Menu

Help with Google Classroom

math teacher

Ok- I know how to make as assessment in Google Forms and upload to google classroom. What I cannot figure out is how to take an existing  pdf (think math with pictures/models) and put it in classroom so that my students can type in it and turn it in digitally. 

If I just upload from my drive into classroom, students cannot type in it-is that correct?

I'll take any help.

I believe that is correct. One option is to upload the pdf, they do the work in a notebook or print the pdf and write on there, then they take a picture and upload that to classroom. One teacher I work with is looking at Goformative.com just so she could use Kuta worksheets and then it creates a space for the kids to type in their answers.

from a math teacher to Math teacher - Hi!

I do not know anything about Google Classroom.  But goformative is really fun.  You can upload a PDF, and then click near the question (on a PDF) and it creates a fillable form.  You can make many types of questions - multiple choice, short answer.  Even with the free version, you can type math into the questions (but not into the answers without the paid version).  I know that it must integrate with Google Classroom, you can sign in automatically with a gmail acccount.  If you are watching the kids work, you can see their answers as they type and talk to them through your virtual classroom.  I am 100% most certainly paying for Formative and using it next year even when we meet in person again.  

You can also set the background of a slide (in Google Slides) as your worksheet.  And then add text boxes for the kids to type their answers. I know how to do it in PowerPoint.  It should be the similar in Google Slides.

Reply if that helps.  There is a math teacher group on Facebook where teachers are talking about all these issues.  It is for the curriculum from TPT that I use.  If you have anything from Gina (ATA), then you know how good her stuff is.

17 minutes ago, LJPPKGFGSC said:

I do not know anything about Google Classroom.  But goformative is really fun.  You can upload a PDF, and then click near the question (on a PDF) and it creates a fillable form.  You can make many types of questions - multiple choice, short answer.  Even with the free version, you can type math into the questions (but not into the answers without the paid version).  I know that it must integrate with Google Classroom, you can sign in automatically with a gmail acccount.  If you are watching the kids work, you can see their answers as they type and talk to them through your virtual classroom.  I am 100% most certainly paying for Formative and using it next year even when we meet in person again.  

You can also set the background of a slide (in Google Slides) as your worksheet.  And then add text boxes for the kids to type their answers. I know how to do it in PowerPoint.  It should be the similar in Google Slides.

Reply if that helps.  There is a math teacher group on Facebook where teachers are talking about all these issues.  It is for the curriculum from TPT that I use.  If you have anything from Gina (ATA), then you know how good her stuff is.

Yes, you can make the pdf the background in Google slides and add the textboxes. There's tutorials on youtube that will show you how to do it. Sometimes it's just faster to retype the document. 

Make sure that when you assign it in Google Classroom that you select the make a copy for every student box. Otherwise they'll all be typing on the same document. That's always a good time. 🙄

36 minutes ago, LJPPKGFGSC said:

I will look into Formative. Thanks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

The school I last taught at was a 1:1 school, and Notability came preinstalled, so all my students could download a pdf to Notability and type on it, turn it into a pdf and return it to the teacher.  But if you're BYOD, and haven't set up required software that's harder.  

We're 1:1, but we have nothing to make the process easy. I'm at home trying to figure it out. 

I have 2 students who are doing their work online. The rest are paper packets. This is ridiculous for 2 students.

4 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

We're 1:1, but we have nothing to make the process easy. I'm at home trying to figure it out. 

I have 2 students who are doing their work online. The rest are paper packets. This is ridiculous for 2 students.

I think I'd be sending those 2 kids packets!

I believe this is the tutorial I used when I trialed it. I've not used it in class though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QynnNxGZc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3lYBfmZylkK0nzWacufyPJHKU3RqKEU_QPZvQHDV8yIyIRcTI6qvKY4pI&app=desktop

Often if I have a table or picture from a pdf that I want to insert, I'll use the snipping tool feature (or equivalent) to convert the image to a jpg. Then the image can be inserted into the document. If the original image is clear you can often get a usable jpg this way.