Menu

spanish videos/tv?

I'm currently working on Spanish for myself.  I've reach the point I feel ready to "immerse" myself in watching things in Spanish (bonus points if you can slow it down.)  I am reading in spansih/along side the English version so I'm picking up more vocabulary as well.

where to find?  

• Like 1

Netflix! So much good stuff!  I highly prefer Spanish TV (as in, from Spain) to overly melodramatic telenovelas.

Some ones I've really enjoyed (Netflix titles are in English even though shows are in Spanish):

The Grand Hotel (Spanish original - not Turkish,  Mexican,  or American remakes...)

The Time in Between 

High Seas

I have tons more promising stuff my to-watch list, but those are ones I can vouch for.

I've also watched some quite good from-Spain shows that are in dialects (Catalán and Galician) with Spanish subtitles on, but that might be more advanced than you're looking for...

You can also turn Spanish subtitles on for the Spanish-language ones, which can help you follow along when the dialogue gets zippy...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 3:34 PM, Matryoshka said:

Netflix! So much good stuff!  I highly prefer Spanish TV (as in, from Spain) to overly melodramatic telenovelas.

Some ones I've really enjoyed (Netflix titles are in English even though shows are in Spanish):

The Grand Hotel (Spanish original - not Turkish,  Mexican,  or American remakes...)

The Time in Between 

High Seas

I have tons more promising stuff my to-watch list, but those are ones I can vouch for.

I've also watched some quite good from-Spain shows that are in dialects (Catalán and Galician) with Spanish subtitles on, but that might be more advanced than you're looking for...

You can also turn Spanish subtitles on for the Spanish-language ones, which can help you follow along when the dialogue gets zippy...

I second Netflix.

By the way, Catalan and Gallego are not dialects 😉.They are languages, that like Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian come from Latin.  I am  from Spain and speak both Catalan and Castilian Spanish. There are four languages spoken in Spain: Castilian, Catalan, Gallego and Euskera. 

On 4/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I'm currently working on Spanish for myself.  I've reach the point I feel ready to "immerse" myself in watching things in Spanish (bonus points if you can slow it down.)  I am reading in spansih/along side the English version so I'm picking up more vocabulary as well.

where to find?  

If you have not watched "Extra En Espanol" or "Destinos: https://www.learner.org/series/destinos-an-introduction-to-spanish/ yet, I would start there. 

General Information: 

http://www.openculture.com/free_spanish_lessons

https://ideasparalaclase.com/espanol-para-extranjeros/

Some sites with short videos, or audio to improve listening comprehension: 

http://www.videoele.com/menu-A1.html

https://hablacultura.com/canal-multimedia/

https://www.studyspanishlanguage.org/spanish-conversation-for-beginners.html 

http://www.watchknowlearn.org/Category.aspx?CategoryID=347

https://www.123teachme.com/learn_spanish/spanish_dialogues_index

https://www.practicaespanol.com/los-cientificos-se-lanzan-al-exterminio-masivo-de-ratas-en-las-islas-galapagos/

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, StillStanding said:

I second Netflix.

By the way, Catalan and Gallego are not dialects 😉.They are languages, that like Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian come from Latin.  I am  from Spain and speak both Catalan and Castilian Spanish. There are four languages spoken in Spain: Castilian, Catalan, Gallego and Euskera. 

Lol, that's kind of the whole difference between a language and a dialect is an army... 😉

At least I can understand lots of Catalán and Gallego, since they're Latin based like Spanish - but that's also true of Italian. Euskera is of course a whole 'nother kettle of fish... we had a Basque exchange student and she brought us some magazines and videos... I'd love to know how that language developed and survived remaining so completely different from any other. Not like English, which is some kind of Borg language that just assimilates anything it comes into contact with,  lol

My 22yo is actually fluent in Catalán (spent time in Barcelona then continued with studies at university). Quite prefers it to Spanish. ..

Speaking of Catalán,  I wish US Netflix would get the next two seasons of Merlí already...

Edited by Matryoshka

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Lol, that's kind of the whole difference between a language and a dialect is an army... 😉

At least I can understand lots of Catalán and Gallego, since they're Latin based like Spanish - but that's also true of Italian. Euskera is of course a whole 'nother kettle of fish... we had a Basque exchange student and she brought us some magazines and videos... I'd love to know how that language developed and survived remaining so completely different from any other. Not like English, which is some kind of Borg language that just assimilates anything it comes into contact with,  lol

My dd is actually fluent in Catalán (spent time in Barcelona then continued her studies at university). I think she quite prefers it to Spanish. ..

Speaking of Catalán,  I wish US Netflix would get the next two seasons of Merlí already...

The Romans never conquered the Basc Country (because of its geography)--Think "Asterix and Obelix" if you are familiar with this cartoon. It is my understanding that Euskera is an ancient Indoeuropean languages, but although I have some Basc relatives I do not speak Euskera. 

I am very happy that your dd likes Catala! 

I really like Neflix! I wish it had had the diversity of languages it has now when my kids where growing up. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm learning Spanish, too!

My sister gave us a subscription to Disney+ for Christmas.  I enjoy watching familiar movies with the Spanish audio.  (And then my kids fuss at me when I forget to change it back.) :)

I also have enjoyed watching TedTalks in Spanish.  Those can be nice because they usually focus on just one topic.

• Like 1

@gardenmom5  I know from other threads that you and I are watching some of the same youtube channels.

I recently found Spanish with Vicente.  He is from Spain, so his accent is different from the Latin American accents I am getting used to, but his content is good.  It's still a little bit of a reach for me, but when I want a challenge I enjoy watching.

Also, I really like Superholly's channel, especially her interviews with her family.  She grew up back and forth between the US and Mexico and speaks both languages as a native speaker level.  She is really fast, though, especially on her videos with her husband.

• Like 2

@StillStanding and @Matryoshka

You both reminded me that I recently listened to some Catalan.  This is a fun youtube series that is basically a vocabulary guessing game.  Speakers of various languages have to guess the word that the person is describing in a language that none of the other players speak.  So, in this video someone who speaks Catalan is speaking to a Spanish speaker and a French speaker.  I think it's actually kind of fascinating.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 3:34 PM, Matryoshka said:

The Time in Between 

High Seas

Several people have recommended The Time in Between to me.  I haven't watched it yet, but it's on my list!