Menu

Appliance Poll

mom31257

Matching Appliance Colors  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should we match the white color of the other appliances, or get something more updated? We may sell the house in 1-1.5 years, and the appliances are original to the house (16 years old).

• White
    • Newer, more popular finish
    • Other, please explain in comments

We need a new dishwasher. Please give your opinion on the finish we choose. The appliances are original to the house (16 years old). We may try to sell in 1-1.5 years. 

ETA: The stove and refrigerator are working fine at this point with no indication of needing replacing, but I could anticipate the new owner needing to replace them in their first few years. Our house is not a high end home and more like the price range of a first time home buyer. 

Edited by mom31257

if you're only changing out the dishwasher, i'd stick with white. (there's actually appliance paint if it needs to be updated later. dishwashers are usually fairly easy.)  refrigerators and ranges would be a different story.

white is always available, new hot finishes - not reliable they'd be available.

• Like 1

Many manufacturers no longer offer their full line of appliances in white.   Selections may be limited to low-end or very high-end models.  

If you are looking to sell within the next two years, I'd go with a more popular color and plan to update other appliances prior to placing the house on the market.  

• Like 4

For a dishwasher, I would get a Bosch. Aren't they all stainless steel? We replaced all of our appliances over the course of a year and a half, going from white to stainless steel. The fridge was 20 years old and first to go. The dishwasher and oven both had issues. Pink stuff like algae grew in the dishwasher--no problems like that at all with our stainless steel Bosch. The only thing that worked fine was the over-the-stovetop microwave, but we replaced it when we did the oven so now everything is stainless steel, and all Samsung except the Bosch dishwasher. 

9 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

For a dishwasher, I would get a Bosch. Aren't they all stainless steel? We replaced all of our appliances over the course of a year and a half, going from white to stainless steel. The fridge was 20 years old and first to go. The dishwasher and oven both had issues. Pink stuff like algae grew in the dishwasher--no problems like that at all with our stainless steel Bosch. The only thing that worked fine was the over-the-stovetop microwave, but we replaced it when we did the oven so now everything is stainless steel, and all Samsung except the Bosch dishwasher. 

they come in white, black, and stainless.

handle or completely flat.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

LOL . I think I made this same post a year ago.

I needed to replace my white stove or refrigerator (can't remember which went bad first). I  couldn't decide if I  should replace everything with stainless (including appliances that were still working) so it would all match, or just buy a new white one. Then, about a month later, the other went out too. They could both be used for a while, just limped along so I had some time to decide.  I went with white for both because my kitchen tends to be a little dark. I am happy with the decision. 

Personally, I could never have mixed color appliances. It would drive me batty!

I have stainless steel, but I do get irritated with it.  They are very hard to clean so they constantly have fingerprints or water stains.  Back before I switched to tablets, the liquid detergent reacted with the stainless and left white drip marks that I have never been able to remove. Some stainless is magnetic, but you must make sure to get that finish if it is important to you.  If I were you I would get white.

• Like 1

I'd go with white.  Stainless is a big fat pain.  I don't understand why it is so popular, and I keep thinking that's going to end abruptly.  Plus going that way will make the kitchen look darker which does not show as well.

I'd get a Kitchen Aide, the highest end one they have.  And I might stipulate in the contract that I'm taking it with me when I sell the house.    

• Like 2

Buy the more popular stainless steel finish. That's what the people we bought our house from did and I'm glad.

We bought a 15 year old house 2 years ago.  We have had to replace the original dishwasher and original range and repair the fridge. (And replace a toilet.)  The fridge was newer and in the more popular stainless steel finish.  The original dishwasher and range were black.  When we replaced the dishwasher last year we bought a stainless steel Bosch replacement.  When the range died a few months ago we replaced it with a stainless steel Samsung replacement.

Buyers are more likely to want the more popular finish. People are probably going to be more frugal in the future, so they'll be more likely to replace things only when necessary.  Many are also more conservation minded, so they're not going to like the idea of getting rid of a new, working appliance, just to make things match. If you buy the new white one their house will likely be mismatched longer as they wait for the new one to die. Depending on the properties you'll compete against, this could factor in to their decision.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ

Thank you all for weighing in. I didn't realize that the stainless finish can be such a pain. I talked to a couple of others locally, and they thing matching is important. 

I didn't think about the brightness, and I do believe the white will make a difference.

Looking online at stoves and refrigerators, many of them had white as an option. So we're going with white. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I picked other because I don't care what color my appliances are as long as they work.

Similar.

Get a dishwasher for excellent cleaning ability and function.  If there’s a color choice get whichever you like best yourself to live with for next 1.5 years. 

I’d say white or stainless color personally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueenCat said:

Match... but consider that it would be a selling point if the appliances were all newer. If I see 15-20 year old appliances when house hunting, I know that's something I'll need to buy soon. 

I'll be the dissenting voice on this one--new appliances are not generally built to be nearly as reliable as older ones.

I'm using an old dishwasher that sounds like a garbage truck with a cough at our cabin instead of getting a new quiet one specifically because it is an old workhorse that is far less likely to fail than a new one would be.  Also, generally, newer fridges are not only less reliable but don't cool food to as low a (safe) temperature than older ones did.  The energy standards are a great idea but the manufacturers have not caught up with them yet.

So, having studied this carefully, I'd be generally a lot happier to see appliances that are 10+ years old than brand new ones, however spiffy the new ones might seem.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

So, having studied this carefully, I'd be generally a lot happier to see appliances that are 10+ years old than brand new ones, however spiffy the new ones might seem.

And this is why, in general, my household's appliances, toilets, and vehicles are all 15+ years old.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

And this is why, in general, my household's appliances, toilets, and vehicles are all 15+ years old.

Yup.

I was so bummed when we had to buy a new dishwasher 3 years ago at home.  We had babied our old one along for decades, but when the motor broke we could not get a new one as they are no longer made.  I dislike the performance of my newish fridge at the cabin.  It holds a temp of 43 or so instead of the 36-40 range that I am used to, and that means that food doesn't keep as long.  I have to do elaborate things to maintain a decent larder because of this.  I have an  overflow fridge in the basement that keeps everything colder (because it's in that cool environnment) and I stage groceries in it when I'm not going to use them right away.  Plus I have a chest freezer and freeze more food than I normally would for the same reason.  I know I'm privileged to be able to even have those, but it bugs me that the stupid new fridge forces that need.

ETA:  Although, the newer low flow toilets work really well.  Not like the first generation that didn't actually flush.  Seems that the industry finally caught up with the regulations.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

My answer depends on the placement of the dishwasher.  If it is front in center of the kitchen and/or near the refrigerator or range then I say go with white.  Otherwise I would go with stainless and also plan on replacing the rest of the appliance before you put it on the market.  Most people will want new appliances...I truly believe it is a selling point.  

48 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I would go with white but I am one of those people hoping this stainless trend will go the way of 1970s avocado and mustard colored kitchen appliances.  

stainless has been around since the 90s, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

you forgot the harvest gold.   the 70s was an ugly decade . . . shudder.

my mil painted *mahogany* furniture avocado green . . . . 

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Growing up, my parents' kitchen appliances were all pink. I think I'm inured to fashion.. 

24 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think what I am calling mustard is harvest gold.  That's what we had for a cook top in the apartment we lived in when our older son was born.  All the other appliances, including the oven had been replaced but replacing the cooktop would have meant remodeling the cabinets so the sweet elderly man who was the landlord really worked hard keeping that thing fixed.  I miss that landlord, he must be dead by now but he was such a nice person and was so excited for us when our son was born and when we bought our first house. 

And I know my hope WRT stainless is futile but I DISLIKE IT SO MUCH.  😛

Edited by LucyStoner

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

My answer depends on the placement of the dishwasher.  If it is front in center of the kitchen and/or near the refrigerator or range then I say go with white.  Otherwise I would go with stainless and also plan on replacing the rest of the appliance before you put it on the market.  Most people will want new appliances...I truly believe it is a selling point.  

It's the first appliance you see when you enter the kitchen, and you turn and immediately see the stove. 

I asked a neighbor's opinion, and he actually told me they are interested in buying the house if we sell. He said matching is best, but he also said he would be interested in buying it "as is." I think his dad is interested in rental property in our area. 

• Like 1