'm very pale, freckled, strawberry blonde, blue eyes. I work in my yard many times a week outdoor. In freaking Florida. I also tend not to wash most of my body with soap due to sensitive skin, and I don't shower daily. And I need supplementation. 

Given that most people in the USA are indoors most of the time, and if they do go out in the sun will come in and shower off with soap, they need it even more. 

You're likely correct, if you can't get enough D from the sun in Florida, what hope does the rest of America have, especially those with dark skin and those in very northern states.  And, we're inside more as a culture even before the lockdowns.  I should buy stock in vitamin D gummies, LOL!  

8 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

You're likely correct, if you can't get enough D from the sun in Florida, what hope does the rest of America have, especially those with dark skin and those in very northern states.  And, we're inside more as a culture even before the lockdowns.  I should buy stock in vitamin D gummies, LOL!  

I have been using more soap than I was, because I got some nice smelling lavendar stuff, but with my D levels lower I wouldnt' be surprised if that was part of it. We just all shower much more than in times past. 

And of course, with this virus we are using even more soap than before!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

Truth! While it is wonderful to soak up sunshine, there is also the fact that we have to balance skin cancer risks. 

Also adding, my doc scoffs at 25 being “normal,” we aim for at least 50. I haven’t had a check in a while, it’s due in July. 

Yup. I used to be 50. Now I'm down to 33. I also switched vitamins, and got lazy about taking them. Sigh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

They are getting busy, but that is good info.

DSlide1.jpeg.57f71d4538e32a1a71a4d93d656610ef.jpegDSlide2.jpeg.ff029ff99a97fe53d0387b28c630c64a.jpeg

I like the bottom one best!  

ETA— and if it seems too busy, I think I favor the dashed black line over the blue line, possibly with some information like 50% of all Americans,  ____% of Black Americans, _____ % of Native Americans are below the black dashed line.  

It seems more important to me how very many are not set to have a mild case if D is protective not just correlated (which I do believe based on my own research).   I think the lower line might lead more people to conclude that they are probably in the 64% of black Americans, 70% of Native Americans, or 86% of all Americans who are fine. (Or similarly extrapolate to their own country)

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

So, when I called all my relatives to tell them to take vitamin D a while ago, I forgot about the Navajo Nation ones!  They are in Alaska (but grew up on reservation and go back and visit) so we don't see them as often.  When I heard the Navajo Nation news and added Native Americans to my graph as a vitamin D risk group, I called them and shared the graph and study online with the extended Navajo Nation family (I am "friends" with a bunch of Navajo Nation people I've never met, they are a big clan.) 

Anyway, they probably need vitamin D more than everyone else, but Alaska hasn't been hit that hard by Covid.  They can't make D from the sun until May 25th!  They are going to start supplementing and share with the rest of the Navajo Nation clan that I'm not "friends" with. The rest of the clan is in more sun friendly areas, Utah and either Arizona or New Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

So, when I called all my relatives to tell them to take vitamin D a while ago, I forgot about the Navajo Nation ones!  They are in Alaska (but grew up on reservation and go back and visit) so we don't see them as often.  When I heard the Navajo Nation news and added Native Americans to my graph as a vitamin D risk group, I called them and shared the graph and study online with the extended Navajo Nation family (I am "friends" with a bunch of Navajo Nation people I've never met, they are a big clan.) 

Anyway, they probably need vitamin D more than everyone else, but Alaska hasn't been hit that hard by Covid.  They can't make D from the sun until May 25th!  They are going to start supplementing and share with the rest of the Navajo Nation clan that I'm not "friends" with. The rest of the clan is in more sun friendly areas, Utah and either Arizona or New Mexico.

But probably wear jeans and t-shirts etc, spend much time indoors, so don’t likely get enough sunshine,,especially for brown skin absorption time,  even though theoretically able to do so. 

• Like 1

For anyone reading through this please check with your doctor before loading up on D.  Overdosing on Vitamin D can cause problems for kidneys and cause the formation of kidney stones.

Most literature states levels up to 4000 IU is safe for a limited time but have much lower amounts for maintenance. Some as low 400-800IU although general multi-vitamin s tend to have 1000IU. I am NOT a doctor but I would talk to your doctor and get your levels checked before taking the amounts mentioned in this thread. There is such a thing as too much Vitamin D. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 4

On 4/25/2020 at 6:58 PM, ElizabethB said:

Where did you get the info on when Alaskans can make D? I've never seen such info but I struggle to think it's reliable since Adak is near parallel 51 and Utqiagvik is about 71° N .  That's a big difference to generalize to Alaska, unless you just meant where your friends live?

I have no idea why the font changed. I wasn't emphasizing just asking a normal question. No rudeness implied. And now it's red. My phone must be going nuts.

Edited by frogger
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, frogger said:

Where did you get the info on when Alaskans can make D? I've never seen such info but I struggle to think it's reliable since Adak is near parallel 51 and Utqiagvik is about 71° N .  That's a big difference to generalize to Alaska, unless you just meant where your friends live?

I have no idea why the font changed. I wasn't emphasizing just asking a normal question. No rudeness implied. And now it's red. My phone must be going nuts.

I ran the info into a NOAA sun angle calculator for their latitude.  They are in Anchorage, I used Anchorage.  Utqiagvik will have to wait even longer, hopefully they like cod liver oil.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I ran the info into a NOAA sun angle calculator for their latitude.  They are in Anchorage, I used Anchorage.  Utqiagvik will have to wait even longer, hopefully they like cod liver oil.

Inuit who eat European type diets sometimes do have problems with rickets. Those who eat traditional diets tend not to. 

Their traditional diet provided what they needed through whale and seal. From what I understand (which is very limited) their genetics also helps them metabolize it properly.  Outsiders who move there should definitly supplement! 

Edited by frogger
Added "sometimes"
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

Whale, seal, etc blubber was traditional source for D vitamins that far north —- and other than toxins in the modern animals and hunting issues it’s an excellent source!!!

• Like 1

Just now, frogger said:

Inuit who eat European type diets do have problems with rickets. Those who eat traditional diets tend not to. 

Their traditional diet provided what they needed through whale and seal. From what I understand (which is very limited) their genetics also helps them metabolize it properly.  Outsiders who move there should definitly supplement! 

You beat me to that just barely! 😊

• Like 1