Menu

PSA: ACT Covid19 update (July 18 ACT test center cancellations)

6 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Anyone else feeling frustrated?

We can meet here.  You can go to a salon, a bar, or a restaurant, but they can't separate desks by 8' and let kids take a test.  

Yep. The high school is holding football practice. But they can’t do the ACT.

Plus, they had so much time to figure this out. They had months to figure out protocols. Very frustrated.

A neighboring town didn’t cancel. But ours didn’t cancel until it was too late to switch. Another large system announced they were canceling in time for students to at least try alternate sites. The whole situation is so frustrating.

Anyone else like how they announced they would notify the week of May 26 but didn’t send out notifications until midday Friday? Good grief. Yes, that is within the week of May 26 but way to string it out as long as possible. 

I know there are schools in our region that didn’t cancel. So if we could have just guessed which one correctly then ds could have tested. We did discuss back when we registered if we wanted to try a private school just in case they had a greater chance but it seemed like such a guessing game. Grr!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Anyone else feeling frustrated?

We can meet here.  You can go to a salon, a bar, or a restaurant, but they can't separate desks by 8' and let kids take a test.  

Liability waiver needed. ACT doesn’t want to be sued.

For the social distancing part, the schools may not have enough classrooms and auditorium to do so. When my oldest took the ACT years ago, all the classrooms were used up as it was 20 to a classroom. With social distancing, that would be even less students per classroom.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

or set up tables outside at this point. 

Students and parents have complained about the classrooms being too cold or too hot. While South Korea, Japan and China could probably host exams in sports stadiums without a fuss, it would be hard to do that here. 

4 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Anyone else like how they announced they would notify the week of May 26 but didn’t send out notifications until midday Friday? Good grief. Yes, that is within the week of May 26 but way to string it out as long as possible. 

That is why I am more annoyed with ACT than CollegeBoard. My teens aren’t taking ACT or SAT. However I felt like ACT was stringing people along with the late confirmation. All my nearby high schools that are testing centers would not re-open until earliest mid August and I am sure ACT knows since early April.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Liability waiver needed. ACT doesn’t want to be sued.

For the social distancing part, the schools may not have enough classrooms and auditorium to do so. When my oldest took the ACT years ago, all the classrooms were used up as it was 20 to a classroom. With social distancing, that would be even less students per classroom.

Students and parents have complained about the classrooms being too cold or too hot. While South Korea, Japan and China could probably host exams in sports stadiums without a fuss, it would be hard to do that here. 

Sports stadiums are a brilliant idea! We just need to put up some tarps for shade. No problem! We let kids play and run under the sun. I don’t see what a big deal is especially when facing a pandemic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Sports stadiums are a brilliant idea! We just need to put up some tarps for shade. No problem! We let kids play and run under the sun. I don’t see what a big deal is especially when facing a pandemic. 

Parents would complain about equity. They already complained about online AP exams which is likely why the online SAT plan for Fall as contingency plan was scrapped.

• Sad 2

I also really don't get it. I work for the university that is our testing center.  I knew WEEKS before ACT called it that our campus was not going to be open.  Employees are not even allowed in campus buildings and won't be until August.  So, I did know it was coming but the only other site within a four hour drive is also a university that has the same rules as ours so it was pointless to switch.  Luckily, dd at least quit prepping once the April date was canned since I knew it wasn't going to happen in June either.  Meanwhile our restaurants are open....which FTR, I think is really shortsighted and stupid.  

I have come to believe that all testing centers in my state were cancelled because our directed health measures have all schools closed. I don't think that will change in July.

My rising senior opted to wait until the fall to try again, so she's not going to have to prep all summer. Now I have to make time to call to get our refund.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to try to reschedule the ACT to the July date. We weren't sure if the July test was going to work for us, but as I said before, we need test scores by the end of August so fall testing isn't really an option. DS has been prepping math with the idea that he was going to re-test in July to raise his subscore. The only local school that gives the ACT is showing NO seats available. I'm not sure if they're filled or it's just that the school isn't opening for testing at this time. The closest testing location would require us to drive over an hour each way. DS and I just said, "Screw it! We're done playing this game." He's studying daily and paying all this money for what? There's no guarantee of a higher score. There's no guarantee of scholarships. There's no guarantee that he get accepted where he wants to go. I'm not a fan of standardized tests anyway, but I'm done.

• Sad 1

We called ACT asking what to do about our June registration,  get it refunded or keep it open. They recommended to keep it open, in case ACT will provide an early registration for those who couldn't take the tests due to center closures. No idea if that will happen (and they didn't know it either). 

1 hour ago, pinkelement said:

We called ACT asking what to do about our June registration,  get it refunded or keep it open. They recommended to keep it open, in case ACT will provide an early registration for those who couldn't take the tests due to center closures. No idea if that will happen (and they didn't know it either). 

Of course they did. They get to keep your money longer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I haven't called yet. Test centers here never run put of room, so I'm asking for  $$ back.

Where my DS15 took many years ago was so crowded that the high school won’t be able to social distance the tables. I think the tables were the minimum required distance apart as required by ACT which was 3 feet. 

My DD took it last Saturday.  We did drive an hour to the testing center and they had kids from all over the local area bc it was the only one offering it in June.  It was social distanced- she had an entire table to herself.  They had kids in several rooms, but you could not go out of your room except to use the restroom 2 at a time. She knew several kids going, but only saw one at a distance- so no fun not being able to visit.  She said it was really weird, and she didn't know any kids on her room.  I'm just thankful she didnt have to wear a mask the whole time! 

This was her last shot- she's finished her Jr year and taking all college stuff next year.  Her score is already high enough,  just hoping for 1 more point!  Hopefully by the time the next o n.v e needs to test, this will all be straightened out!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Where my DS15 took many years ago was so crowded that the high school won’t be able to social distance the tables. I think the tables were the minimum required distance apart as required by ACT which was 3 feet. 

We live in a rural area where most kids will only take the ACT once (and basically no one takes the SAT). It is required of public schooled juniors, so they will take it on a school day and not on a Saturday like my kid. There are generally more kids from the neighboring state than from our town-but even with the cancellations, I don't expect it to fill up. The local high school spaces the kids out at desks in classrooms so the limiting factor will be proctors, not space. Academics are not a high priority in my area.

7 hours ago, RootAnn said:

We live in a rural area where most kids will only take the ACT once (and basically no one takes the SAT). It is required of public schooled juniors, so they will take it on a school day and not on a Saturday like my kid. There are generally more kids from the neighboring state than from our town-but even with the cancellations, I don't expect it to fill up. The local high school spaces the kids out at desks in classrooms so the limiting factor will be proctors, not space. Academics are not a high priority in my area.

Have you tried to register yet? I'm still wondering if the high school where we wanted to test is full from students bumped in April and June or if they have no seats because they aren't opening for testing at all. Our testing location usually doesn't fill up either which is why I thought I'd still be able to move my registration this week.

54 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Have you tried to register yet? 

We're waiting until the fall dates open. Dd decided to concentrate on her summer college class since odds are that our testing site will still be closed in July.

Eta:  My local testing center is not scheduled for the July date at all, so she couldn't take it then anyway.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

ARGH! Since we couldn't test in April...or June...and now can't test in July, we decided to forget about the test for now and just deal with the consequences of the one low subscore. DS is still studying for the one subtest he wants to retake for a higher score. I'm totally sick of the ACT, but DS decided he would continue to study and he would take the individual subtest in the fall and perhaps that would help in some way with college or scholarships or something. I just got an email from ACT that says, "ACT has postponed the rollout of section retesting to provide more opportunities for students who have yet to take the full ACT® test." OK, ACT, I think we're done with you. Just refund my money.

• Like 1

@mom2scouts

Posted on Facebook by ACT

“This past weekend was by no means a normal test experience. We thank students, parents, and test center administrators for working with us to ensure a safe test day for all.

We'd like to share an update on our plans for July testing and Fall 2020 testing.

- July testing will only happen at sites that can safely open and follow CDC & local government guidelines. We've asked test centers to share an open/closed status update with us. Students can expect an update on their test center status by the end of June.

- ACT test registration for fall 2020 and spring 2021 test dates will open at the end of July. We're exploring options to expand our test center network and evaluating opportunities to add additional test dates to provide as many safe options for testing as possible.

- We're working to ensure that students who want to take a full ACT test can. Many use score reports for admissions decisions, scholarship opportunities, placement, and career insights. In order to do this, we've made the hard decision to postpone the rollout of section retesting until later in 2021. Superscoring and online testing options will continue to be offered, as planned, at selected national test centers this fall.

- In late fall/early winter, we plan to offer a remote proctoring solution, allowing students to take the test online, at home or at other safe, convenient locations.

Read more about testing updates: https://bit.ly/3fxakKU

We understand that some students are not comfortable testing or have to deal with cancellations. If you need a refund, please use this form: https://bit.ly/2YoBwVr

We'll continue to assist you as quickly as we can and appreciate your patience.”

@mom2scouts@RootAnn

Posted on Facebook an hour ago

“JUST IN: We're working to give every student who wants to take a full ACT test the opportunity to do so. 

We are adding 3️⃣  national test dates this fall: September 19, October 10, and October 17. All students will be able to register for existing non-Saturday test dates in September and October too.

Registration will open the last week of July.

Learn more: https://bit.ly/2CwQJMN”

https://leadershipblog.act.org/2020/06/act-adds-new-fall-2020-national-test.html

“The updated fall 2020 ACT national test schedule: 

September

• Saturday, September 12 (existing)
  • Sunday, September 13 (non-Saturday, existing)
  • Saturday, September 19 (new)

October

• Saturday, October 10 (new)
  • Saturday, October 17 (new)
  • Saturday, October 24 (existing)
  • Sunday, October 25 (non-Saturday, existing)

December 

• Saturday, December 12 (existing)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mom2scouts@RootAnn

Posted on Facebook an hour ago

“JUST IN: We're working to give every student who wants to take a full ACT test the opportunity to do so. 

We are adding 3️⃣  national test dates this fall: September 19, October 10, and October 17. All students will be able to register for existing non-Saturday test dates in September and October too.

Registration will open the last week of July.

Learn more: https://bit.ly/2CwQJMN”

https://leadershipblog.act.org/2020/06/act-adds-new-fall-2020-national-test.html

“The updated fall 2020 ACT national test schedule: 

September

• Saturday, September 12 (existing)
  • Sunday, September 13 (non-Saturday, existing)
  • Saturday, September 19 (new)

October

• Saturday, October 10 (new)
  • Saturday, October 17 (new)
  • Saturday, October 24 (existing)
  • Sunday, October 25 (non-Saturday, existing)

December 

• Saturday, December 12 (existing)

Does anyone know if we can leave a cancelled registration open to register for one of these?  I tried calling twice but after being on hold for too long, I gave up.  Dd was registered for April, then June.  We have no July test sites (even without Covid) within a 2 hour drive.  I don't know if I need to request a refund and start all over again for fall or if I can just leave this until he last week of July.

Interesting that is says all students can register for non-Saturday dates. If that means my homeschooler can take it in school with the kids that take it on a school day that might increase his chances of actually getting a test in. I can picture our schools cancelling all the dates except the in school date. 

30 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Interesting that is says all students can register for non-Saturday dates. If that means my homeschooler can take it in school with the kids that take it on a school day that might increase his chances of actually getting a test in. I can picture our schools cancelling all the dates except the in school date. 

I assumed that referred to the existing Sunday test dates Sept 13 & Oct 25.

I don't see our local school hosting additional dates, so these announcements don't really change things for us. 

If you applied for a refund,could you let me know how long it took until it showed up? Haven't seen DD's yet...

12 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I assumed that referred to the existing Sunday test dates Sept 13 & Oct 25.

I don't see our local school hosting additional dates, so these announcements don't really change things for us. 

If you applied for a refund,could you let me know how long it took until it showed up? Haven't seen DD's yet...

Oh I forgot about Sunday dates.

I cannot remember the exact details of how long it took to get the refund but I feel like it was not long. Maybe a week from the time he filled out the form.

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Interesting that is says all students can register for non-Saturday dates. 

The Sunday test dates are hosted by Seven Day Adventist schools here. ACT typically allow only those with religious exemptions to take the ACT on Sunday. Now they are allowing anyone as long as the test sites have vacancies left.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The Sunday test dates are hosted by Seven Day Adventist schools here. ACT typically allow only those with religious exemptions to take the ACT on Sunday. Now they are allowing anyone as long as the test sites have vacancies left.

That makes sense. We have a Seven Day Adventist high school locally so that might be something to look into.

July 18th ACT cancelled Maryland

We got an email saying our test center is closed. Website does not show any alternate test centers. 

So I guess we will wait for September testing. My rising senior does not have any standardized testing results due to these cancellations though we do have some outside validation with CC classes and APs. . What is the last test date that could still work for college admissions for Fall 2021 College year. freaking out already. Regards. 

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Ds just got an email that his July test is a go. It still feels like "I'll believe it when I see it" but for now his test center says they can meet the CDC guidelines. 

So ds is going to start prepping again. Hopefully it sticks and he can be done.

Anyone else hear about the July test?

Just got the same email. I really hope it sticks, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aaghomeschool said:

July 18th ACT cancelled Maryland

We got an email saying our test center is closed. Website does not show any alternate test centers. 

So I guess we will wait for September testing. My rising senior does not have any standardized testing results due to these cancellations though we do have some outside validation with CC classes and APs. . What is the last test date that could still work for college admissions for Fall 2021 College year. freaking out already. Regards. 

I think colleges are going to be adaptable. Our flagship, which is the intended college for ds, normally has a nov 15 application deadline and will accept scores through the December sitting for their automatic scholarships. There is some language on their website right now that indicates that could be extended if the student could not test due to Covid. 

As frustrating as this situation is, I do feel like it will mostly work itself out. I think ACT will work to get students tested in the fall and I think colleges are going to be adaptable. But it is super frustrating! 

I actually think Ds  will eventually get to test but I think the drama and that it kept getting postponed will likely yield a lower score than if he could have just taken it in April after his prep course. So I’m not saying everything is peachy, but I do think it will mostly work itself out. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 8:10 PM, teachermom2834 said:

Ds just got an email that his July test is a go. It still feels like "I'll believe it when I see it" but for now his test center says they can meet the CDC guidelines. 

For the June test date, we got two emails within hours of each other...one saying that the test was a go and one saying it was cancelled. So that was even more of a ?!?!? moment. No one was answering the phone at our testing location, so I decided the test was a no. It's frustrating, however, it is a good lesson for me that I should NOT wait til the last testing dates of the year when it comes to my DS15. 

DD18 is scheduled for the July date (been rescheduled 2x) so we hope this will be a go.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sarahbobeara said:

For the June test date, we got two emails within hours of each other...one saying that the test was a go and one saying it was cancelled. So that was even more of a ?!?!? moment. No one was answering the phone at our testing location, so I decided the test was a no. It's frustrating, however, it is a good lesson for me that I should NOT wait til the last testing dates of the year when it comes to my DS15. 

DD18 is scheduled for the July date (been rescheduled 2x) so we hope this will be a go.

Oh man that would be so frustrating!

I have checked the list of cancelled sites a few times since to make sure his site hasn't appeared. He is taking it at the university where he does de. I just now got an email from the school about all their safety procedures for fall. They have been adamant that they would return in person in August all along and they are sticking to it for now. I was hopeful they wouldn't cancel ACT because they are really projecting how safe campus will be. Still, I'll believe it when I see it. 

• Like 2

We are having a very significant outbreak in our county so I keep checking our test center but supposedly it is still on. One week to go. 

(though, honestly, ds has lost the motivation he had and I don’t think we will end up pleased with the score but it is what it is, more fallout from the stupid virus).

On 7/11/2020 at 7:34 AM, teachermom2834 said:

We are having a very significant outbreak in our county so I keep checking our test center but supposedly it is still on. One week to go. 

(though, honestly, ds has lost the motivation he had and I don’t think we will end up pleased with the score but it is what it is, more fallout from the stupid virus).

My oldest has also lost the motivation. She's been working 30+ hours a week but we're cramming this week JUST IN CASE because so far our site is still open for Saturday's test. I'd like to know are testers expected to wear masks after being ID'ed? Anyone know?  Seems sketchy for test security (who knows what you have hidden under your mask) but masks are expected in all public places in our county. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sarahbobeara said:

My oldest has also lost the motivation. She's been working 30+ hours a week but we're cramming this week JUST IN CASE because so far our site is still open for Saturday's test. I'd like to know are testers expected to wear masks after being ID'ed? Anyone know?  Seems sketchy for test security (who knows what you have hidden under your mask) but masks are expected in all public places in our county. 

I have not seen anything about masks and am not under the impression it is required. I told my ds to pick his most comfortable one and have it on him just in case. It would seem to make sense while waiting to check in, etc. but our county is not under any kind of mask mandate and the college he is testing at says they will not require masks when class return in the fall. 

Ds is taking a practice test at this moment. We will see. Our numbers are spiking and people here were very reckless over the 4th so I'm expecting the next couple weeks to be bad.

21 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Posted on Facebook

“With ongoing COVID-19 changes and closures, please know there is a chance that your test center may close between now and test day. 

We will continue to add to our cancellations page with the most up-to-date information”

@teachermom2834@sarahbobeara

I keep checking. Still on for now but things are so much worse here than they were when previous tests canceled. This is at the university which still insists they are fully in person in the fall and is hosting students on campus for various programs right now. So, they aren't afraid of a little risk. I saw local kids moving into the dorms on Sunday and thought to myself "just in time to have an outbreak and cancel the ACT" 

Eh...I have reached it is what it is status on this. I just don't want to be the one who tells ds if they cancel at this late date. 

None of my kids have to take these tests anymore, but this caught my attention...

Can someone tell me how it's too dangerous to have kids take these tests in person for 3 hours on one day with the desks spaced further apart than they will be in classrooms this fall (standard cheating prevention), BUT it's just fine to send those same kids to school for 7 hours, 5 days a week, changing rooms every hour when there is no indication it will be any better by then (even in the places it isn't spiking, things are just kinda holding steady at best)?

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

None of my kids have to take these tests anymore, but this caught my attention...

Can someone tell me how it's too dangerous to have kids take these tests in person for 3 hours on one day with the desks spaced further apart than they will be in classrooms this fall (standard cheating prevention), BUT it's just fine to send those same kids to school for 7 hours, 5 days a week, changing rooms every hour when there is no indication it will be any better by then (even in the places it isn't spiking, things are just kinda holding steady at best)?

here schools aren’t planning on reopening. Test centers are still on, but I am sure they will cancel.

I wish they would just set up tents on a football field and run those tests outside. 

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

here schools aren’t planning on reopening. Test centers are still on, but I am sure they will cancel.

I wish they would just set up tents on a football field and run those tests outside. 

That sure would make a lot of good sense!  I really think it's past time we all started thinking outside the box, and not just 'everything is shut down' or 'everything is totally back to normal'...

Apparently our superintendent is just thinking we can send all 1600 kids back to the high school in person, in a building that was never even designed to hold that many in non-Covid times.  Gah.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Posted on Facebook

“With ongoing COVID-19 changes and closures, please know there is a chance that your test center may close between now and test day. 

We will continue to add to our cancellations page with the most up-to-date information”

@teachermom2834@sarahbobeara

Thanks for the tag! 🙂 

From what I read on the ACT Student FB page, a lot of people are just contacting the testing center/school if it's open and so they can talk to a human and get a direct answer.  A majority of these people are actually finding out that their original center was cancelled/closed and/or they were moved to a test center an hour or more away. Ours still hasn't cancelled but I will call the school she's scheduled at tomorrow. Apparently now I've griped about it so much within her hearing, she is even more *thrilled* to go sit for this test lol. Oops!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Here it’s schools closed, state u closed, test centers closed. So no ACT, SAT, CLEP, CHSPE

My husband was recently informed they would be working from home until at least January next year instead of being able to go back office in October. I didn’t bother asking the usual test centers if they will host the PSAT this year as they probably don’t know either. 

28 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Here it’s schools closed, state u closed, test centers closed. So no ACT, SAT, CLEP, CHSPE

My husband was recently informed they would be working from home until at least January next year instead of being able to go back office in October. I didn’t bother asking the usual test centers if they will host the PSAT this year as they probably don’t know either. 

I agree. My kid’s August SAT is still a go even though the school doesn’t plan to open 😂

they will cancel it. I know it. But they could have rented a football field to hold the test. They won’t 

Edited by Roadrunner