Menu

Reading program?

Sommer

Hello all! I have a struggling reader. He’s 8 and All About Reading has been wonderful for him. We’re almost done with Level 2.

I would like to find a program that incorporates more reading of books. I would just have him read in his spare time, but 1. He’d rather be read to and 2. He’s not into reading on his own unless forced, lol.

I like Moving Beyond the Page but it’s too expensive for me right now.

Any recommendations?

Why do you need a program to tell you what books to read? 

Is his issue with independent reading that he's just not good enough at it yet, or the books available are boring (very common with graded learn to read books) or does he object to sitting still for that long? Or? 

Available books are boring to him. Plus he doesn’t like independent reading because he lacks confidence. If something is hard for him, he hates doing it. But I also feel like if he started reading more books then he’d improve and implement what’s he’s learning, not to mention even enjoy it (fingers crossed!)

If you haven't already tried it, choosing a book that's interesting and just a little difficult for him, then buddy reading it, can be a bridge between "reading program" and "independent reading." By that I mean sit together at a relaxed time. Get out a book like Elephant and Piggie or Frog and Toad or whatever fits his level with just a but of stretch. Then you read a page, he reads a page, or you read a sentence, he reads a sentence, whatever works. There are books called "You read to me, I read to you" that even have color coded buddy reading short stories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would continue with AAR, honestly. (It’s “been wonderful for him,” it covers comprehension and other basic reading skills really well, and it resells like a dream.) Instead of switching to another reading program, I would supplement with books you choose yourself. It may seem like he won’t read this or won’t read that. And I’m sure he is resistant! Reading is still challenging and few of us enjoy doing challenging things. But no one knows his ability and interests better than you! I just don’t think you’ll have as much success working through an assigned reading list. Also, I would not dial back on solid reading INSTRUCTION for a struggling reader.

I have a reluctant/struggling/picky reader myself, and I found the stage you’re in very difficult because AAR doesn’t easily “line up” to any particular book leveling system. To supplement the readers, I went to the library by myself an hour before closing, set up camp in the early reader section, and flipped through books until I found 10 that might work. We’d buddy read the 1-2 books he didn’t reject (too babyish! not funny enough!) and then I’d head back to the library. Rinse. Repeat. Eventually, we hit on a series or an author he liked. Then we were really in business!

All this to say, I feel for you. But I would be surprised if switching to another reading program did the trick.

• Like 1

I definitely would continue with AAR: it is worth finishing the program.  You will see so much growth, even if you don't add other books.  It is worth it: just keep going, and a year or so from now he'll be reading.  And you'll prevent later reading troubles.  Susan Wise Bauer also strongly suggests finishing out your phonics program.  You can do it!  AAR is really terrific, and it will get better for him soon. 

Agree with blendergal that that AAR level 2 / early level 3 is hard because they can't really read much yet.  I'd suggest getting some graphic novels; Timberdoodle often has good suggestions, and I myself was so desperate to get my elder to like reading that we got "Captain Underpants" books.  Potty humor, yes, but I really do think that they are morally well-centered books.  I kid you not. 

A year later I was sick of Captain Underpants books but the love of reading stuck.

ETA: "Frog and Toad" books mentioned above are wonderful and not babyish at all.

ETA #2: AAR can be expensive, I know, which is a whole 'nother facet of the problem ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

Congratulations on Wrapping up AAR 2!  We are almost there with our dd.  So my 1st grader is left handed and everything takes her a bit longer to process. She’s a true lefty. Like writes her name fully backwards and daily catches herself writing from right to left. Reading was hard for her.  We started with Explode the Code and moved into AAR 1.  Last year we started her in EM High Frequency Words because she didn’t think she could read outside of her AAR book and she really couldn’t.  She actually finished their whole lists a-d for the EM program this fall (1-3rd grade).  She loved it, she learned enough with AAR that most of the words she could read and she had worksheets to practice and a little story each week. I now have her doing Making Connections grade 1 for reading comprehension. Reading was the biggest worry but she actually loves Making Connections because it’s independent. She reads a story and then answers the questions. It’s really only a semester of work at the most but it’s helped boost her confidence a ton and she is now reading graphic novels (by Raina Teglemeire) with her 4th grade sister.  I recommend graphic novels when you can find them of interest. Check out getepic - great reading options, audiobooks and read alongs plus your state library should have a digital library plus if you are an amazon prime member. Good luck. I hope you find some suggestions for your kiddo.