Menu

What side dishes to pair with carmelized baked salmon!

sheryl

Tonight's dinner will be camelized baked salmon (mixture of maple syrup, butter, salt melted in skillet) tossed in pan with this mixture and then seared to a glaze in the oven.   ****   My sister told me the ingredients.  When I researched baked salmon recipes online, her ingredients popped up with the addition of mustard.  Otherwise the maple might be too sweet.

What 2 sides?  I know you typically  see  asparagus with salmon or brussel sprouts, but I have neither.  However, I would like to serve a green, so go to store for asparagus or brussel sprouts?  Lettuce salad, cole slaw might go well.  Ideas?  

Then, another side.  I was thinking of my red lentil risoni.  But, prepare with what add ins?  I'm trying to cut waaaaaaaay back on breads, etc but maybe could bake a biscuit and dh and I could share it.

Ideas?

i probably won't use rice or pasta for tonight's meal as the lentil risoni has that texture and serves as a  substitute.  Arctic Mama, the cheddar ro lls sound great!  I'd have to choose b/t your rolls and mmasc's mashed potatoes that we do like.  I'm thinking of plating the salmon on top the risoni.  Should I flavor it?  What would go with the sauce mixture glazed on salmon (maple syrup, dijon mustard, butter, salt)?

2 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I am having trouble picturing what you mean by lentil risoni.

Risoni is like orzo right?  So, is it orzo with lentils mixed in, or is it orzo made of lentils?  

I guess  my two questions would be 

1) Is there sauce or dripping on the salmon?

2) What vegetables do you have in your house for us to choose from?

yeah, just google.  it looks and has texture of orzo or rice but is red lentil.  

above - in gredients for sauce is listed above.  i'll mix and panfry salmon just a bit and ladle more sauce on salmon before baking in oven

we have broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrots, mushroom, onion.  i need to buy celery, grape tomatoes, cauliflower which i usually have on hand but don't at the moment. i like a mix of veggies so i'd buy something else if more right for dish

11 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I'd consider risoni to be your starch, and add a vegetable.  

I like to cut up whatever veggies i have, in your case carrots, broccoli and onions, put them in the broiler with a little Italian dressing, and then toss them with some orzo.  I think your risoni would be delicious in place of the orzo.

YUM

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I would do something with a light herb flavor, chicken stock and parsley and a little tarragon, maybe. Nothing too strong if you’re serving the salmon on top.

i'm not good at using stock like that LOL

to me i think i have salmon and using chicken stock would be weird, no?  if not, i have some and can do that but my mind thinks "salmon and chicken" - how do they blend because they are so different

Man.....I really want salmon now.  My husband and I used to do baked salmon, asparagus, and baked potatoes at least once a week.  But oldest child is allergic to fish, and it's not even safe to have it in the house, so it's been a long time.  Once in awhile I'll order it when we go out, but it's never as good as the way we made it.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Man.....I really want salmon now.  My husband and I used to do baked salmon, asparagus, and baked potatoes at least once a week.  But oldest child is allergic to fish, and it's not even safe to have it in the house, so it's been a long time.  Once in awhile I'll order it when we go out, but it's never as good as the way we made it.  

Aww.   Do you have friends/family near by where you could make it a date out dinner and make salmon there?

10 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Chicken stock is super neutral, I just use it in place of water in rice or lentil dishes to  add flavor with the salt 😉

When I still lived up north and we dip netted every year we tended to have about 80-ish salmon filets when it was a good season, so I got rather adept at preparing it easily.  It pairs shockingly well with many flavors, even cheesy and milky.  Salmon in place of tuna in tuna casserole recipes is probably one of my biggest comfort foods, right up there with salmon teriyaki rice bowls!

Honestly, I'd LOVE those salmon recipes.  I'd love to incorporate more salmon.  My dh worked with a man (at his previous job) and this man had an Alaskan cabin (2nd home)! One   year he brought back fresh salmon that he had to keep packed on dry ice but still!    YUM!  Fresh is so good!

Arctic Mama,  that is so kind of you!  Thank you.  I was finishing up dinner. These look delicious and will find a way to print  off!   I'm excited to try the salmon burgers. THANKS!!!

OK, I can NOT stand horseradish.  What would you substitute with?

Edited by sheryl

18 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

In the dill salmon or the burgers? A little heat is so nice, try sriracha! I’ve done them with sriracha before and it was probably even better than horseradish.

I don't like it at all, so both.  I'm going out on a limb to say it's probably stronger in the dill recipe b/c there are fewer ingredients.   Is that right? But, I prefer not to use it in either recipe.   

33 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

No, totally sub in sriracha to taste in either, or chili flakes.  It’s just to give it some heat, enough to make it interesting and not bland.  Even my kids like it.  Horseradish isn’t necessary in either as a flavor element, per se.

Ok,  thanks for that!  I will gladly  sub that.  Like sriracha, red pepper flakes, etc!