Menu

eBay - help with item not received

TrixieB

In mid-March, I bought an item on eBay.  It was listed as shipping from a U.S. location about 1000 miles from my U.S. location, and stated would be delivered by March 24.  I haven't received it.

Now when I look at "My eBay" the tracking number doesn't look like a USPS tracking number, although it says USPS tracking.  When I looked up the tracking number prefix, it appears that the item was shipped from Asia although the listing clearly specified that the item would ship from the U.S.  I have a copy of the listing at the time I made the purchase.  eBay now shows "We removed this listing from the site. For more information and next steps go to Messages. For information about delivery, view your order details."

But I don't have any messages...?  The order details show "shipment information received" but nothing more.

I've never had an item not delivered before.  What are the appropriate steps to resolve this?  At this point I would hope to get my money back because I think the item will not be delivered.  I paid with Paypal.

• Like 1

you have to open a dispute.  - go to your purchase history page, to the item, to the right side of the screen where it says "more actions", and click on "I didn't receive it".   this can take several days, as you have to contact the seller first - through ebay, then they have a set amount of time to contact you before ebay intervenes.

a couple years ago, I ordered something that was clearly listed as a delayed shipment due to legit circumstances of the order.   I never received the items.  once the delivery-by date came and went, I was able to start the process.  there was a long line of buyers with complaints.  I don't know if the seller died, or thought they'd run off with the money.  (or maybe they just dropped off the face of the planet).  ebay reversed all charges and I received a full refund.  it took a couple weeks or so for everything to sort out- but it was sorted

• Like 2

Open a dispute. They will help you work it out. I had that happen on time with a game from the UK. It got lost, I opened a dispute. The seller wanted me to wait till a date past the dispute window. I declined and got a refund instead. The game showed up months later. LOL The seller didn't want it back (prob cost more in shipping than the product cost them to make). 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 6:16 AM, TrixieB said:

In mid-March, I bought an item on eBay.  It was listed as shipping from a U.S. location about 1000 miles from my U.S. location, and stated would be delivered by March 24.  I haven't received it.

Now when I look at "My eBay" the tracking number doesn't look like a USPS tracking number, although it says USPS tracking.  When I looked up the tracking number prefix, it appears that the item was shipped from Asia although the listing clearly specified that the item would ship from the U.S.  I have a copy of the listing at the time I made the purchase.  eBay now shows "We removed this listing from the site. For more information and next steps go to Messages. For information about delivery, view your order details."

But I don't have any messages...?  The order details show "shipment information received" but nothing more.

I've never had an item not delivered before.  What are the appropriate steps to resolve this?  At this point I would hope to get my money back because I think the item will not be delivered.  I paid with Paypal.

Open a dispute sooner rather than later.  I made the mistake of believing someone when they claimed to be sorting the problem and they just procrastinated till it was too long for the eBay dispute.  I then had to do a PayPal dispute and the seller told PayPal I had modified the item. PayPal believed them and closed the case without giving me any opportunity to answer that claim so I lost my $40.   It was also too late to even leave feedback.  So based on this do not give them long to sort it out.  Especially if they shipped from Asia.

• Like 3

I would file a Dispute ASAP. If they showed the item was in the USA and it was actually shipped from Asia, that is DECEPTION and  eBay doesn't like that...

Now, with regard to the Tracking Numbers...  MANY shippers (including FedEx and UPS in the USA) have low cost services where the USPS does the actual delivery, which I believe is called the "Final Mile" or something. That's incredibly expensive to do. So, companies like DHL GlobalMail (is that their current name?) and many others, will show up as USPS deliveries and with USPS Tracking Numbers. I have had very good luck with many shipments like that that were sent to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami FL USA. The original shipping company "Tenders" the item to the USPS and then the USPS takes over. One can track those shipments on the USPS Tracking Web site.

Again, I would file a Dispute and I would indicate DECEPTION.  It is one thing to be willing to have something shipped from Asia (which at the moment, because of Covoid-19 I suspect would take much longer than before Covoid-19) and much faster to have something shipped within the USA.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

I started the dispute and indicated deception.  I never would have made the purchase if the item description had indicated that it would ship from Asia.  I have a printout of the original listing and it clearly states the item was located in City, State, USA.

With any luck, this will be resolved quickly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Christopher Fisher said:

can you please describe actually what's the problem in ship from Asia?? Is it takes extra time or something else?

Before the Covid-19 issues, it would have taken far more time and also possibly required payment of U.S. Customs duties and fees. Now, with few flights from Asia to the USA, transportation is a big issue, for International shipments. The same might be true for getting something from where the Seller is located (ie: in some city in China) to the city where the International flight will depart from. At this time, I do not believe there are any passenger flights (they carry freight in the belly of the aircraft) to/from the USA and China. Possibly there are some Cargo flights? Space is limited...  Customs clearances probably delayed because of people out sick and other Covid-19 issues.

• Like 1