Menu

Summer - What now? Online?

First, I hope everyone and their families are safe and well.  I am wondering what everyone is now planning to do as many summer camps will be cancelled this year.

My 7th grader was planning to attend the Duke Tip summer program, but that is now cancelled.  I am researching their online programs as an alternative.  I am wondering what summer options you all are considering.  My son loves world history and geography (particularly anything to do with dictators), though he also loves math and science.  I can have him continue his math class online with Russian School of Math.  I think I'd only sign up for one more thing, because I want to leave time for his own reading, research, and summer relaxation.  I also have a 2nd grader who will continue his 4th grade math classes at RSM.  We'll probably just explore a lot of his passions as they come up, but he is my most social child and really loves class via Zoom.  If you have any suggestions for younger kids, that is appreciated too.

DS7 is signed up for a week of CubScout Day Camp in June, but that’s unlikely to happen. 

We’ll be continuing school for as long as we’re stuck in isolation mode. We’ll take a week off in June, & another week or two in August before beginning “next school year” if this drags all summer.

I’m thinking a lighter schedule, a chance to use up some curricula we abandoned mid-year. Finish CAP Fable. Begin cursive copy work. Read. Paint. Draw. Sew. Play math games. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 1

DD is doing two summer seminars at Athena's. G3 also has some interesting looking ones, but she's going to do the full semester version there. Some of the colleges are putting their summer camps online as well, like Wake Forest.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 8:02 AM, dmmetler said:

DD is doing two summer seminars at Athena's. G3 also has some interesting looking ones, but she's going to do the full semester version there. Some of the colleges are putting their summer camps online as well, like Wake Forest.

I've been hoping more summer programs will move online. I'm especially looking for foreign language programs.

Have you checked CTY, EPGY, TIPS, etc? I believe they have all cancelled their camps and increased their online offerings. I will say that getting slots in Homeschool Spanish Academy has been very difficult-my daughter went from having two booked per week to having maybe 1 in the entire month of April due to teacher cancellations. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Have you checked CTY, EPGY, TIPS, etc? I believe they have all cancelled their camps and increased their online offerings. I will say that getting slots in Homeschool Spanish Academy has been very difficult-my daughter went from having two booked per week to having maybe 1 in the entire month of April due to teacher cancellations. 

I will look into those, thanks.

I'd sign myself up for Great Books Summer!  I signed up my 7th grader the fourth day of online registration for Duke Tip, and he is waitlisted for everything he wanted.  They are having a huge influx of participants.  We'll see.  The website is a bit frustrating, but I certainly can't complain.  They're overwhelmed and underfunded right now.  I'll take a look through these other suggestions.  Thank you all and keep them coming.  I signed my 8-year-old up for a Harry Potter themed chemistry class on Outschool.com that he is ecstatic about.  I am considering a Readers' Theater class as well.