Menu

I’m getting tested for antibodies tomorrow!

sassenach

Strange to say, but I really, really hope I’m positive! Results are in 10 minutes so I’ll know right away. 

Dd and I were very sick with many of the symptoms in February, before they were testing anyone who hadn’t traveled from China. I’m still thinking of it as a long shot but I’m so hopeful. 

• Like 32

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

CA. I’m paying for it at a lab. I have a fragile child AND I’m in nursing school, so the information heavily impacts my decision making process. 

I think it speaks to the craziness we are living in right now that I am super excited for you. 😂 

• Like 19

I wish I could do the same in Michigan.  I had a "weird" pneumonia on my x-ray in February and the symptoms all match.  Two other co-workers also had pneumonia.  If I knew that it was what my kids and I had already, it would greatly help me in my care giving roles.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Strange to say, but I really, really hope I’m positive! Results are in 10 minutes so I’ll know right away. 

Dd and I were very sick with many of the symptoms in February, before they were testing anyone who hadn’t traveled from China. I’m still thinking of it as a long shot but I’m so hopeful. 

Same here with covid like sickness in end of Jan/Feb: I remember that I recovered around President's day - so, it took me a few weeks to get over it and people I interacted with had it in a more severe form and got hospitalized. My son got it first, then everyone at home got it, my son bounced back in a week, but my DH had the worst symptoms and it took him almost a month to get over it.

I would like to know where this testing is available (please PM me if you don't want to post it). I am in the greater San jose area.

• Like 3

I'm curious about this, like probably everyone who had a respiratory bug in February, BUT also their website says:

"Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E."

I looked up some of those and they are common cold type viruses that a lot of people get in their lifetime. I'd be interested to know if or how they are differentiating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I'm curious about this, like probably everyone who had a respiratory bug in February, BUT also their website says:

"Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E."

I looked up some of those and they are common cold type viruses that a lot of people get in their lifetime. I'd be interested to know if or how they are differentiating.

That is a big problem getting the tests in Europe from what I understand.  The accuracy was very poor.  I’d be interested to see what changed that we are suddenly running them when we’ve been so behind the ball with testing. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Hmm, I didn’t notice that. If so, that’s a problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmseB said:

I was going to post this, too. Seems pointless.

4 hours ago, kand said:

Boy, this could be really problematic. I looked at their website (because I’d really like to know what I had in early March), and it looks like they’re really marketing particularly to employers that these tests could give employees the green light to get back to work.  But if there are a lot of false positives (or even a few), that’s going to be disastrous if people use the results to decide they are safe, and employers bring people back to work that actually aren’t immune at all. 

It would be particularly bad if an employer used a false positive test to pressure a high risk employee to work.

• Like 2

I didn’t think experts know yet whether testing positive equates with having any sort of immunity? And even if it does, how long or to what degree that immunity might provide? Can someone who tests positive still become an asymptomatic carrier? That seems disastrous. 

I don’t mean to dampen your enthusiasm, I just haven’t seen any evidence that the results will actually mean anything? And of course, it sounds like testing is so unreliable.

• Like 3

Yes, from what I've read, the testing is not considered definitive at this point. More R&D is needed.

I had a truly horrible virus in the fall. I was visiting a friend in ICU every few days, and probably got it there. I had a high fever for days, and then it went into my lungs. No pneumonia, but it took months for my breathing to return to normal. I have asthma, so I had my asthma doctor monitor it. I live in an area where international travel is not uncommon. 

It makes me wonder, but I wouldn't do a test unless it was more affordable for me. 

2 hours ago, G5052 said:

Yes, from what I've read, the testing is not considered definitive at this point. More R&D is needed.

I had a truly horrible virus in the fall. I was visiting a friend in ICU every few days, and probably got it there. I had a high fever for days, and then it went into my lungs. No pneumonia, but it took months for my breathing to return to normal. I have asthma, so I had my asthma doctor monitor it. I live in an area where international travel is not uncommon. 

It makes me wonder, but I wouldn't do a test unless it was more affordable for me. 

My son had something similar--went on for months.  He's still not completely better.  He traveled internationally to a conference where people from lots of different countries gathered at the beginning of November and came down with it right after that.  Once a test is available, I'd be very interested to see what the results are for him.

15 hours ago, EmseB said:

My disappointing update is that I canceled the test based on this info. Thank you for flagging this for me! I booked it through the direct website for my local lab which didn't mention any of these issues on the booking page. I'm super bummed. I think I put too much hope in this being the answer. 

I am hopeful that a more accurate antibody test is forthcoming and I look forward to taking that one. I just need to be more patient.

• Like 10
  • Sad 12

7 minutes ago, sassenach said:

My disappointing update is that I canceled the test based on this info. Thank you for flagging this for me! I booked it through the direct website for my local lab which didn't mention any of these issues on the booking page. I'm super bummed. I think I put too much hope in this being the answer. 

I am hopeful that a more accurate antibody test is forthcoming and I look forward to taking that one. I just need to be more patient.

Thank you for the update!

51 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Did you talk to a live person at all? Just curious what they were saying about it, if anything.

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

Did you talk to a live person at all? Just curious what they were saying about it, if anything.

I did. I didn’t get the impression that he understood why that was a big deal. Their official response is :

What does it mean that other versions of coronavirus can cause a positive result?

Coronavirus is a very old virus with lots of forms. In fact, one of the reasons we theorize that kids have better immunity to this disease than adults, is that they’ve probably had ‘regular colds’, of the coronavirus type, more recently, which have some cross-immunity potential. (Kids routinely build immunity to coronavirus strains through unhygienic behavior like sneezing/coughing on each other and spotty hand-washing.) If a person gets a positive result on this test, and it’s because of another strain of coronavirus, our current scientific theory is that their immunity will still be better than the average person because of cross-immunity.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, sassenach said:

https://www.arcpointlabs.com for anyone interested. I'm paying $125. @mathnerd

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/bay-area-labs-offer-covid-19-immunity-tests/2272239/

“Victoria and Gordon Gray drove from their San Francisco home to ARCpoint Labs in Richmond on Monday to undergo a rapid result immunity test. The Grays said they thought the test was worth it "for the peace of mind."

The Grays spent $125 each to see if they had antibodies that would make them immune COVID-19.

Lab workers are able to get results from a blood sample within 10 minutes.

The lab acknowledges the test is only 87% accurate and not yet approved by the FDA. ARCpoint said it provides valuable information for folks concerned they have previously had the virus or for those contemplating whether to go back to the office.

Meanwhile, microbiologist Jessica Malaty Rivera warns the data is just not there yet to rely on the results.

"The test suggests they do have antibodies and if they don't, they could put themselves at further risk," Rivera said.

The lab said of the 400 people it has tested, only four people have tested positive for antibodies. ARCpoint said the test indicates people in the Bay Area have been doing a good job of social distancing, but are still at-risk of getting COVID-19.”

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, MEmama said:

I didn’t think experts know yet whether testing positive equates with having any sort of immunity? And even if it does, how long or to what degree that immunity might provide? Can someone who tests positive still become an asymptomatic carrier? That seems disastrous. 

I don’t mean to dampen your enthusiasm, I just haven’t seen any evidence that the results will actually mean anything? And of course, it sounds like testing is so unreliable.

I think if you had a high level of antibodies you probably have some immunity.  But some people are showing quite low levels.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

So there only one antibody test?  I keep hearing and reading that this is part of the plan of getting things back open is testing people for antibodies.  I hadn't heard that it really isn't reliable.   Is there another test that is better?   

No there are multiple. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

So there only one antibody test?  I keep hearing and reading that this is part of the plan of getting things back open is testing people for antibodies.  I hadn't heard that it really isn't reliable.   Is there another test that is better?   

There are quite a few antibody tests being made, just like there are quite a few vaccines being tested. 

This news link describes an ongoing antibody test  https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/los-angeles-county-launches-large-scale-covid-19-antibody-study-n1182031

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Mayo Clinic says the test they are using is 97% accurate. They are only testing healthcare workers for now, but they should be able to offer it to more people soon. I'm not sure if their test is FDA approved.

• Like 3

@mommyoffive

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/emergency-situations-medical-devices/faqs-diagnostic-testing-sars-cov-2#labs-ivd

“The commercial manufacturers and laboratories listed below have notified FDA that they have validated and are offering serology tests as set forth in Section IV.D of the FDA's Policy for Diagnostic Tests for Coronavirus Disease-2019. The FDA has not reviewed the validation of tests offered by these developers, who may not be pursuing EUAs, and is including this list here to provide transparency regarding the notifications submitted to FDA.

Laboratory Notifications:

• Boston Heart Diagnostics
  • DLS Research & Ventures
  • EDP Biotech Corporation
  • IMMYLabs
  • Michigan Health Clinics
  • Otogenetics
  • Roseland Community Hospital/American Medical Lab
  • Vibrant America Clinical Labs

Manufacturer Notifications:

• Alfa Scientific Designs, Inc. Instant-view plus COVID-19 IgG/IgM Antibody Test
  • Alfa Scientific Designs, Inc. Clarity COVID-19 IgG/IgM Antibody Test
  • Assure Tech (Hangzhou) Co., Ltd.'s COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Device
  • Atlas Link (Beijing)Technology Co., Ltd NovaTest: One Step COVID-19 IgG/IgM rapid test
  • Autobio Diagnostics' Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Rapid Test
  • Beijing Beier Bioengineering Co., Ltd 2019-New Coronavirus IgG/IgM Rapid Test Cassette (WB/S/P)
  • Beijing Decombio Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Novel Coronavirus IgM/IgG Combo Rapid Test-Cassette (Serum/Plasma/Whole blood)
  • Beijing Diagreat Biotechnologies Co., Ltd. 2019-nCoV IgG Antibody Determination Kit
  • Beijing Diagreat Biotechnologies Co., Ltd. 2019-nCoV IgM Antibody Determination Kit
  • Beijing Diagreat Biotechnologies Co., Ltd. 2019-nCoV IgG/IgM Antibody Rapid Test Kit
  • Beijing Kewei Clinical Diagnostic Reagent Inc. Genonto RapidTest10 COVID-19 IgG/IgM Antibody Rapid Test Kit
  • Beijing O&D BIOTECH Co., LTD. Coronavirus disease(COVID-19) Total Antibody Rapid Test (Colloidal Gold)
  • Beijing Wantai Biological Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. TOTAL ANTIBODY WANTAI SARS- COV-2 Ab Rapid Test Kit
  • Beroni Group SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM Antibody Detection Kit
  • Biohit Healthcare (Hefei) Co., Ltd. SARS-CoV-2 IgM/IgG antibody test kit (Colloidal Gold Method)
  • Biolidics Limited 2019-nCoV IgG/IgM Detection Kit (Colloidal Gold)
  • BioMedomics, Inc. COVID-19 IgM-IgG Rapid Test
  • BioSys Laboratories, Inc. BioSys Plus COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test
  • BTNX, Inc. Rapid Response™ COVID-19 IgG/IgM Test Cassette
  • Chembio Diagnostic Systems, Inc. DPP COVID-19 IgM/IgG System
  • Core Technology Co., Ltd. CoreTest COVID-19 IgM/IgG Ab Test
  • Core Technology Co., Ltd. RapidTest COVID-19 IgM/IgG Ab Test
  • Coronacide™ COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test
  • CTK Biotech, Inc. OnSite® COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test
  • DIALAB(ZJG) Biotech Co., Ltd.  Device Name: SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM Antibody Test (Fluorescence Immunoassay)
  • Diazyme Laboratories, Inc. Diazyme DZ-LITE SARS-CoV-2 IgG CLIA Kit
  • Diazyme Laboratories, Inc. Diazyme DZ-Lite SARS-Cov-2 IgM CLIA Kit
  • Diazyme Laboratories, Inc. Diazyme SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Rapid Test
  • Eachy Biopharmaceuticals Co., Ltd. AccuRapid™ SARS-CoV-2 IgM/IgG Test Kit (Lateral Flow Immunoassay)
  • Eachy Biopharmaceuticals Co., Ltd. SmartScreen COVID-19 IgM/IgG Test Kit
  • EpiGentek SeroFlash SARS-CoV-2 IgM/IgG Antibody Detection Kit
  • Epitope Diagnostics, Inc. KT-1032 EDI™ Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 IgG ELISA Kit
  • Epitope Diagnostics, Inc. KT-1033 EDI™ Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 IgM ELISA Kit
  • ET Healthcare Inc. Pylon COVID-19 IgM/IgG Assay
  • EUROIMMUN AG Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgA)
  • EUROIMMUN AG Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgG)
  • GenBody Inc. GenBody COVID-19 IgM/IgG
  • Genrui Biotech Inc. Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) IgG/IgM Test Kit (Colloidal Gold)
  • Getein Biotech Inc. One Step Test for Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) IgM/IgG antibody (Colloidal Gold)
  • Goldsite Diagnostics Inc SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM ki
  • Guangzhou Fenghua Bioengineering Co., Ltd. SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM Rapid Testt
  • Guangzhou Wondfo Biotech Co., Ltd. SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Test
  • Hangzhou AllTest Biotech Co., Ltd. AllTest 2019-nCoV IgG/IgM Rapid Test Cassette
  • Hangzhou AllTest Biotech Co., Ltd. AllTest COVID IgG/IgM Rapid Test Dipstick
  • Hangzhou Clongene Biotech Co., Ltd. Clungene COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test Cassette
  • Hangzhou Clongene Biotech Co., Ltd. COMBRA COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test Cassette
  • Hangzhou Biotest Biotech's COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Cassette
  • Hangzhou Realy Tech Co Ltd. 2019-nCOV IgG/IgM Rapid Test
  • Hangzhou Testsealabs Biotecnology Co., Ltd One Step SARS-CoV2 (COVID-19) IgG/IgM Test
  • Healgen Scientific, LLC. COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Cassette(Whole Blood/Serum/Plasma)
  • INNOVITA (Tangshan) Biological Technology Co., Ltd. 2019-nCoV Ab Test (Colloidal Gold)
  • Jiangsu Dablood Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd. AssuranceAB™ COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Antibody Test
  • Jiangsu Dablood Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test
  • Jiangsu Macro & Micro-Test Med-Tech Co., Ltd. SARS-CoV-2 IgM/IgG Rapid Assay Kit (Colloidal Gold)
  • Lifeassay Diagnostics (Pty) Ltd Test-it COVID-19 IgM/IgG Lateral Flow Assay
  • Liming BioProducts Co. Ltd. SARS-CoV-2 lgM/lgG Antibody Rapid Test
  • Maccura Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) IgM/IgG Antibody Assay Kit by Colloidal Gold Method
  • Medical Systems Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Coronavirus Disease 2019 Antibody (IgM/IgG) Combined Test Kit
  • Mokobio Biotechnology R&D Center SARS-CoV-2 IgM & IgG Quantum Dot Immunoassay
  • Nanjing Liming Bio-products Co.,Ltd SARS-CoV-2 IgM/IgG Antibody Rapid Test Kit
  • NanoResearch, Inc. NanoMedicina™ SARS-COV-2 IgM/IgG Antibody Rapid Test
  • Nantong Diagnos Biotechnology Co., Ltd. (2019-nCoV) New coronavirus Antibody Test (Colloidal Gold)
  • Nirmidas Biotech, Inc. COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) IgM/IgG Antibody Detection Kit
  • PCL Inc. COVID19 IgG/IgM Rapid Gold
  • Phamatech Inc. COVID19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test
  • RayBiotech, Inc. Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) IgG Antibody Detection Kit (Colloidal Gold Method)
  • RayBiotech, Inc. Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) IgM Antibody Detection Kit (Colloidal Gold Method)
  • Safecare Biotech (Hangzhou) Co., Ltd SAFECARE COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Device
  • SD Biosensor STANDARD Q COVID-19 IgM/IgG Duo
  • Shanghai Eugene Biotech Co., Ltd. SARS-CoV2 (COVID-19) IgG/IgM Rapid Test
  • Shenzhen Landwind Medical Co., Ltd COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Device
  • Shenzhen Watmind Medical Co. SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM Ab Diagnostic Test Kit
  • Sugentech, Inc. SGTi-flex COVID-19 IgM/IgG
  • Sure Bio-tech API Covid-Rapid IgM/IgG Antibody Test Kit
  • Suzhou Kangheshun Medical Technology Co., Ltd SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Cassette
  • Telepoint Medical Services SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM Rapid Qualitative Test
  • Tianjin Beroni Biotechnology Co. Ltd SARS-CoV-2 IgG/IgM Antibody Detection Kit
  • United Biomedical, Inc. UBI® SARS-CoV-2 ELISA
  • VivaChek Biotech (Hangzhou) Co., Ltd. VivaDiag COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test
  • W.H.P.M. Inc., COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test
  • W.H.P.M. Inc., COVISURE™ COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test
  • Wuhu 3H Biotechnology Co. Ltd. COVID-19 IgG/IgM Test Kit (Colloidal Gold Method)
  • Xiamen AmonMed Biotechnology Co. Ltd Helix-19 COVID-19 IgM/IgG Test Kit (Colloidal Gold)
  • Zhejiang GENE SCIENCE Co., Ltd Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) IgM/IgG Antibodies Detection Kit (Latex Chromatography)
  • Zhejiang Orient Gene Biotech, Co., Ltd. COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Cassette
  • Zhengzhou Fortune Bioscience Co., Ltd. COVID-19 IgG Antibody Rapid Test Kit (Colloidal Gold Immunochromatography method)
  • Zhengzhou Fortune Bioscience Co., Ltd. COVID-19 IgM Antibody Rapid Test Kit (Colloidal Gold Immunochromatography method)
  • Zhengzhou Fortune Bioscience Co., Ltd. COVID-19 Antibody Rapid Test Kit (Colloidal Gold Immunochromatography method)
  • Zhongshan Bio-Tech Co. Ltd SARS-CoV-2 IgM/IgG (GICA)
  • Zhuhai Encode Medical Engineering Co., Ltd Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) IgG/IgM Rapid Test Device
  • Zhuhai Livzon Diagnostics, Inc. Diagnostic Kit for IgM/IgG Antibody to Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) (Colloidal Gold)”
  • Like 2

My friend was tested yesterday. She was negative even though she was really sick for three weeks and had all of the symptoms. The lab tech said she had had a lot of negative test results from the labs she had been doing—lots of surprised people.

I think none of us are really safe to assume that we have had it without a positive antibodies test. 

• Like 1