Menu

Are any kids playing with neighbors?

Calizzy

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, so I pretty much get it, except how is fishing likely to require medical aid more than say, riding a bike? And fishing can bring in free food, which people out of work may need. 

Because idiots in NZ go fishing off the rocks then get swept into the sea or trapped by the tide and everyone has to hunt for them for days.   You are not supposed to do risky biking/mountain biking but I guess it is a risk/benefit assessment. Most people are getting some income from either the wage subsidy scheme or the benefit system.  People used to having a good income who can't work from home will be under financial stress especially if the have a high debt load but those of us on low incomes aren't much worse off and are spending less.  For example the government wage subsidy is 40% my brother's income but about 95% of mine.  His employer is supposed to top it up to 80% if possible but I suspect he may usually do overtime etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, so I pretty much get it, except how is fishing likely to require medical aid more than say, riding a bike? And fishing can bring in free food, which people out of work may need. 

You also MUST stay local.  Unless you have a river in your personal backyard, you are likely going to have to get in a car and drive to fish.  By saying no fishing, they are emphasizing that you must be LOCAL. 

• Like 3

On 4/7/2020 at 12:14 AM, kiwik said:

We don't do things by halves.  Lockdown means don't use the car except for groceries and medines, no food places including takeaways.  You can exercise in your local area providing you keep 2 m distance and don't swim, surf, fish, tramp, hunt or anything else requiring rescue or medical aid.  The minister of health was demoted today for driving 20 km with his family for a walk and 2 guys were arrested for fishing (arrest is the end of a 4 step process though and they would have been able to apologise and home at several points).  The new infectilons are dropping though.  And yes some complain but most of us will do what is needed.

If only North Americans would do the same!

Sigh. 

• Like 2

No. Normally I’m a “keep your eyes on your own paper” kind of a girl... But right now? I’m a mom of an extrovert who is seeing a couple of her friend, who have apparently NO restrictions, post pics of being everywhere, getting together, etc., and I’m feeling a bit resentful. 

Nope, kids are doing nothing with anyone in any place. It helps we live on two acres in the country.  I’d lose my mind with a tiny yard. I admit I’m still waiting for the new family across our road to set up chairs and use our kids as entertainment....

22 hours ago, J-rap said:

States have their own ways of guiding/enforcing social distancing, but the whole point is to minimize spread.  So, kids from one family playing with kids from just one other family doesn't seem like a big deal, for sure.  Except that that immediately increases potential points of contact.  I'm assuming that at least one parent from the two households still goes into work, and probably one parent from both households goes to the grocery store occasionally, or gets gas, etc.   Mix the two families together, and those potential contact points can increase substantially, because of course anyone who works at the grocery store, for example, becomes a contact point as well and they're around other customers and all of those people have families, and on and on and on.  So even though it's still just kids from two families playing together, and even though it's a lot better than being in a classroom all day with kids from multiple families, those contact points are still happening.

The way I look at it is like this:  We can't possibly eliminate all of those points of contact ~ it's about minimizing them as best as we can.  Many people don't have the choice to shelter in place:  essential workers, their children who go to daycare, those who don't have covid19 but have serious health conditions that require them to keep going to clinics and hospitals.  So, I figure those of us who actually can minimize exposure, should.

At the same time, I get it.  We no longer have young children living at home, but I'm sure that when they were young kids and if they saw their neighborhood buddies playing outside, they'd want to join them.

Same.

My son and his friends (teens) had worked out no more than 2 or 3 person social Pods who could meet together physically, and then the pods could online visit virtually with other pods.

But alas his just one other friend is from a large extended family several members of whom still have work outside home, and most  of their contacts will have at least a couple of other contacts who will each have at least a couple of contacts...

So the friend pod idea, while I thought it was great the kids thought it up and instituted it on their own, still seemed like ultimately indirect contact with an exponential progression number of others .  

So I called an end to that the week before our state did official Stay Home orders. 

A few kids in our neighborhood are getting together. There is a group of teens that have been fishing in a pond behind our house. They seem to be hanging out together but at a distance.

Ds went back to his off campus apartment with his roommate two weeks ago. He's 20 so I get it. We text and video chat and they seem to be taking it seriously.

The concerning thing for me is the golf course I can see from my backyard. It has been busy this past week and the adults don't appear to be keeping their distance at all.

Edited by Joker

10 hours ago, kiwik said:

Because idiots in NZ go fishing off the rocks then get swept into the sea or trapped by the tide and everyone has to hunt for them for days.   You are not supposed to do risky biking/mountain biking but I guess it is a risk/benefit assessment. Most people are getting some income from either the wage subsidy scheme or the benefit system.  People used to having a good income who can't work from home will be under financial stress especially if the have a high debt load but those of us on low incomes aren't much worse off and are spending less.  For example the government wage subsidy is 40% my brother's income but about 95% of mine.  His employer is supposed to top it up to 80% if possible but I suspect he may usually do overtime etc. 

ah! I was picturing people like here, either on a soft bank of a shallow pond (there are everywhere here) or on a boardwalk/pier or on the beach, which here is sandy and again, fairly shallow. Worst danger is a fish hook in your hand or getting stabbed by a catfish quill. Both of which are not life threatening and can be handled by urgent care  or regular family doctor in a few minutes. And you can definitely walk to a pond or 3 from my house if you wanted. Boardwalk in a park with allowed fishing (with license) is 5 minutes by car. Many live closer than that to it, or the ocean, and many on the coast live ON the water. My parents are on a canal connected to the intercoastal and fish off their back dock all the time, plus have a boat, etc. But, it's calm inland waters, not dangerous. 

• Like 1

We put up a sign on the front door March... 10th, maybe? advising people we're sick. I'm still sick and haven't taken it down, and no one's bothered us. You could put up a sign indicating that your family is Not Available to Play, Sorry.

I suspect two families on the block are intermingling, as they're very close, but it may be that the adults are working from home and having food delivered or something. No need to buy gas if you don't use the car.

The problem with saying, "Oh, we both go to the same grocery store," is the two shoppers at different times are not in there breathing with the same people, touching the same card reader, etc. Any place with people in it is effectively a different risk at different times.

• Like 1