Menu

Shakespeare's Sonnets

Have any of you been enjoying Patrick Stewart's daily reading of Shakespeare's sonnets on FB? I have enjoyed listening to him read them so much! 

Here is what he said the first day he posted- "I was delighted by the response to yesterday's posting of Shakespeare's Sonnet 116, and it has led me to undertake what follows. When I was a child in the 1940s, my mother would cut up slices of fruit for me (there wasn't much) and as she put it in front of me she would say: "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." How about, “A sonnet a day keeps the doctor away”? So...here we go: Sonnet 1"

This has really been making me think. How wonderful that his mother gave him a gift of reading sonnets. It always seems like the really successful have mothers behind them right? He must have had so much time to practice words, and speaking well.

Anyways, has anyone done anything like this with their kids? Reading a poem each day or a sonnet? DS is 8, so still a little young to handle all of Skakespeare's sonnets. We have memorized a few of his shorter works. 

My dd was loving Patrick Stewart's readings while she was visiting me on the holidays. I'm not entirely sure why I taught her to like Shakespeare when I don't, but that's what's happened and she reminded me every day. 🙂

I used to read a poem to her each morning for quite a while. We started off with fun kiddie stuff and moved onto lengthier pieces as best as I could tolerate. She has a poetic streak I don't have and even enjoyed Wordsworth's flowery stuff. *groan*