Menu

Protests

rebcoola

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I have never once heard any American say or insinuate that the states are like countries within Europe until this thread. This idea is 100% baffling to me. I honestly don’t think most Americans see it that way, either, unless maybe it serves their purpose in the moment? Frankly I find the idea completely absurd. 🤷‍♀️

Not the first time I have seen it on this forum. 

always used in a justification and trying to fudge figures type of way to make out that USA isn’t doing as poorly as it is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I see it as they want the right to go out and have other people serve them, maybe more so  than their right to go back to work. 

So these people  in all of the stores and businesses opening, what if the employees are scared and don’t want to go out yet? If they refuse, they can be fired, and then they won’t be eligible for a quick unemployment benefit? What if they want to stay home until it’s been 14 days of decreasing cases, or whatever the President stated in his phase briefing a few days ago. Maybe the states are opening now partly so that the unemployment costs won’t be so severe? 

Are the social distancing rules totally gone in these states now? Because how can you get a tatoo, get a manicure or your hair colored sitting 6 feet away from the employee? 

Or a massage?!?!?  What I wouldn't give for one of those, but no way, no how for a very, very long time!!!

27 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I see it as they want the right to go out and have other people serve them, maybe more so  than their right to go back to work. 

So these people  in all of the stores and businesses opening, what if the employees are scared and don’t want to go out yet? If they refuse, they can be fired, and then they won’t be eligible for a quick unemployment benefit? What if they want to stay home until it’s been 14 days of decreasing cases, or whatever the President stated in his phase briefing a few days ago. Maybe the states are opening now partly so that the unemployment costs won’t be so severe? 

Are the social distancing rules totally gone in these states now? Because how can you get a tatoo, get a manicure or your hair colored sitting 6 feet away from the employee? 

You know this is what it sounded like to me too. But when I listened closely I found a number of them worried about their friend's business etc. 

Of course, now there is simply under the table hair cuts etc. Which of course, could keep those who are obeying the rules out of the marketplace longer. 

On 4/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, kand said:

I totally agree, but it goes so much farther than just the risk to themselves, as they are all going to be out in the grocery stores and other places, spreading around what they picked up while congregating in large groups. I wish all those that gathered in these large groups would now be required to quarantine for 14 days so they don’t make the cases in their counties spike back up. It’s so stupid of them, because they’ve just made it more likely that it will take longer to get case counts down where things can open up. So many places were headed that direction and these ding dongs may have messed it up for everyone. It makes me so mad. 

It is ironic, I think, that the Open Everything people may close more things--if, for example, grocery store workers like my sister decide, in significant numbers, that the risk of bringing the virus home now exceeds the paycheck of a clerk minus the cost of medical care, or simply if more get sick. (Her store has good practices, but not everyone in her household is low-risk, and I'm certain they're not giving her health insurance, much less the rest of the family. Another household member is employed in a different essential business; I don't know if that offers insurance either. In any case, insurance covers part of the financial cost, not physical cost.)

We may wind up with stores open shorter hours and with less stock. Or with longer delays before the dentist chooses to deal with anything but an emergency. Or with a yo-yo of openings and closings. Or with schools delaying opening until 2021.

There was a protest here as well, reportedly. I did not go out with a sign telling people I'd Been Sick for ~40 days and they should Buy Some Freaking Scissors like the rest of us if they need a haircut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

94617753_10102964603827593_7239888867489218560_o.jpg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

To be crass, are you guys also watching the European countries that are opening before parts of the U.S. and also hoping their citizens get infected? That's exactly how you come across.

No one is hoping anyone gets infected.  I think we all really wish that the naysayers are right and it will just go away when we reopen the economy.  I would be really happy to be wrong, alive and everyone have their jobs back.

but yeah we are kind of watching Italy and now the US to see what happens and guide policy.  It’s not that we’re asking you to do the experiment but if you do public policy here will definitely be guided by what happens there.  I also feel like we need to be cautious about claiming victory here too soon. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

It is ironic, I think, that the Open Everything people may close more things--if, for example, grocery store workers like my sister decide, in significant numbers, that the risk of bringing the virus home now exceeds the paycheck of a clerk minus the cost of medical care, or simply if more get sick. (Her store has good practices, but not everyone in her household is low-risk, and I'm certain they're not giving her health insurance, much less the rest of the family. Another household member is employed in a different essential business; I don't know if that offers insurance either. In any case, insurance covers part of the financial cost, not physical cost.)

We may wind up with stores open shorter hours and with less stock. Or with longer delays before the dentist chooses to deal with anything but an emergency. Or with a yo-yo of openings and closings. Or with schools delaying opening until 2021.

There was a protest here as well, reportedly. I did not go out with a sign telling people I'd Been Sick for ~40 days and they should Buy Some Freaking Scissors like the rest of us if they need a haircut.

I watched the pink and Ellen interview and she’s cut her own hair and gone natural colour.  If celebrities are doing it maybe it will become fashion.

• Like 2

The Memphis mayor is saying that we will not be opening up at least until May 5, because we do not have 14 days of falling numbers locally. I'm glad. Unfortunately if the surrounding counties open up and we don't, it just means that there will likely be more traffic from our area out, and even if their numbers look good now, that won't mean they will stay good. 

I got a message from the community center to let them know what my plan for reopening my classes is, with the expectation of masks and gloves, no groups over 10 and 6+ feet distance. I had already told them that I plan to stay online, because teaching piano though a camera is more effective than 6+ feet away (and I sing in lessons a lot, especially with my little ones). I'm wondering how many instructors will be willing/able to make their classes work. 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quill said:

This is one of the things I don’t understand when people are pushing some version of it’s not deadly/it’s a power grab/we all had this last December. Are they totally ignoring what has happened/is happening is NY and NJ? Do they just not believe people are actually dying? 

My dh was reading out a FB post that was “explaining” how we all have herd immunity. My question is, “How can someone believe that when we saw what happened in Italy! And Spain! People dying in the hospital hallways or at home because there’s no help available.” I just do not understand the wishful thinking that motivates a post like that. (And it is only more baffling to me when the poster claims to be “Pro-Life”!) 

It's no different from when it was mostly Wuhan and I'd say, "Look at what's going on in China!!!" only to be told that we aren't like China. Then it was in Italy and Iran, and I said, "Look at what's happening there!!! Do you think we're so different?" only to be told we aren't like Italy or Iran. Now it's in New York, New Jersey, Detroit, etc...but for some reason it's still too far away to be take seriously by some people. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 4/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, StellaM said:

Oh my goodness Mercy, where do you live?!! (rhetorical question)

And are you safe amid the nuttery?!

Oh, Stella. I am safe 😉but upset.

I live in Indiana.

[Removed for privacy]

I have my faults (do I ever) and blind spots, but I was surprised and shaken by [their] opinions.

I just have to remind myself that I am friends with many people with whom I disagree on many things, and that when people get the majority of their news from one source (or so it would seem), it naturally colors their views. 

Our church is not taking it seriously and is putting people's lives at risk. It is very disheartening and one more example, to me, of stupid partisan politics trumping (ha!) Biblical thinking and action.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 6

Not quoting you Mercy, but absolutely agree with you. I can not believe the people from my church who seem to hold their political beliefs more strongly than their Christian ones. I actually can't believe you can have political beliefs about a virus pandemic but I guess I've learnt something there.

ETA - A pox on you Democrats for arranging this coronavirus pandemic! 😂

Edited by TCB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TCB said:

Not quoting you Mercy, but absolutely agree with you. I can not believe the people from my church who seem to hold their political beliefs more strongly than their Christian ones. I actually can't believe you can have political beliefs about a virus pandemic but I guess I've learnt something there.

Exactly. I had no idea of the extent and strength of the political beliefs in my church until this pandemic. We support the local food pantry; we feed poor kids and families; we love all kinds of people. (Those things should be givens, I know, but they weren't always at previous churches.) I thought we were better than this. 😞 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I guess maybe the protests worked here.  My county is still closed.  But the commissioners of the next county voted to open.  Which should be interesting since we are in Tri-Cities Wa one metro with 2 cities in my county and 1 city in the other county.  No idea if they even have the power to repeal the governor's order but they think they do.  

Edited by rebcoola
Clarity
  • Sad 1

I think that could be symbolic?  A neighboring county to us had a vote about guns, to make regulations less strict than the state regulations, and it didn’t actually go into effect, but did show that people did not agree with the state regulation.  That is my understanding at least.  

13 hours ago, wendyroo said:

This is what I am seeing and hearing as well.

The protesters want their God given freedom...to boat, golf, get their hair cut, fish, go out to eat, buy craft supplies at Walmart, etc.

My favorite complaint locally was from an older lady insisting that all clothing stores must open fully because she couldn't possibly buy pants online. She can only wear elastic band pants and it's just so hard to find ones that fit (?) and she absolutely cannot find these very special pants with an online order/2 hour curbside pick up to try on at home.  Ok, let's start... 

1) Where the heck are you going that you need new pants?

2) Lady, you are old enough to have ordered stuff out of the Sears catalog. That stuff took 6-8 weeks to arrive for you to find out it didn't fit, so stop with the "2 hour curbside pickup is oppressing my freedoms!" schtick.

3) Like elastic waistband old lady pants are such a rare bird that you've got to hunt for them in person. Hush now.

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Lecka said:

I think that could be symbolic?  A neighboring county to us had a vote about guns, to make regulations less strict than the state regulations, and it didn’t actually go into effect, but did show that people did not agree with the state regulation.  That is my understanding at least.  

No it was real. The commissioners look like idiots because it took about 30 seconds of research to show they couldn't do this. The governor has responded and even some talk they could face some legal ramifications.

• Sad 1

So I was worried about todays protest.

Most said they were upset about the Mayor's but not the Governor's plan. I do think the biggest city might need tighter restrictions so I don't agree with them but the event leaders made it a rolling protest to keep people in cars so they were responsible. Makes me proud to be an Alaskan even if we disagree. 

• Like 1

Apparently we have our own protests in Aus.  They are protesting 5G rollouts.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-australia-nsw-police-break-up-protest-against-5g-roll-out-mullumbimby-c-994800.amp?__twitter_impression=true

”A man suffered a head injury when he headbutted the side mirror of the tow truck but did not require hospitalisation, police said.“

• Haha 5