Menu

Economics review

I posted earlier this year about a free online economics textbook:

https://www.core-econ.org/espp/index.html

We are currently in the last unit and I thought I'd update with our experience.

This is meant to be a "college level" text but I think it is suitable for most high schoolers.  It covers what would normally be found in an Econ 101 class but each topic is tied to modern issues that one would hear on the news.  Dd (11th grade) and I worked through the book together.  There are a lot of exercises embedded in the text that are best done with at least one other person to discuss.  If that is not possible, I suggest making the exercises into short essay written assignments.  Each unit has a project at the end.  We have used the projects as homework.  They are quite involved and I would suggest previewing and paring down for younger students.  In the early units, there are exercises that focus on spreadsheet use.  The projects are also very heavily dependent on advanced spreadsheet tools.  I say this because if you plan to use the projects, don't skip the in-unit spreadsheet exercises.  The book is secular and should be suitable for all political flavors everyone aside from climate change deniers.  The huge bonus to this book, if the projects are part of the plan, is that the student will walk away with excellent Excel (or Google Sheets or....) skills.  As a former university instructor, I can tell you this might be even more useful to a student than the economics education.  The economics content is presented very accessibly and in a very relatable fashion.  I learned a great deal.  And now with the economic fallout of the pandemic, both dd and I are able to understand everything we hear on the news.  I would recommend this book for anyone who wants a free option and has the bandwidth to participate with your student on some level.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

@skimommaThanks for this review. Could you speak to the time commitment per chapter, say? DS is taking a DE econ class this fall but thought a head start would not hurt anyone too badly. And we are both nul at excel....DH may need to be recruited to that cause...

Edited by madteaparty

On 6/1/2020 at 6:38 PM, madteaparty said:

@skimommaThanks for this review. Could you speak to the time commitment per chapter, say? DS is taking a DE econ class this fall but thought a head start would not hurt anyone too badly. And we are both nul at excel....DH may need to be recruited to that cause...

I would say it could be as little as 3 hours per chapter/week if you just did the reading and discussion or as much as 10 hours per chapter/week if you did the entire projects at the end of each chapter.  I wanted this to be college level for dd so she did the entire projects.  Most projects have 2-3 parts and one can do only one part if time is a consideration.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...