Menu

Recipes with beans

lulalu

I make this, and it's fabulous. I add in a parmesan rind with the water but, other than that, I make it exactly as written. My BFF makes it with extra herbs & spices. My picky DS7 will pick out the chickpeas and eat the pasta, and I call that a win!

https://food52.com/recipes/66790-victoria-granof-s-pasta-con-ceci

• Like 3

Ok, this is not tried and true because I'm like you with dried beans in my pantry, haha. But I was watching this video and thought it had some techniques I hadn't thought to try. 

For chick peas, usually what I do is cook them and then freeze into sandwich bags. Then I can throw some into vege soup, make a batch of hummus, etc. You can also *can* your dried beans if you have a pressure canner and jars. It's really popular right now to can your own beans for refried beans. People put the beans in dry with water and seasons and can, boom. I super love using lightly sugared pinto beans. I buy Randalls, but if I got my act around and did them myself I could save a fortune, haha.

25 minutes ago, CAJinBE said:

Instant Pot

Yes!!! Beans are AWESOME in the instant pot. Op could just take the type of bean and google bean plus instant pot and find recipes to try. 

• Like 3

Pintos--

Refritos--

Take 2 cups of dry beans.  Cover the beans in 3X volume of cold water, bring to a boil, boil for 3 minutes, turn off heat, let cool in water.  Pour off water and rinse beans thoroughly.  This takes out most of the gas producing stuff.

Return to a big, clean, heavy pot.  Or a crockpot.  Add about 6 cups of water, more or less.  Also add 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic, jarred is fine.  Simmer fast until beans are softened/done.  Do not drain.  

While doing this, chop 4 large white or yellow onions.  Cook slowly in a big, heavy pot in about half an inch of olive oil, stirring frequently, until every single area of each onion piece is limp and medium to deep brown, not black.  A little limp yellow is fine, but no traces of rawness can remain.  This is the most important part of the recipe.  Get it right.  It takes at least half an hour.  Then add two tablespoons of chopped garlic, mix in thoroughly, and cook over low heat just a little bit longer until it's hard to see the garlic distinctly from the onions.  

Lift the beans out of their pot, little by little, with a pierced spoon or other skimming device and put into the onion pot.  This is why you used a big pot to cook the onions.  Add a little of the bean water, and mash with one of those wooden flat ended mashers--round or rectangular.  I find that the rectangular ones work a little better.  The onions, if done right, will disappear right into the beans and give them an amazingly good flavor.  Once all the beans are mashed, gently warm the mixture in the pot, adding more bean water if it gets thicker than typical refried beans.  Mix thoroughly, salt to taste (not always necessary).  

These are absolutely amazing.  They freeze well.  They are as much better than canned as garden tomatoes are better than supermarket tomatoes in January.  They are wonderful on homemade Masa Harina or Maseca corn tortillas, with or without shredded sharp cheddar cheese and/or some kind of taco meat.  

• Like 3

My whole family loves this recipe for sweet and sour beans...https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-n-sour-beans/

This recipe is flexible -- you don't have to use the exact beans called for in the recipe, *EXCEPT* for the baked beans ratio.  Don't mess with the baked beans, but the rest can be whatever beans you have on hand.   I also find the bacon to be non-essential.  Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.  No one in my family seems to care either way. 🙂

Sometimes I have sauteed other veg (such as zuc or squash or....)  along with the onion and that has been nice.

I usually double the sauce, and serve this over cooked white (or brown) rice.

• Like 1

I grew navy beans in my garden just because of this recipe:

Chipotle Navy Bean Soup

1 1/2 c. dried navy beans, soaked 6-8 hours

1 T Olive oil

1 onion chopped

2 Chipotle chillis in adobo, chopped

4 c. Water or stock

2 t. Salt

1-2 t. rice vinegar

ground pepper

Drain beans. Heat oil in a pot, then sauté until soft. As drained beans, chilis, and water. Bring heat up to to establish a simmer. Lower heat and cook for 1 hour until beans are creamy. Pureé for added softness of you like. Sir in salt, vinegar, and pepper. Taste and serve.

Edited by SusanC
left out key unit
  • Like 1

Smitten Kitchen Spicy Citrusy Black Beans are good. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_citrusy_black_beans/ 

I make a fast knock-off of this recipe that I like equally.

Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans and dump into a saucepan.

Add chopped onion and a minced clove of garlic.

2 teaspoons of Emeril's Southwest Seasoning (I keep made up in a jar)  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emerils-southwest-seasoning-3646081

1/2 cup of orange juice

1/4 to 1/2 cup water

Lime juice ( ptional)

Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced. I add a dash of chipotle chili powder before serving.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mmasc said:

This calls for canned black beans, but I’m going to post anyway because they are so yummy and I’m assuming would work with cooked from dried black beans as well. 

https://oursaltykitchen.com/citrus-black-beans-sweet-potato-quinoa/

I don’t even use the rest of the recipe; I just use it for the bean part 🙂 

This is very similar to my black bean recipe from dry beans.  I pre-soak the beans, cook them in water, then basically add the ingredients in this recipe, though I've only ever used lime, the orange juice sounds intriguing.  Also, instead of chili powder, I use 1-2 chilis from a can of chipotle chilis in adobo.  I place the rest of the can of chilis into a plastic ziplock and freeze it flat, then I just break off chunks directly from the freezer and chop them still frozen for future beans.  

For chickpeas, I like:

hummus

falafel

"Butter chicken" this recipe but entirely vegan by subbing chickpeas for the chicken and coconut milk (shelf stable!) for the cream.   

Roasted chickpeas with various seasonings, to be used as salad toppings.  

For pintos, I like refried beans.  To be honest, I cheat and buy a can of store-made refried, then I just use an immersion blender to add a couple can's worth of pintos.  Add a big scoop of salsa, and there you go.  Sometimes, I'll add additional lentils to give the refried a more meaty texture.  

For lentils, I just cook them and add them to salads.  

My dd and I now use red beans or lentils instead of taco meat.  Just cooked beans and some taco seasoning.  The rest of the family still prefers ground beef.  

• Like 3

I looove beans.

I like hummus, but I usually buy it prepared.  For garbanzos/chick peas, my favorites to make are cazuela de garbanzo (a Spanish stew with paprika and chorizo), and a butternut and swiss chard tagine (veg).

Same with pintos - they're the right bean for refried, but I tend to buy the refried already mashed.  Someone just gave me a recipe for peanut butter pinto bean chili which I've only tried once but was interesting, and I was looking for something to do with pintos...

White beans (cannelini or navy, I mix 'em up), I add to any kind of stew/soup I make - chicken, turkey, beef.  Oh, and my whole family's absolute favorite is ham and kale with white beans.

Black beans I make Cuban style black beans, a black bean soup recipe someone just gave me after I loved it at a potluck, Calypso black bean salad (cold/veg), and I also just started making a black bean brownie recipe that I really like.

Kidney beans I make a quinoa chili (veg), less often a chili with ground meat, red beans and rice (with andouille sausage), and a kidney/brown rice and dill salad (cold/veg).

Regular brown lentils I make my old family recipe lentil soup that I tweaked a bit to make lower carb.

Red lentils I've just started experimenting with; I've been making a coconut red lentil soup (veg).

I also just started making a yellow pea and mushroom soup that I like (veg).

Don't want to write all those out, but if anyone's interested in a specific one, happy to share.  Anything I put (veg) next to is vegetarian or vegan.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Red lentils I've just started experimenting with; I've been making a coconut red lentil soup (veg).

I made this https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-red-lentil-soup-with-north-african-spices and still have some of the leftovers in my frig. I guess I'm more of a regular lentil kinda woman, but it was fine. It was even good. It's just that this recipe https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/2017-disney-food-wine-cookbook-shares-recipes-coast-to-coast/  is so outlandishly good that I keep comparing them, lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

I made this https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-red-lentil-soup-with-north-african-spices and still have some of the leftovers in my frig. I guess I'm more of a regular lentil kinda woman, but it was fine. It was even good. It's just that this recipe https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/2017-disney-food-wine-cookbook-shares-recipes-coast-to-coast/  is so outlandishly good that I keep comparing them, lol.

I will have to try that second one!  I have a bunch of red lentils and only the one recipe so far.  I love North African, Middle Eastern and Indian spices!  (My regular brown lentil soup has no spices at all, but I love that too...)

"Bacon soup" (navy beans or other white beans + fresh spinach; can use as little as one strip of bacon if supplies are tight)

I use cannellini beans instead of tuna in salade nicoise.

black bean soup - recipe is for Crock-Pot, but I often just make it on the stove, often with some rice

vegan Mexican food incorporating black beans

French lentils with mushrooms and kale (or other leafies) - must have a lemon on hand

smoked apple veggie burger (chickpeas, a granny smith apple, liquid smoke)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Is that pounds or cups? And how hot does it turn out? 

Cups, thanks for asking.

I don't think it is particularly spicy, but I love spicy. My spicy averse one will eat it but says it is spicy. You could start with a small pepper and then have more available for garnish. The most important thing is not to forget the vinegar at the end!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Okay, I am going to need you guys to make up these delicious recipes and send them to me (well the vegan ones please).   I figure since I am recovering from a lumpectomy and covered in hives (while waiting for Plaquenil to kick back in after restarting it after surgery...stupid irritated immune system and pandemic  are making this whole breast cancer thing so much worse),  you will take lots of pity of me and not mind doing this.😉

For vegan recipes using beans, my family likes these:

Classic minestrone https://cookieandkate.com/classic-minestrone-soup-recipe/ (just leave off the optional parmesan, or use a vegan version)

Sweet potato and black bean tacos  https://buildyourbite.com/sweet-potato-tacos/

Potato, white bean and kale vegan soup https://www.tasteslovely.com/potato-white-bean-kale-vegan-soup/ (I usually don't make the crostini)

• Like 3

Kidney beans- chili, or we make a cold kidney bean salad, like potato salad but sub the beans for the potatoes.

Black beans- soup (Iowagirleats.com) or  cooked with some chili powder and cumin and served over rice, topped with raw onions, tomatoes, crushed taco chips and sour cream.  Or in cowboy caviar salad.

Navy or other white beans- soup or in calico beans or white chili or baked beans

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Any white beans I turn into white chicken chili. Now Trader Joes has this white bean hummus that I'm forever dreaming of replicating. I may just be remembering it better than it is, lol. 

White beans, mashed with some green chiles and cheese  (and or sour cream) make a great filling for burritos or enchiladas. I make them into burritos and heat with some canned or homemade (Pioneer Woman's recipe) enchilada sauce over them. Yumm!

Too carby for me to eat now that I am diabetic, but easy, fast and good.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lulalu said:

All kinds 😂 I have black, kidney, white, chickpeas, navy. 

The white beans are good in white chicken chili, ham soups, and hummus.  The black beans can go on salads, burritos, red chilis, or black beans and rice.  You can make falafel with the chickpeas or put them in salads or curries.  Put them in minestrone soups.  Any of them can be cooked, seasoned, and served over rice as a main meal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I looove beans.

I like hummus, but I usually buy it prepared.  For garbanzos/chick peas, my favorites to make are cazuela de garbanzo (a Spanish stew with paprika and chorizo), and a butternut and swiss chard tagine (veg).

Same with pintos - they're the right bean for refried, but I tend to buy the refried already mashed.  Someone just gave me a recipe for peanut butter pinto bean chili which I've only tried once but was interesting, and I was looking for something to do with pintos...

White beans (cannelini or navy, I mix 'em up), I add to any kind of stew/soup I make - chicken, turkey, beef.  Oh, and my whole family's absolute favorite is ham and kale with white beans.

Black beans I make Cuban style black beans, a black bean soup recipe someone just gave me after I loved it at a potluck, Calypso black bean salad (cold/veg), and I also just started making a black bean brownie recipe that I really like.

Kidney beans I make a quinoa chili (veg), less often a chili with ground meat, red beans and rice (with andouille sausage), and a kidney/brown rice and dill salad (cold/veg).

Regular brown lentils I make my old family recipe lentil soup that I tweaked a bit to make lower carb.

I also just started making a yellow pea and mushroom soup that I like (veg).

Don't want to write all those out, but if anyone's interested in a specific one, happy to share.  Anything I put (veg) next to is vegetarian or vegan.

Paying for prepared hummus hurts my feelings.  The mark-up is obscene for those ingredients.  I mean, sometimes I do it, but it hurts my feelings.  

• Haha 1

Black beans are our favorite.  I generally cook them (just keeping enough water to cover, so sometimes adding more as they cook) with water, garlic, salt and pepper.  They are so flavorful, that they don't need much else.  I serve them over rice with cheese and onions and tomatoes and cilantro sprinkled on top, or use them in burritos, or serve them with scrambled eggs and avocados.  They're also really good as a soup -- just add extra water or broth, plus onions and carrots, or even salsa.

Pinto or red beans are good in a slow cooker with a whole onion and garlic cloves with just enough water.  After cooking al day, I mash them and add up to a jar of salsa and salt and pepper.  They're great however you'd eat refried beans ~  on the side, in burritos, etc.

Navy beans are great with a little ham and turned into soup.  (I'll generally add celery and onions and sometimes carrots.)

White chicken chili with any white beans is also a favorite.  (Serve with grated Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro on top.) 

• Like 1