Menu

Science for 7th grader who hasn’t had much

Calizzy

My oldest will be in 7th grade in the fall and I am looking for a science program for her. We have lightly done 2 years of science. She has read through apologia astronomy (5th grade) and physical science (6th grade) on her has done some of the experiments also on her own. I haven’t done an good job of engaging her on it and with no teacher involvement I don’t think she has retained much. She doesn’t show much interest in science and isn’t super curious about science things. I am willing to be more involved than I have been in the past. And I think outlining would help with retention. But I need a simple curriculum with a few experiments (not a ton) that would give her a basic foundation. Any suggestions?

I always recommend Ellen McHenry's Kitchen Chemistry as a most excellent, one-semester, highly-engaging science course. Even for kids who are not into science, this course is just fantastic. I supplement with fun stuff like sticky brains, brain erasers, brain pens, and plush neurons (Amazon items), and other incentives for homework completed. It is so much fun! Follow that course with Carbon Chemistry and you have a full year of super interesting science!

We use Cambridge Primary Science for younger ages but they have an Essential Science for lower secondary.   We went with it this year because it’s affordable - if it didn’t work but also has some hands on activities and is really easy paced. We did not want a experiment every week because living in Alaska running out to gather supplies when the nearest box store is a 1.5 hours away and amazon can take weeks to show up was a huge factor. We have tried other programs and this was just a nice way to ease the kids into science without overwhelming me.