Menu

Help me decide high school chemistry - Excelsior vs Potter School (TPS)

I just can't decide between TPS (Potter School) and Excelsior for Chemistry next year. Mr. Riesen is teaching it at Potter School. They're both similarly priced. TPS is scheduled for a slightly more convenient time and day for us, but we could do either one. My DS will be a sophomore, and he does not plan to major in a STEM field in college. He is a music person. But he is capable of doing the work. Science and math just aren't his favorite subjects. For him, it's really about the teacher. He does best with in-person classes, but this isn't an option for chem this year. So I'm trying to find the next best thing online. He thrives on positive interaction with a teacher and classmates. He will be taking geometry this year, so he won't have completed Algebra II yet, if that's a factor. Help me decide! :) 

If Mrs Childress is still teaching it at Excelsior, I can vouch for her.  My DD who is a freshman in college had her sophomore year for Chem (started with the class at Landry & finished at Excelsior--same teacher). She took Alg 2 concurrently. It was no problem.

DD took a semester of DE Chem senior year & did really well. More importantly, DD really liked Mrs Childress.

The class is not "honors" and it doesn't take hours & hours of work.