Menu

Anyone get their stimulus Money?

Scarlett

Yes, I think so, but it wasn’t an even number. So I’m wondering if something else was included with it (we had to file an amended 2018 return and we were due a little bit of additional money - would they have added that to our stimulus deposit?). I’m confused about what we received!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Yes, I think so, but it wasn’t an even number. So I’m wondering if something else was included with it (we had to file an amended 2018 return and we were due a little bit of additional money - would they have added that to our stimulus deposit?). I’m confused about what we received!

The stimulus phases out starting at Adjusted Gross Income of $75,000 for single, $112,500 for head of household, and $150,000 for joint returns. So if your income is over those limits, it decreases the amount by a percentage. That could cause an uneven number. 

I doubt they would add anything as they are speeding to get these out, but maybe. I would think they would be just running these and dealing with the other business later, but the IRS is not always logical. 

Maybe this will help: Start with figuring out your stimulus amount expected - it is $1200 per adult plus $500 per child eligible for the child tax credit. For example, a family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids) would get $3,400. If you received less, then check your Adjusted Gross Income (line 8ish) on 2018 or 2019 tax (if you've filed 2019). If you made more than the amounts in the first paragraph, that would be the reason your stimulus is smaller. If you received more than expected, then I'd check the amount of your 2018 amount due to see if it was added to it.  

Then again, there were the people who found over $8 million in their accounts, so maybe they just messed up LOL! https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/jobs-economy/os-ne-coronavirus-stimulus-check-woman-finds-85-million-bank-account-20200415-okk4li5gs5gapc7caszhoqujzi-story.html

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I did for me but not my kids.  Lots of debate in how special needs kids over 17 will be handled...so more might be coming in the future.

I thought it was weird that kids under 17 qualify. Not 18. Not 21/25. So college kids that we listed as dependents? No they don’t count for us, or for themselves. My college kids get nothing.  Which thankfully is okay for mine for now, but there’s many it won’t be okay for bc they still have bills too. For example, I think it’s normal for the average 18-20 yr old to have their own car insurance and car payments to make.  Personally, I wouldn’t be able to pay those extra bills for them. Thankfully mine happen to own beater cars and we pay with car insurance. But I think the stimulus should be for number of dependents, regardless of age. For example, there’s also families taking care of elderly dependents, like one of my best friends whose mom has Alzheimers.

But something is for sure better than nothing. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, slackermom said:

I don't think so. No deposits into any of our personal accounts. Possibly something went into my ex's business checking account. Or maybe it got held back since we have outstanding taxes? will have to investigate.

my exceedingly limited understanding is unpaid taxes or unpaid child support will mean no stimulus or reduced stimulus.

Just now, beckyjo said:

We received ours this morning as well. I'm trying not to be bitter about the fact that my oldest receives nothing - she is an 18 year old high school senior, so $0 for her either on her own or ours since she is claimed as a dependent.

I am not bitter but my young adults sure as heck are. This leaves a huge number of young adults with nothing. And it leaves a huge number of families with stimulus checks that don’t reflect how many people they have to help care for too.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

my exceedingly limited understanding is unpaid taxes or unpaid child support will mean no stimulus or reduced stimulus.

Well I suppose a $2900 credit towards our bill is worth something at least. But it does not help much in the short term.

Ours was direct deposited yesterday. Ds 22 lives at home and we still claim him so he didn't get anything, but he's the one who needs it. Honestly we are fine and although it will help we really didn't need it. I feel bad for those who need it and are still waiting. I'm also surprised at the number of people who think it's "free" money. 

59 minutes ago, kokotg said:

yes, ours, too. We got $$ for our soon to be 17 year old, too, which was a nice surprise since I'd read the cut off was turning 17 before the end of the year.

Yes...I was unsure how my 17 yo would be handled as he just  turned 17 this year. He was 16 when we filed so he qualified for the child tax credit for the last time but I never could figure out if we would get the stimulus money for him since he is now 17. So that was a nice surprise. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

We received ours this morning as well. I'm trying not to be bitter about the fact that my oldest receives nothing - she is an 18 year old high school senior, so $0 for her either on her own or ours since she is claimed as a dependent.

Yep. My 19 yo who lost his job in this is the one in our family who gets nothing. My just turned 17 yo got in under the cutoff so we did get something for him. I understand how they figured it but 17-19 year olds can be very expensive! My 21 yo filed independently for the first time this year so nice that he got it. It sure isn't "fair" though. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Several of my friends posted on FB that they got their checks. I can't get into my bank account at all today, so I'm thinking deposits or people logging in to check may be overloading it. It is weird that my 17 year old doesn't get anything. He's still a minor, a junior in high school, works sometimes, and eats more than the rest of us combined.

8 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Several of my friends posted on FB that they got their checks. I can't get into my bank account at all today, so I'm thinking deposits or people logging in to check may be overloading it. It is weird that my 17 year old doesn't get anything. He's still a minor, a junior in high school, works sometimes, and eats more than the rest of us combined.

I was having this trouble, too. The main page of the credit union said they were having "unprecedented traffic." I finally got on just now and the $ was there. 

37 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Our 17 year old junior received his, so there’s hope. I wasn’t expecting it for him at all. 

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I thought it was weird that kids under 17 qualify. Not 18. Not 21/25. So college kids that we listed as dependents? No they don’t count for us, or for themselves. My college kids get nothing.  Which thankfully is okay for mine for now, but there’s many it won’t be okay for bc they still have bills too. For example, I think it’s normal for the average 18-20 yr old to have their own car insurance and car payments to make.  Personally, I wouldn’t be able to pay those extra bills for them. Thankfully mine happen to own beater cars and we pay with car insurance. But I think the stimulus should be for number of dependents, regardless of age. For example, there’s also families taking care of elderly dependents, like one of my best friends whose mom has Alzheimers.

But something is for sure better than nothing. 

Yes, this really hurt out daughter who has graduated and is working.  But I talked with her older sister about this and how it was very similar to the situation our son was in back in 2012.  He had a job that was minimum wage plus 25 cents more or something close to that.  He filed his taxes and I thought he wouldn't have to pay tax since he was so lowly paid and there was an Earned Income Credit.  Turns out that he was too responsible and too young to get the credit-- he was 23 (and not our dependent) but he also hadn't irresponsibly made any babies.

I have zero idea why Congress keeps hurting parents and students and people of this age group.  I believe the Earned Income age limits that you can't get it before you are something like 25 still exist and now claiming as an exemption doesn't lower your taxes but you are still required to list them, and now this stimulus doesn't cover either them or their parents (with regards to them).  And the worse things about all this is this age group has a lot of low income people and people who are hurt by this pandemic.  My dd who isn't getting it is one of the lucky ones who has a job that still exists.

• Sad 2

We are going to receive little or nothing and I am super irritated

Our 22 yo college attending, multiple health challenges dd is stil claimed as a dependent on our taxes so she gets nothing & we get nothing.

Our middle dd turned 17 mid-Dec of 2019 so nothing for her.

After years of barely paying their employees Dh’s company was finally sold in 2019 and stock options,  PTO & any unused vacation time had to be paid out therefore on paper Dh made more than double what he made the year before, even though it was all so heavily taxed or rolled into our 401K which just took a nose dive, that we didn’t see a big cash influx, but it put us over the top of receiving the full stimulus payment.  

Amber in SJ

• Sad 6

I wonder if the 18yos can file thier own taxes, with just listing babysitting income of maybe $20 but not claiming themselves.  That way they are filing taxes to get the stimulus check, but dont have to produce a w2.

11 minutes ago, Tap said:

I wonder if the 18yos can file thier own taxes, with just listing babysitting income of maybe $20 but not claiming themselves.  That way they are filing taxes to get the stimulus check, but dont have to produce a w2.

Not if they are your dependents and the IRS says that if you are supporting them for over 50%, you are required to list them as dependents.  Otherwise we wouldn't have done that.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Amber in SJ said:

We are going to receive little or nothing and I am super irritated

Our 22 yo college attending, multiple health challenges dd is stil claimed as a dependent on our taxes so she gets nothing & we get nothing.

Our middle dd turned 17 mid-Dec of 2019 so nothing for her.

After years of barely paying their employees Dh’s company was finally sold in 2019 and stock options,  PTO & any unused vacation time had to be paid out therefore on paper Dh made more than double what he made the year before, even though it was all so heavily taxed or rolled into our 401K which just took a nose dive, that we didn’t see a big cash influx, but it put us over the top of receiving the full stimulus payment.  

Amber in SJ

THIS.  You can't believe how irritated and angry I am that not only won't we get the stimulus, but we didn't get to claim college expenses for dd2, claim student loan expenses for dd1 and ds even though we paid them and were co-signers.  Our taxable income would have let us get a small amount of stimulus.  But not our adjusted.  And it super riles me up that we pay a much higher percentage of our income in charitable donations than most of those people way higher incomes than we.  It isn't that I think we shouldn't be paying income taxes but the reality is that people in our income bracket get ripped off. We are the people who are expected to pay full price for our kid's college expenses but we are also the people who do not have enough money and our getting our income in wages so there is absolutely no way we can hide our assetts.  We cannot do (and wouldn;t do) what my dd1's inlaws do which is charging everything as a business expense.  

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Not if they are your dependents and the IRS says that if you are supporting them for over 50%, you are required to list them as dependents.  Otherwise we wouldn't have done that.

I haven't done my own (or kids) taxes in a long time. I thought that we claimed the as dependents as long as they were under 18, and they filed their own taxes for their income. I remember there being a box on TurboTax that they checked to say that something to the effect of "someone else is claiming me as a dependent". My older kids both had jobs in high school and filed their own taxes.  

I absolutely could be wrong!  I have zero to do with taxes other than putting mail in a file during tax season. 

NEVERMIND>>>>>I found an article that says if a student was claimed as a dependent on someone elses taxes, they won't be eligible. Bummer!  😞

Edited by Tap

My adult child, who filed 2018 and 2019, received hers on Saturday.  My husband and I, who just filed 2019 last week, received ours today.

My 21 year old college student of course didn't receive anything. He is not bitter (as some above in similar situations). But it seems odd to omit those 18+ year old dependents, if for nothing else, potential political consideration. It's a pretty egregious omission, surely not an oversight.

• Like 1

Yes. And I was bummed because we didn’t get the whole thing like I was expecting. We don’t make close to $150,000 so I didn’t do any calculations. Turns out the move dh’s employer paid for last year did in fact put us over the max. Kind of a bummer and I didn’t realize moves were so expensive! Dh still has his job, so we will be fine, but despite not paying for our move, we did spend quite a bit extra last year on moving related expenses and I was hoping to replace some of that savings.

5 hours ago, beckyjo said:

Nothing for the seniors and nothing for the college kids who are still dependents and find themselves out of their meal plan.  It means many of them can't work and the parents are paying for them to eat while they already paid for a meal plan.  We have two who fell through the 17-21 hole, but obviously, still not complaining mostly because our income hasn't been affected yet.  But, I tell ya, for parents who are affected and now have 2-3 kids at home or who are in apartments but lost their meal plan? Ugh.  Our university is refunding 50% of the meal plan, but those refunds won't come in until June either.  It's a rough go for some parents of older students.  Frankly, I think the 18+ crowd should have gotten money if they earned money and both paid and filed taxes last year. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tap said:

No.  I don't know if anyone has responded to this, but nope.  My dd did field labor when she was 15, 16, and 17.  Claimed the income - no W2.  Last year she worked CFA and had a W2.  Still filed.  No, there is a gap - the 17-21 crowd just aren't getting any stimulus, neither as an adult nor as a child, so long as they were claimed as a dependent.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

THIS.  You can't believe how irritated and angry I am that not only won't we get the stimulus, but we didn't get to claim college expenses for dd2, claim student loan expenses for dd1 and ds even though we paid them and were co-signers.  Our taxable income would have let us get a small amount of stimulus.  But not our adjusted.  And it super riles me up that we pay a much higher percentage of our income in charitable donations than most of those people way higher incomes than we.  It isn't that I think we shouldn't be paying income taxes but the reality is that people in our income bracket get ripped off. We are the people who are expected to pay full price for our kid's college expenses but we are also the people who do not have enough money and our getting our income in wages so there is absolutely no way we can hide our assetts.  We cannot do (and wouldn;t do) what my dd1's inlaws do which is charging everything as a business expense.  

Christina, I'm confused? Taxable vs. adjusted?  So you're saying you fall under the $150k/annually with no kids at home - therefore ineligible or ? 
That income bracket pushes you into the top 7-10% of earners in the country, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Hmm. I consider us fortunate that we didn't get the stimulus. Our income hasn't changed with the economic shut down and I'd rather the money go to those who actually need it. I wouldn't even consider hiding assets...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Hmm. I consider us fortunate that we didn't get the stimulus. Our income hasn't changed with the economic shut down and I'd rather the money go to those who actually need it. I wouldn't even consider hiding assets...

Thank you for this response.

I've been rather befuddled by people who are above the ninetieth income percentile and who have not lost their income in the current crisis feeling like life is treating them unfairly if they don't get a stimulus check. People in this bracket who complain about not having enough money have some rather skewed perceptions of what enough actually means.

There is a time when gratitude serves a person well.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Christina, I'm confused? Taxable vs. adjusted?  So you're saying you fall under the $150k/annually with no kids at home - therefore ineligible or ? 
That income bracket pushes you into the top 7-10% of earners in the country, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

If she isn't getting any stimulus at all and is married filing jointly her household AGI must be over the 200,000 limit (150,000 is the cut of for the full stimulus amount, the amount then decreases until you hit 200,000).

Definitely in the top 90th percentile of earners.