Menu

What's on the Quarantine Menu this week :)

Soror

I'm running low on fresh produce, other than more hardy veggies but stretching it out until next week.

Menu this week:

Mon: Beef Stirfry w/ Broccoli, Carrots, Spinach, and Onions

Tues: Gyros w/ homemade Naan and a cucumber free yogurt sauce as I had ran out + the last of the tomatoes

Wed: Stew- rest of roast I chopped Monday and a great way to use up those root veggies- celery, potato, carrot, onion, frozen corn and green beans, canned tomato

Thurs: Tacos w/ refried beans- last of lettuce, spinach and salsa

Fri: Blackened tilipia, wild rice, baked sweet potatoes, steamed brussel sprouts (none of us like but dh bought accidentally- we like fresh months ago so we're eating) gf mac and cheese 

Sat: hamburgers w/purple cabbage slaw and roasted potatoes

Sun: Easter Dinner- making compromises based on what we have on hand-

Peach Glazed Ham, Baked Beans, Braised Cabbage and Carrots, Green Beans, Yeast Rolls (reg. and GF), Peach Cobbler (canned peaches and pantry supplies), Rice Krispy Treats (I found marshmallows for cheap and stocked before lock down)

Monday: Homemade Pizza

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

We are eating much better with regard to our Lunches. God knows what this has done to our budget for food, but eating some really good food. Two days ago, my wife cooked a Tongue, which we very rarely eat and it was delicious.  We always eat a big Breakfast and then later a big Lunch. Not much after that.

• Like 6

Eggs!

I went shopping yesterday and excepting the baking and bread aisles, the store was almost completely stocked.  (I didn't need toilet paper but went down that aisle just to look at it.) There are still limits on some items but I was able to get 18 eggs.  

Today - Sausage/vegetarian sausage, mashed potatoes, hot lettuce dressing, corn, boiled eggs

Easter - beef brisket (dh), cheese grits casserole, broccoli, soda bread, deviled eggs, angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream

Monday - Breakfast for dinner

Tuesday - Chili

Wednesday - Penne, salad, garlic bread

Thursday - Asian-inspired 

Friday - pizza 

• Like 1

Yesterday - lunch - cheese tortellini, rolls - supper homemade pizza (except I forgot to include any basil on the back porch - argh!)

Today - lunch - baked potatoes, supper - breakfast for dinner - eggs, bacon, biscuits, smoothie

Sunday - lunch - drive thru, supper - fend for self

Monday - lunch - pasta, salad, bread, dinner - youngest's pick and prepare

Tuesday - lunch - birthday - so drive-thru, supper- chicken tacos, beans, rice

Wednesday - lunch - tomato soup + grilled cheese, dinner- ? surprise

Thursday - lunch Souvlaki chicken, sweet potatoes, green veggie, dinner - leftover chicken on salad

Friday - lunch - sandwiches, dinner -homemade pizza (recurring!)

• Like 1

I inadvertantly stored some broccoli with a bag of apples and the broccoli has to be eaten now! I don't have much extra cheese, but I found a block of cream cheese and some bread crumbs, so I'll coat it with white sauce and bake it with breadcrumbs.

I have a plan for the rest of this week, but  I don't remember anything as exciting as this blond-broccoli casserole. Next week Wednesday I'll have to venture out again.

• Like 1

Tonight - Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables, Seasoned Rice
Sunday - (Brunch) Pancakes, Bacon, Eggs, Breakfast Potatoes - (Dinner) Ham and Bean Soup, Homemade GF Soft Pretzels, Salad
Monday - Brisket, Potatoes, Veggies (maybe some homemade GF thin mints for dessert)
Tuesday - Taco Tuesday
Wednesday - Apple Harvest Chicken Salad, Cornbread (or biscuits?  will there be pretzels left?)

That's as far out as I've planned.  I'm trying to plan meals as we go based on produce freshness, milk availability (trying to go two weeks between grocery trips), stuff that needs to be used up from the freezer/pantry (like the ham for the soup), and my appetite levels (very, very low right now).

• Like 1

We’ll have the usual stuff from our stockpile. Chili, spaghetti, tacos, I’ll make pizza, we’ll have a veggie night, and one night we’ll have salmon (So glad I stocked up!). Tonight I’ll grill burgers and chicken. 

HOWEVER...during out stock up phase dh wanted spam so I bought the tiniest tin of it and thought he’d forgotten about it. and he had, until son in law sent him a pic last night of the spam and pineapple pizza he’d made. Gross. So anyway, dh wants me to work spam in soon. He hasn’t had it in many years...I think (hope) he’ll be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Tonight we are having little hamburger sliders with all the toppings and roasted potatoes.

For tomorrow we are planning to have venison steak with twice baked potatoes, green beans wrapped with bacon, and rolls shaped kind of like bunnies.  Strawberry pie for dessert.

Monday dh will make some sourdough and I will do a tomato bisque or another soup to go with it. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Annie G said:

We’ll have the usual stuff from our stockpile. Chili, spaghetti, tacos, I’ll make pizza, we’ll have a veggie night, and one night we’ll have salmon (So glad I stocked up!). Tonight I’ll grill burgers and chicken. 

HOWEVER...during out stock up phase dh wanted spam so I bought the tiniest tin of it and thought he’d forgotten about it. and he had, until son in law sent him a pic last night of the spam and pineapple pizza he’d made. Gross. So anyway, dh wants me to work spam in soon. He hasn’t had it in many years...I think (hope) he’ll be disappointed. 

Good luck with that.  Dh loves the stuff.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, soror said:

Easter Dinner- making compromises based on what we have on hand-

Peach Glazed Ham, Baked Beans, Braised Cabbage and Carrots, Green Beans, Yeast Rolls (reg. and GF), Peach Cobbler (canned peaches and pantry supplies), Rice Krispy Treats (I found marshmallows for cheap and stocked before lock down)

Ooo, I needed a menu for easter! I snagged a  ham, and I've never tried a peach glazed ham. Is it easy? Recipe? :smile:

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

dh wants me to work spam in soon. He hasn’t had it in many years...I think (hope) he’ll be disappointed. 

Didn't Disney serve spam in Epcot for a food fest? 

https://www.disboards.com/threads/2017-hawaii-f-wf-teriyaki-glazed-spam.3684004/

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

How do you cook this? I have some backstrap in the freezer that I need to use up. Dh usually just gets everything ground, and last time he had some left as whole pieces...

Venison is best if it marinates for a few days, or even a week+.  That helps to make it tender and lose the gamy flavor - we use a basic marinade of olive oil, soy sauce and spices - i never measure, I just pour some into a ziplock bag...   

I heat up my cast iron pan to med-high, melt some butter, and put the steak on.  I cook it about 3 minutes a side for about an 3/4- 1 inch thick steak.  I might add a little butter when I flip it over.  That's it.  I just takes a few minutes.  Don't leave it on too long as they can get dry quick.  It is also good on the grill, I just don't currently have an outdoor grill - 3-4 minutes a side depending on how thick your steak is, is all you need.

The backstrap is the best cut!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight: Black Beans in Chipotle-Garlic Tomato Sauce over herbed polenta and plantains fried in coconut oil

Dinners this week: Vegetable Massaman Curry with tofu over rice, Oven-roasted vegetables over greens with walnuts (salad with every sort of veggie in the house), Oven-roasted vegetables with marinated tempeh and home-made tahini-lemon dressing, vegan sausage and gravy over vegan biscuits, vegan quiche, vegan grilled cheese with onions in balsamic vinegar and pesto on sourdough bread with homemade tomato soup

Breakfasts: Avocado toast on home-made nuts & seed bread with Yuzu sauce, pumpkin seeds, micro-greens or rocket (whichever is ready in the garden), vegan banana bread, chickpea omelets, or chickpea flour pancakes with baked bananas and nut butter

Also, I have been working on a sourdough starter this past week and we are going to begin baking with it tomorrow. 

• Like 3

@JanewayI cooked a fresh turkey breast last night because my fridge temperature was acting up and I was afraid to leave it in there last night. I don't remember seeing so much turkey out around Easter before. It's probably been there but not on my radar.

I decided to shake up the Easter menu since it's just us. I made brisket in the instapot today. It was a good first attempt but I'll probably look for a new recipe next time. 

I'm thinking to add sweet potato casserole since everyone but me loves it. Also planning cheddar biscuits, baked beans and spinach salad. Maybe Mexican sweet corn. 

For dessert, homemade chocolate cake and we picked up ice cream from a local shop. 

• Like 1

we have recently had

Broccoli beef and rice

Steak, baked potatoes, corn

Spaghetti and garlic bread

Chicken noodle soup

Potato soup and corn bread

pepper steak

shredded chicken tacos

steak fajitas tacos

Mexican casserole

Tuna casserole

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Annie G said:

My son wanted to make spam musubi like he had at a party one time. I bought him the spam and ingredients. The can was in the pantry for a while before he made it. Every single person who saw it in my pantry, was shocked to to see it there. LOL It was really quite funny to see the reactions. 

Ds made it, said once was enough and he never asked for it again. 🙂 

• Like 2

We'll have leftover ham from Easter, so probably soup with ham will be on our menu.   (Will definitely use some of our dried legumes for that -- maybe the navy beans.)

Last week I made fried rice using some leftover meat and veggies, and it turned out pretty well!  We haven't had pasta for awhile and I have a couple bags of pasta on hand.  I love to load up veggies in marinara sauce over pasta, sprinkled with grated cheese.  So simple but it always tastes good to me. 

I'll probably also make a chunky chicken veggie soup.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo, I needed a menu for easter! I snagged a  ham, and I've never tried a peach glazed ham. Is it easy? Recipe? :smile:

Well, I don't have a recipe. I never make ham because it is not dh's favorite but I happened to have one in the freezer(given to to dh from work for the holidays) so I'm doing a variation of the ham my Mom makes for the holidays. She uses apple jelly but I don't have any of that, what I do have is a jar of peach jelly that was gifted to us but no one here cared for, I'm still working out the details. Mom uses apple jelly, chili sauce, brown sugar, honey, and some cloves. I think brown sugar plus honey when added to the jelly is a bit much, I'll add some spicy mustard to mine, maybe some garlic (dh loves garlic), and maybe some lemon juice- a variation on this recipe-https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/peach-glazed-ham-recipe-1945540

I'm planning a pick up order on Monday and am working on my list, hoping to get more fresh veggies so I have plenty to last for a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

Easter: My dh is grilling hot dogs and brats.  I made macaroni salad.  We're also having baked beans and chips.  Maybe corn on the cob.  Dinner will be tacos, rice, and refried beans.

Dinners this week:  Burgers and fries, Biscuits and gravy, Van de Kamps fish fillets, Spaghetti and turkey italian sausage and french bread, ... that's all I got for now.

2 hours ago, soror said:

Well, I don't have a recipe. I never make ham because it is not dh's favorite but I happened to have one in the freezer(given to to dh from work for the holidays) so I'm doing a variation of the ham my Mom makes for the holidays. She uses apple jelly but I don't have any of that, what I do have is a jar of peach jelly that was gifted to us but no one here cared for, I'm still working out the details. Mom uses apple jelly, chili sauce, brown sugar, honey, and some cloves. I think brown sugar plus honey when added to the jelly is a bit much, I'll add some spicy mustard to mine, maybe some garlic (dh loves garlic), and maybe some lemon juice- a variation on this recipe-https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/peach-glazed-ham-recipe-1945540

I'm planning a pick up order on Monday and am working on my list, hoping to get more fresh veggies so I have plenty to last for a couple of weeks.

Ooo, sounds good! I was looking at that Neely recipe and ended up deciding to go with this simpler jam + pumpkin pie spice approach. https://www.norinesnest.com/slow-cooker-peach-glazed-ham/  Maybe it will be bland or maybe it will be great, dunno, lol. 

• Like 1

New Menu for 2 weeks: We've been working on eating smaller servings of meat and are *trying* to eat more veg meals.

Sunday: Leftover EAster lunch

Monday: Spicy pan sauteed chicken w/ salad (tomatoes, onion, peppers, cucumbers) (dd1)

Tuesday: Tex Mex Rice salad w/ homemade guac (Monkey and Me- veg)

Wednesday: Oven "fried" chicken w/ green beans & Mac n cheese (dd2)

Thursday: Baked Eggplant w/ Pasta ds - veg

Friday: Ribs, Cheese Sticks & Salad (dd1's bday dinner)

Saturday:Minestrone Soup (veg)

Sunday: Beef Bourguignon; Mashed Pot, and Roast Asparagus

Monday: Peach Glaszed Ham (liked it so much wanted to make it again), boiled green beans, baked beans -dd1

Tuesday: Green Chile Chikcen Enchiladas- w/ Chipolte Black Beans

Wed: Buttered Herb Pasta/Zuc Noodles w/ Roasted Broccoli- dds- veg

Thurs: Moroccan Chicken w/ roasted cauliflower and sweet potato

Fri: Grilled Cheese(baked pot. for me) and Tomato Soup (ds)- veg

Sat: Chicken Chile

Edited by soror

I used to rock meal planning. I use Plantoeat.com and love it. But now, I never know what the grocery store will have in stock when I go. So ..... it's been interesting.

This week:

Pesto Chicken

Pizza from the freezer

Red Beans and Rice

Chicken Enchiladas

Those will use up a lot of the food we have, so next week could be even more interesting, planning-wise.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 8:20 AM, Carrie12345 said:

Meat!!!

I don’t have a set meal plan yet, but my grocery store was almost completely stocked up on meats, so I finally got to buy some chicken for the first time in over a month. We did have a decent supply in the freezer, but I’ve been working on making it stretch.

Yes! I had a small freezer stash a few weeks ago, but stores didn't have any meat, so my stash was almost gone. Last week, I found meat!!!!!!!! Now, I have a "tower of meat" in the freezer!

• Like 1

We finally got meat at the grocery store.  Last week we only had pre-packaged deli meats or canned. 

BLTs

Chicken Souvlaki Salad with Tzatziki

Philly Cheesesteak Casserole

Chili Tacos (I forgot we had more fresh tomatoes than we need for BLTs, so we’ll use those up on tacos and have chili next week.)

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Homemade Pizza

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Edited by *Jessica*
  • Like 1

Not sure yet. Depends on what I find at the store to some degree.

Always: stir fry (chx this week), Mexican (pot roast made into fajita meat) 

Grilling out burgers and sausages one night, weather permitting. With spinach salad. 

Fish one night. Baked with mayo, lemon, breadcrumbs topping. Prob with broccoli or green beans, and rice.

Leftovers, soup, pasta (for kids and dh, not me) the rest of the time. 

• Like 1

Fish tacos last night,  

Mon —Meatball stroganoff, Rice and fresh Brussels sprouts roasted

Tuesday chicken breasts and frozen broccoli....and potatoes maybe

Wednesday-Beans, cornbread and fried potatoes 

Thursday lasagna and frozen green beans.  

• Like 1

For Easter we had ham, fruit salad, baked potatoes, and carrot cake for dessert.

Tonight: roasted chicken, risotto, and leftover fruit salad

Tuesday: tacos, tater tots, and crockpot refried beans

Wednesday: Roast, carrots, and triple chocolate muffins (youngest's turn to menu plan and cook)

Thursday: corned beef, soda bread, and veggie (middle's night to cook)

Friday: kids are having frozen pizza and DH and I will get takeout for our "date night"

Saturday: ham and bean soup, cornbread (if I can get cornmeal by then)

Sunday: mac & cheese with sausage and olives, asparagus

Monday: chicken cordon bleu casserole, rice or potatoes, roasted brussles sprouts

• Like 1

We had super traditional breakfast burritos for Easter dinner.  🤣

Tonight was pizza- homemade crust, jarred sauce, cheese from freezer, and toppings from various nooks and crannies of the fridge that needed using up.  

Beef stew with egg noodles

Citrus black beans over rice with various toppings

Noodles with Thai peanut sauce and whatever veggies stif fry

Burgers from freezer with sweet potato fries from freezer

• Like 1

Yesterday we had ham, pesto noodles and green beans for lunch. 

Frozen pizzas for supper (we haven't had any since lockdown started so this was actually a special treat). Tonight I'm making Greek Lamb Meatballs.  Only DH myself and one child like this but it's my birthday so I said I get to make what I want so everyone else gets to eat leftovers.

Tuesday: Bacon and Kale Skillet

Wednesday: Tacos

Thursday: Either chicken enchilada bake or Baked Teriyaki Chicken over rice

Friday: Gyros

Saturday: jambalaya

Lunches are always leftovers and the kids fend for themselves for breakfast since I don't eat breakfast.

• Like 1

I've just been buying staples and cobbling together meals from what I find. Some recent/upcoming meals:

My kids call it "pink stuff" (chicken, black beans, corn, salsa and cream cheese in the crock pot -- served with egg noodles)

burger & fries, fresh fruit

tonight: hibachi chicken and veg, fried rice (cooked on DH's flat top)

tomorrow: taco soup and cornbread

pork loin, buttered potatoes, yeast rolls, cranberry sauce

Roast chicken thighs, roasted broccoli, couscous 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

All those exciting sounding meals!

we are having Lots of beans and rice; quesadillas. 

Eggs— maybe with vegetables scrambled—Maybe some dandelion greens and the last of our broccoli.

2 parsnips. The last of our fresh apples.

Maybe a “stone soup” with bits of this and that. 

Pretty Plain and simple!