Menu

Changing bed sheets

Changing bed sheets  

43 members have voted

1. 1. When (what time of day) do you change your sheets?

• Morning
    • Afternoon
    • Evening
    • Bedtime

We always change our sheets at bedtime, right before we're going to bed.  Every couple of weeks-ish.  I was wondering if I should tell my dd that we are odd that way, that most people change their sheets during the day.  We strip our beds and pile the sheets in the hallway corner, and my dh (because I am allergic to dustmites) launders them for the next few days as he has time.  I'm guessing our entire sheet system is odd.  Anyone?  What do you do?

Sheets day is every Tuesday.  I pull them off after we get up and wash them immediately.  Those of us with no sheet preference get spare sets put on while the laundry’s going.  Those of us that are “allergic to anything without Minecraft plastered all over them” have to wait for theirs.

Pillowcases are washed with everyone’s clothes 2x a week (allergies, so we do these more often).  Blankets are washed every Thursday, but I alternate weeks between bed blankets and throw blankets.

I have chronic nausea issues that flare up most evenings.  Bedding has to be back to normal by 4:00pm at the latest.  There’s no way I could stand on my head and change sheets right before bedtime, because I’d have my stomach contents coming out of my nose.

I answered morning, but sometimes I don't get it done. I despise folding sheets, so I prefer to take them off the bed, wash and put the same ones back on. I usually put them on to wash as soon as DH gets up. Usually I get the bed re-made before lunch, but if I get busy or lazy sometimes it's afternoon before it gets done. Our sheet day is Monday, and Thursday is DS21's.

• Like 1

It is usually in the morning or afternoon for us. Only ever at night if someone has just thrown up on them. My bedsheet gets washed and the same.one put back on once done. The kids usually just take theirs off and put a different on right away so they don't have another chore later in the day.

• Like 1

You need an other. Couldn't answer because it isn't consistent.

Whenever I think about it. LOL  I only wash the younger kid sheets, once they are early teens, they wash their own when it is convenient for them.  I wash each bed separately because I wash the mattress pad every other time too, due to dust mite allergies. Periodically pillows and blankets take a trip through the wash too. The only time I make sure to wash early in the day, is if I am doing a full wash of everything on the same day. If it is a day when i am washing everything, I often vacuum the bed too and then let it air out till night time before I put the bed back together.

Otherwise it doesn't take long for a single set of sheets and pillow cases to be washed and dried so whether it is 7am or 7pm, it doesn't matter.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

We strip our beds and pile the sheets in the hallway corner,

That sounds SO gross honestly. I take them off the bed and put them right in the washer. 

I'm forced to wash sheets in the morning because usually washing means ds' sheets were wet, sigh. But even so, always in the morning. Straight into the washer. 

3 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I really dislike folding sheets.

Ok, so I have no issue folding sheets. I find the repetition methodical and calming, and I like the warmth of sheets out of the dryer. But like the others, I usually go into the washer and straight back onto the bed unless changing the season of sheets (cotton to fleece/flannel). So I keep the other season of sheets in a basket in the closet of the room. I used to buy more sets of sheets, and it's really unnecessary and excessive, just clutter to store.

I have three sets of IKEA sheets for our bed that I rotate through. The European washer and dryer we have is pretty slow so I wouldn't want to count on getting the same set back on during the same day. Plus after drying there seems to be damp areas so I will hang them up overnight to be sure they are really dry. We used to have only two sets, but then I would stress about what to do when we had a house sitter. Now I know there will always be a clean set available when we get home from a trip to put on the bed. They don't take that much room in the linen closet and they all go together (grey or white).

I'm with Tap; you need an "other."

We have no particular system for changing sheets. Typically it would be done in the morning, probably once per week or so.  It might be in the evening if in the morning, I had the thought that it was time to change the sheets, but didn't get around to it. It could be any time of day, really.   We have two sets for each bed, so we don't have to wash/dry/remake in the same day.

My adult kids home from college change their own, on their own schedule. They may or may not just put them in the basket in the laundry room, or they may or may not wash them themselves. 

We have some dust allergies, but nothing major, so we don't have to be particularly careful. 

I usually take them off in the morning. I make my bed each morning so on wash day I don't make the bed. But it usually is afternoon when they get in the wash and clean sheets are put on. We don't have a dryer so each bed has 2 sets. I change sheets 2x a month. Sometimes I aim for weekly, but that usually doesn't happen. 

Well since it takes 2 full day to wash all the sheets, pillow cases, mattress pads and light weigh blankets (my kids don't use top sheets), the time of day depends on which load they are in.  Some are in the morning, some are at lunch, some are in the afternoon and some are in the evening.  If your stuff happens to finish too late at night, that person just gets fresh supplies from the cabinet and their stuff will get folded and put in the cabinet for the next time.

• Like 1

I am sensing that I have more sheet sets and quilts than the average person.  Good to know.  Due to dustmite allergies, the quilts, blankets, or comforters get washed every time, along with the sheets.  We do basically have two linen closets, one for sheet sets and comforters and one for quilts and blankets.

Yeah, our sheets don't get too gross.  We shower a lot and don't play in the mud 🙂  They just get dustmite-y, which my allergist tells me that after ten days, the dustmite growth is exponential.  At some point, I can't take it.

1 minute ago, cjzimmer1 said:

light weigh blankets (my kids don't use top sheets),

My ds is like this, and I wash his sleeping blankets much more frequently. I have a whole closet of those and he typically gets a fresh one every other day, at least every 3 days even if it's dry. And they're usually fleece and thin, so I just throw them in with his regular laundry. So then when I'm washing "sheets" it's less of a production, because I'm not necessarily washing everything.

I'm a weirdo clean freak about our bed, and I change the sheet every day (we only use a fitted sheet). This is partly habit from when my dh had bad allergies, and partly because our dogs sleep on the bed. We put a clean one on every evening. I wash our blankets and comforter pretty often, too.

I did laundry for a hotel one summer, and we had the coolest contraception for folding sheets. It was basically just a pole with a clip on it that would hold the other end(s) of the sheet for you, as if another person was helping. Only flat sheets at the hotel, though! Fitted would have given me fits. Management complained if there were too many wrinkles. 

I take the sheets off in the morning, but they get put back on whenever they have been washed and dried. They go right into the laundry room, but not always straight into the washer.

Sheet day is Friday, ,usually in the morning but I haven’t gotten to it yet today. Right back on the beds when they’re done.  It’s just mine and the boys’. The girls usually do their own, though they can feel free to throw in with ours. Sometimes the tiny dog will pee on dd’s bed instead of waking her up, so she’s not always on my schedule! And sometimes the cat is extra clingy, so my comforter gets thrown in randomly now and then.

We’re fitted-sheet-only people, so it isn’t a lot of bulk.  I try to get through as many blankets and what nots after that. 

Almost all of the beds do have a waterproof sheet on them and some do have an extra sheet under that. Life with little kids prepared me well for life with a dog that might piddle. 😝 

We take ours off Sunday morning and put a clean set back on right away and then wash the dirties either the same day or the next day. We also alternate each week, so this weekend is our sheets and DD’s sheets, next weekend will be both DS’s sheets. We usually wash blankets, comforters, quilts, etc. once a month or so.

All of the above?

Beds are stripped in the morning.  I usually wash sheets and towels last, so whether they get washed in the morning or afternoon depends on how many loads I have that day.  Ideally, beds are made as soon as the sheets are dry but life often intervenes and it doesn't happen until bedtime.   

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I really dislike folding sheets.

Yep! Unless we're crazy busy, we take off in the AM, launder, and then put them back on. I do change out what set I am using periodically.

1 hour ago, perkybunch said:

I am sensing that I have more sheet sets and quilts than the average person.  Good to know.  Due to dustmite allergies, the quilts, blankets, or comforters get washed every time, along with the sheets.  We do basically have two linen closets, one for sheet sets and comforters and one for quilts and blankets.

Yeah, our sheets don't get too gross.  We shower a lot and don't play in the mud 🙂  They just get dustmite-y, which my allergist tells me that after ten days, the dustmite growth is exponential.  At some point, I can't take it.

We have extras too in case we don't have time to launder stuff all in one day. Dust and dust mites are awful!!! 

Our bed, I take off in the morning and wash sometime during the day. I *should* put the other set on immediately, but somehow it is always just before bed. Every other time I wash pillows and quilt, so that takes longer.

Kid's beds have Beddy's bedding, so it's off in the morning, wash immediately, and back on.

I usually don't do more than 2 beds the same day. Each bed gets done roughly 7-10 days. I *love* fresh sheets and if/when I have a bed that is easier for me to change I would change mine much more often.

Growing up, we changed sheets every Monday and Thursday. I can't seem to manage more than once per week.

All our sheets get washed once a week...though not always on the same day.  I still have two kiddos who periodically wet the bed, so some morning each week when one of the beds is wet, I put out the call to all the kids that it is sheet changing day.  All the kids strip their beds while I do mine.  Then the boys put new sheets on while I help the youngest put new sheets on her bed.  It takes 3-4 loads to wash all of our sheets (depending on if a mattress pad and blanket also got wet), so I do them over the course of the day, and the kids put them away that evening before bed.  I put the same, freshly cleaned, sheets back on the master bed later in the evening.

There are times when I will wash the pillow cases an extra time or two each week.  When the summer nights are hot and sweaty or if there is an illness going through the house then I will change all the pillow cases frequently...we have a ton of extras, so I can just put the dirty ones in the hamper to get washed in the regular clothes loads.

Wendy

The question assumes there's some plan and not that I change them when I realize it hasn't been done in a couple of weeks and suddenly have the will to do it. So... often at bedtime, but also often midday if dh is about to do laundry or in the morning before dh comes to bed if I'm ready to do it. Basically any time can be sheet changing time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, klmama said:

I remove the sheets in the morning, wash and dry them, and then put them back on at some point before bedtime.  

This.  I like to let the mattress air a bit.  Often I'll spray it with a lavender oil/tea tree oil/water mix to freshen the bed sometime before putting the sheets back on.  Last night the sheets went back on just before bed.

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

The question assumes there's some plan and not that I change them when I realize it hasn't been done in a couple of weeks and suddenly have the will to do it. So... often at bedtime, but also often midday if dh is about to do laundry or in the morning before dh comes to bed if I'm ready to do it. Basically any time can be sheet changing time.

This! 

I do Dd's more often bc the dog sleeps on her bed. 

• Like 1

Morning, afternoon, bedtime. . . I am not consistent. Also I often remove sheets in the morning but get sidetracked and don’t replace them until later.  So do we count the time o start the job or the time I finish it? 🤨

Every Friday is change the beds day (exceptfor 19 year old who doesn't do it as often and is beligerent at the idea of being expected to do household chores ... he does it every couple of weeks).

Beds are stripped in the daytime usually morning. 15 year old immediately makes up his bed with clean bedding. I like to let mine air for a few hours, then we rotate the mattress and make the bed back up. Sheets are taken to laundry room and a load is immediately started but it takes a while to get through them all.

I would have to say "other" if there was that option.  We have no rhyme or reason at our house.  It's just whenever it occurs to me.  🙂  And probably not as often as I should...  but at least every other week, before we go to bed.  I've never been a scheduled person and just kind of go with it.  My dh's mother was very scheduled (large Irish Catholic family in the 50's - 70's) and used to reverse the fitted sheets one week after putting on fresh sheets, and then washing them all after two weeks.  

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

So your head is on sheets that your feet had previously been on?  I feel like I am missing some key understanding that would make this make sense.  

Haha, maybe she also turned them inside out?  I just asked my dh what the logic was to that, and he said he had no idea.  😄

11 hours ago, perkybunch said:

We always change our sheets at bedtime, right before we're going to bed.  Every couple of weeks-ish.  I was wondering if I should tell my dd that we are odd that way, that most people change their sheets during the day.  We strip our beds and pile the sheets in the hallway corner, and my dh (because I am allergic to dustmites) launders them for the next few days as he has time.  I'm guessing our entire sheet system is odd.  Anyone?  What do you do?

I had no idea until this threat that people actually have a set time of day when they change their sheets...  But what I've always thought of as odd (I mean, us being odd, not other people), is that we don't change them as often as other people.  It has always been at the bottom of my list of things to do.