Menu

PSA: June SAT cancelled. Added Sept date

Hi all - The College Board just cancelled the June SAT test dates. However, they have added a new test date for Sept. You can sign up for fall dates starting in May.  (Also - many schools are going to test-optional for next year) https://pages.collegeboard.org/collegeboard-covid-19-updates?fbclid=IwAR3jlZAHkIyOzW07oBhaMMXHsw11U0EoVS4biyTOxRZ8AEol1wOyc_CGSfo

• Like 1

I'm not happy about this. DS is applying for a SA and has to send in scores by August. He's taken the ACT, but really needs to increase one of his subscores to have any chance. He was thinking about taking the SAT in June and now I'm worried that ACT will cancel too. So far, none of the colleges he's considering have said they'll be test optional.

• Like 1

@mom2scouts - I have no idea what the College Board or ACT will do. However, right now international kids have the take the ACT online (at a text center location - and I assume they will be cancelling those b/c of the pandemic) I assume the ACT folks are accelerating their online access here in the states - in the fall it was scheduled to be available at certain test centers. Maybe they will be expanding access?  The SAT says the are looking to expand access to tests in the fall- so that any kid who wants to take it will be able to find a seat.

And I'm sure you already know that the ACT has planned for  kids to be able to take just one subsection in the fall (instead of having to take the whole test again).

I'm betting that more schools will be forced to go test optional come fall.

I just rescheduled DD's April ACT to the June date and really hope it isn't cancelled. She hasn't taken it yet and needs a score to be eligible for scholarships and for class placement for her college application this fall. She wanted to get it done in April so now she's stuck continuing to prep until June. I could have rescheduled to the July date but I'm hoping to hit the 'open' window before things shut down again for the next wave (assuming that happens).

None of us want her to have take it on a computer. That would be so disastrous for my kids.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, showelott said:

@mom2scouts - I have no idea what the College Board or ACT will do. However, right now international kids have the take the ACT online (at a text center location - and I assume they will be cancelling those b/c of the pandemic) I assume the ACT folks are accelerating their online access here in the states - in the fall it was scheduled to be available at certain test centers. Maybe they will be expanding access?  The SAT says the are looking to expand access to tests in the fall- so that any kid who wants to take it will be able to find a seat.

And I'm sure you already know that the ACT has planned for  kids to be able to take just one subsection in the fall (instead of having to take the whole test again).

I'm betting that more schools will be forced to go test optional come fall.

Unfortunately, the fall subsection tests come a bit to late for DS. Maybe we'll do it then anyway in case he can use it later if he needs to reapply or if can use it for scholarships.

I'm just glad DD's 8th grade scores are decent. And hoping scholarship matrices don't change much. She was expecting to be able to get a few more points, just to be safe, and that seems unlikely to happen before she needs to get applications in this fall. 

• Like 1

I wonder how National Merit will handle confirming scores for kids who don't have a SAT or ACT score yet. I assume most NMSF will already have one, but for those that don't? ...

@showelott I haven't seen a lot of schools comment on the ACT's plan for allowing kids to just take one section at a time. However, I have seen at least two which said they will not consider those scores. They will only consider 'whole seating' (my word) scores. These were schools which also do not allow superscoring on the ACT now. It'll probably take a year or two for most schools to adjust their policies. So the subsection retakes might not be as useful for seniors as they might otherwise be.