Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Calizzy

When to switch from R&S to pre algebra?

We are just finishing R&S 6 for my 6th grade dd. When do people usually switch to pre-algebra? 7th? 8th? I’ve heard r&s is a bit behind, so should we do another year before going to pre algebra? I have also read that r&s 7 is redundant and some people go from book 6 straight to 8. And insight?

Edited by Calizzy

16 hours ago, Calizzy said:

We are just finishing R&S 6 for my 6th grade dd. When do people usually switch to pre-algebra? 7th? 8th? I’ve heard r&s is a bit behind, so should we do another year before going to pre algebra? I have also read that r&s 7 is redundant and some people go from book 6 straight to 8. And insight?

There's no need to do a pre-algebra. There are many WTMers whose dc used R&S through 8th and then went directly to algebra.

R&S is definitely not "behind." It is a very traditional math series, but that does not mean it is "behind." I would have no qualms about using R&S until we went to algebra.

13 hours ago, Ellie said:

There's no need to do a pre-algebra. There are many WTMers whose dc used R&S through 8th and then went directly to algebra.

R&S is definitely not "behind." It is a very traditional math series, but that does not mean it is "behind." I would have no qualms about using R&S until we went to algebra.

Yes to this. We worked straight through grade 8 and then moved into Algebra with both of mine. R&S 7 and 8 gave a perfect prealgebra class for mine.