Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW15: 52 Books Bingo - Transformative and Mysterious

Robin M

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Lo termine!  I finished it!

I finally (after 3 months) got to the end of El Hobbit.

I realized several chapters in that I was in over my head on this one, but I persevered and made it to the end.  Bilbo would be proud. 🙂

I would say that I am at an intermediate Spanish level, but this book was a bit too advanced for me.  Not so much too hard that I couldn't understand any of it, but I was struggling to understand details.  It would have helped to have read The Hobbit in English sometime in the last 5 years or so.  I remembered some of it, which really, really helped, but not enough to get details and nuances.

My goal this year was to read 6 books plus the New Testament in Spanish.  This was my second book (La Telarana de Carlota/Charlotte's Web was the first), and I am making good progress through the New Testament.

I haven't decided yet what my next book in Spanish will be.

image.jpeg.ea4355b33c6ba6b0b3e50da2e055ca4b.jpeg

👏👏👏 Great job!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello all! I've had a heckuva time signing on to WTM this week. Has anyone else had a problem?

@Kareni - Glad to hear a good update about your DH. Hope he continues to heal quickly.

@Robin M - You come up with the cutest avatars. I love it! It's so you.

@Negin - I've always wanted to be the type of woman that does a complicated Korean skin care routine but I always end up coming back to the same Oil of Olay I've used since I was 12. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's just too much.

I finished a book. Still struggling to read text but I'm doing okay with audiobooks.

The Alington Inheritance by Patrica Wentworth - I love my Miss Silver books the way I love Starburst jelly beans and staying up too late. I know I shouldn't over do but sometimes I can't help myself. Maybe I've read too many in a row or maybe this quarantine thing is making me cranky but I didn't love this book. Everyone in this book was stupid. Particularly the antagonist. I'll put a spoiler in white >> The entire plot hinged on if the young heroine's parents were married. The antagonist killed a woman to cover the fact up. But the proof was still in the records at Somerset House and all they had to do (which they did in the end) was to go and see if there was a marriage certificate. It took them 18 years to do that.  

Daily Rituals: How Artists Work by Mason Currey - This is short snippets on all sorts of artists and their schedules/lives. It was interesting. I started it in January and was startled at how many famous authors ended up being alcoholics and hermits later in life. Looks like I'm halfway there since I haven't left the house in five weeks!  @Robin M Did you recommend this? If you didn't then I recommend it to you.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, mumto2 said:

Do your library books just keep having their due dates extended.......mine are now 5/15.

Our library is closed and won't even allow us to turn books back in. All their return boxes are taped over. They said they'll figure out due dates when they reopen. It's bizarre.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

aggieamy when are we gonna be able to get our hands on your book? 

How kind of you to ask! I'm querying agents right now so best case scenario it'll be three years until it's published. (If it ever gets published!) But if anyone wants to do a beta read for then I'm be happy to share it. Just send me a PM.

• Like 4

On 4/16/2020 at 11:42 PM, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~

10 MUST-READ CRIME-FIGHTING DUOS

https://crimereads.com/10-must-read-crime-fighting-duos/

THOSE CLASSIC DETECTIVE SERIES YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN MEANING TO READ, ANYWAY

https://crimereads.com/classic-famous-mystery-series-with-very-many-installments-that-youve-always-been-meaning-to-read/

From reddit: 101 (Yes, really) Urban Fantasy Suggestions from the Citizens of the Metropolis of /r/Fantasy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ibJDzK1s2Xm_TCy7NGYaBzUnpV9-Y9S7MJHs-qcxxLY/htmlview

6 Technothrillers Featuring Digital Surveillance and Voyeurism

https://www.tor.com/2020/04/10/6-technothrillers-featuring-digital-surveillance-and-voyeurism/

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for sharing !

• Like 3

I finished the Artemis Fowl series.  Overall I enjoyed the books, although they did get a bit monotonous after awhile.  Of course, I'm not in the target demographic for these books.  My older three girls always seem ready for me to hand over the next one.  I got through the last couple of books pretty quickly because I read them while I was proctoring some of our standardized testing.  We have another week of testing next week, so I'll have to find some other light reading.  It's not like I don't have anything else on the TBR stack... 😉

The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Junie said:

Lo termine!  I finished it!

I finally (after 3 months) got to the end of El Hobbit.

image.jpeg.ea4355b33c6ba6b0b3e50da2e055ca4b.jpeg

Woot Woot!  Congratations! 

On 4/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, Kareni said:

Amazon is celebrating World Book Day with seven free Kindle books. (The Audible versions appear to be $1.99 each for those who like to listen.)
The offer expires in seven days. Here is the link ~

https://www.amazon.com/article/read-the-world-2020

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you, I downloaded two! 

9 hours ago, Kareni said:

Thanks a million! Added to my virtual tbr! 

5 hours ago, aggieamy said:

Daily Rituals: How Artists Work by Mason Currey - This is short snippets on all sorts of artists and their schedules/lives. It was interesting. I started it in January and was startled at how many famous authors ended up being alcoholics and hermits later in life. Looks like I'm halfway there since I haven't left the house in five weeks!  @Robin M Did you recommend this? If you didn't then I recommend it to you. 

Not me. It looks good, added to my wishlist! 

• Like 2