Menu

Has anyone tried the new US history curriculum from Blossom & Root?

bevwdi

A River of Voices

I've been looking at the sample of "A River of Voices" which is the first volume (of three) of the US History curriculum being put out by Blossom & Root. It looks interesting and flexible, like you could get really deep in history or only go over it lightly depending on each child's interest. It also looks like it could be taught family style, including a variety of kids from kindergarten through the end of middle school. It seems really rare (to me) that a history curriculum could really do justice to such a wide age group. I have two kids, one age 11 and going into sixth, and the other, age 9 and going into fourth. We really enjoy our literature and fine arts studies more than history, so this seems like a nice middle way between history programs that take over your schedule and just reading a book and narrating. Plus, I like that it seems to share our family support for multiculturalism.

It just came out this spring so I'm probably asking too much to see if anyone has used it yet, but I'm betting someone here has already bought it, downloaded it, and examined it to see if the materials make sense together and if it really could be done in a multi-age setting. Thanks for any feedback!

• Like 1

I haven't used their history curriculum yet but there is a FB group for families using Blossom & Root that may have more info and there are some users on Instagram who used it. The user homeschooler_by_design has a review and flip-through on her IGTV:

All of her curriculum is new enough that not many people have discussed it or reviewed it on these forums. If you do end up using it, please update after you are done about how you liked it!

Edited by Shahrazad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, Shahrazad said:

All of her curriculum is new enough that not many people have discussed it or reviewed it on these forums. If you do end up using it, please update after you are done about how you liked it!

Thank you so much for sharing that IG review. It was super helpful. I did buy it, I really think it will be great for my kids, though I may add in a more traditional spine to go along with it, but there is room and flexibility for it. I will update after we've worked on it for a bit.