Menu

Favorite resources for a kid who asks all the how and why questions?

Bronze

My almost ten year old is a questioner--constantly thinking about the how's and why's of everything, especially in science and engineering fields. 

What books can you recommend for a kid like this? We have The Way Things Work, which is great. I need books that explain things like particle physics and plate tectonics and details of human vision processing and...all the other questions he asks that constantly stymie me. We can of course google stuff but I need offline alternatives as well.

I never used this personally, but the Mystery Science website looks intriguing.  They have a ton of videos in a sort of Q&A format.  One video is "Why do baby animals look so cute?"  and the whole video explores this one idea, at a level for young children.  

If my kids were younger I might use it whenever they ask a question, or look for something that's aligning with what they are already learning in science, or maybe have them choose which one to watch, like one per day or one per week, depending on how I'm feeling about screen time.  

• Like 1