Menu

Off campus food costs

Hilltopmom

My kid lives in a very expensive city and her food costs are astronomical. Plus her apartment had an extremely tiny kitchen which she shared with 3 other people, so she was not able to cook.  She regularly spent at least $100 on food per week, often more.  We gave her around 750 a month to cover everything and she saved whatever she didn't use.  We have the GI bill though, so she is well provided for since her housing allowance is based on the hcol area she is in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Start by looking at the dining hall costs.  It will likely cost less than that, but the amount will vary depending on your dc's appetite, food choices, and local prices.  A student who eats out a lot will likely spend much more than will a student who eats most meals at home.  

As for our method, we deposit an agreed-upon "reasonable" amount into our college dc's bank account at the start of each semester.  We ask dc to keep track of food expenses; if dc spends more than we've provided, we will reimburse, but that's not been necessary yet.   We also buy enough university food service credits for dc to eat one meal per week on campus, as that's what we determined together would likely be needed, based on dc's schedule.  If the credits aren't used, they are lost, but dc can also buy snack foods or donate the unused portion to help stock the campus food pantry.  This year, unused credits are being refunded, since school was cancelled.  

• Thanks 1

Our situation was different.  My son lived in on campus housing but didn't have the meal plan because he didn't have to while in the apartments.  My son has Asperger's and he has a hard time figuring out what he needs for food for a whole week, so I would call him and we would fill his Shipt cart online and have it delivered (he doesn't drive.). We averaged about $250 per month I would say, but delivered food is a bit more $$ and then there are tips to add.  And that included medicines, toiletries, etc.....

• Thanks 1

We give dd a 7 meal plan so that she doesn't have to leave campus in the middle of her day to go eat at her apt, and so that she can eat with friends. She also gets about 40 a week for groceries. 

When she is "home" in the summer (and now, actually, since she isn't at her apt) she gets $50 a week. We put it into her account. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My son’s university had an average cost for off campus living because it was needed for those getting financial aid. We gave him that amount each month to cover all living expenses except spending money and books which he handled. His tuition was covered by scholarships. While his rent was very high due to the location, he and his roommate mainly cooked from scratch, so their food costs were quite reasonable.

10 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

We’ve been sending DS $50 a week. He informed us last week he hasn’t touched it. He works at a pizza joint and only buys brunch. SMH. 

Pretty sure he’s going to die of scurvy. This isn’t helpful, is it?

This is the most College Guy thing I've seen in A LONG time. Your son is awesome!! I think he'd be an inspiration to my DS. 😃