Menu

refrigerator and pantry oddities

Does buttercream frosting spoil?  I found a small dish of it shoved to the back of the refrigerator.  It was made in mid-February. It looks and smells fine.  Make a small cake or toss the frosting?

What can I do with barley, other than barley soup?  Vegetarian-friendly ideas preferred.  

What are your favorite white rice flour recipes that do not require exotic ingredients?  At the moment, yeast is exotic.  I don't remember buying the flour but probably intended to try to make dosa.

Barley is great as a cooked grain in salads. Or as the base for grain bowls. I am not sure how the cook time compares wth farro, but this is one of my favorite dishes to make and you should be able to do it with barley: https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/07/one-pan-farro-with-tomatoes/

I would toss the frosting. I don't think it can still taste good, even though it may be safe as butter and sugar don't spoil.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

If the frosting looks and smells fine, give it a small taste.  If it tastes fine then it’s most likely fine.  The back of the fridge, IME, tends to get pretty cold (that’s where I find the most things “frozen” in the fridge). Though if it was uncovered, it’s probably dried out and kinda gross, even if it is safe.  

(I wouldn’t however make a cake just to use the frosting   I would only use it if I was already planning to make the cake or donuts or cinnamon rolls or whatever)

• Like 2

Toss the frosting.

I’d use the rice flour for roti. Use a 1:1 ratio with warm water and a pinch of salt. That’s it. Roll it out, and cook it in the skillet.

For the barley, I would put it into a curry. Google a recipe with whatever ingredients you have. 🙂 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Buttercream frosting is just butter and sugar? I’d probably grab a spoon, take it to the basement and eat it all by myself . We’ve got a serious shortage of sweet stuff  in our house right now, lol.

Or sandwiched in Graham crackers if you have those but have run out of milk...

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Or sandwiched in Graham crackers if you have those but have run out of milk...

I used to make cakes for people and my kids grew up eating leftover buttercream on graham crackers for a snack.  I generally freeze leftover buttercream but If it’s in the fridge I’d let it come to room temp and try some to see if it still tastes good.  

• Like 3

Barley can be used similar to rice, like as a grain with a stir fry.  Or can be used as a breakfast porridge like oatmeal. 

• Like 1