Menu

Store reports: 1st week of April

@mathnerd no milk rationing at my nearby Safeway (forgot which thread it was you mentioned)

Reached Safeway at 1:23pm. Food wise, everything was in stock. I didn’t go to the bakery aisle as there was a crowd there so can’t tell if flour and yeast are in stock. 

We aren’t allowed to bring our own bags per the county’s latest advice. Top photo from Trader Joe’s, bottom green photo from Safeway. 

2AD23CFF-0D33-4653-B1A9-EE6702775046.jpeg

64CE8508-FB79-494F-A5F2-4F66FB427B25.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia
Typed the wrong time
17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd no milk rationing at my nearby Safeway (forgot which thread it was you mentioned)

Reached Safeway at 2:23pm. Food wise, everything was in stock. I didn’t go to the bakery aisle as there was a crowd there so can’t tell if flour and yeast are in stock. 

We aren’t allowed to bring our own bags per the county’s latest advice. Top photo from Trader Joe’s, bottom green photo from Safeway. 

2AD23CFF-0D33-4653-B1A9-EE6702775046.jpeg

64CE8508-FB79-494F-A5F2-4F66FB427B25.jpeg

@ArcadiaThank you, as always for your help 🙂 Costco still rations milk. My neighborhood Safeway was rationing milk 2 weeks ago and I have not been there since. I will hop over to Safeway and pick more up soon!

6 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

@ArcadiaThank you, as always for your help 🙂 Costco still rations milk. My neighborhood Safeway was rationing milk 2 weeks ago and I have not been there since. I will hop over to Safeway and pick more up soon!

Trader Joe’s isn’t rationing anything as well. In case you want to go to either.

• Thanks 1

Scotland. 4.30 on a weekday. Shops were quiet and orderly. Everyone was keeping two metres apart. There was a member of staff outside to stop people from entering if the store became too crowded. Lines were marked on the ground for safe distances at the checkout. Plastic screens were in place to protect checkout staff.

No bread flour, bulgur wheat or hand sanitiser. Some other items available but only in limited quantities: two boxes of oat milk; four tins of beans; two packs of loo roll; four bottles of wine.

It was all quite easy. Sorry it's still hard in some places for you.

Edited by Laura Corin
12 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I got 5 gallons of milk from Safeway on Tuesday - buying for us, my in-laws, and my dad.  We all want milk - LOL.

Central Texas, HEB at 11am on 4/10

Produce was fully stocked, including cut fruits and bagged salads. The meat department was well-stocked, but the ground turkey was almost entirely 99% lean. One of the meat guys told me that he knew they had 80% or 85% ground turkey somewhere and he found where it was frozen, so that's what I got. Dairy and eggs were fully stocked.

Whole wheat hamburger buns have been hard to find, but I was able to get them.

The pasta aisle was wiped out. There were some bags of various kinds of rice, but no basmati. I still have 2 pounds, so I'm going to wait. We go through a lot of rice.

There were plenty of paper towels, but the only toilet paper available was 4-packs of Vogue, which I'd never heard of. The limit was 1.

No swiffer wet jet solution (but Target had it when I stopped there on my way home to pick up a prescription). The only cleaning item they had was Windex, which is what I have at home. Nothing with bleach at all.

Frozen vegetables section was about half empty, but everything else in the freezers seemed well-stocked.

About 1/3 of customers were wearing masks. About 1/2 of employees were wearing masks. HEB provided all employees with 4 disposable masks to rotate through, but they weren't great masks. They started cutting into my dd's ears. She is wearing a mask, but not theirs.

I went Wednesday and noticed that, while there was still no flour, the bread aisle was fully stocked. I'm guessing the flour will come back soon once the novelty wears off for the new bakers.  I didn't know anyone but me every bought the 10lb bags of flour. 🤣

11 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I went Wednesday and noticed that, while there was still no flour, the bread aisle was fully stocked. I'm guessing the flour will come back soon once the novelty wears off for the new bakers.  I didn't know anyone but me every bought the 10lb bags of flour. 🤣

I don't buy 10lb bags of flour either, I buy 25 pound ones.  I wish it came it came in 50 pounders like the sugar but oh well.  I had 75+ pounds of white flour (plus I have wheat berries to grind for whole wheat flour) .  I emptied my first bag at just about 3 weeks into staying home.  I didn't even think I had been doing that much baking but apparently I don't track well how fast I go through it.  I'm hoping flour will recover fast than TP because at my current rate I only have 6 weeks left and TP has been missing longer than that.

Boston metro, instacart pickup at Wegmans.

I booked the slot 5 days ago by logging on in the middle of the night.  I did the ordering, and edited every 2 days as stock changed or we thought of more stuff to add on, and today I followed along on the updates while the shopper selected the items. For a 9-10 am pickup, she started at 7 am when the store opened. I had requested 75 line items (with multiples of some items, like apples). The shopper was working quickly, but about 1/4 of the items needed to be substituted or cancelled.  Ok, I just counted on the receipt: 12 substitutions, 8 cancellations. Substitutions mainly included switching brands or sizes for tp, tissues, flour, pancake mix (bought mainly since flour is scarce), some canned goods and some produce.  Cancelled items that she could not find included vanilla ice cream, buttermilk, chocolate syrup, disposable gloves, plus they only let her get 1 instead of 2 on flour and kitty litter. I was glad to get the one bag of flour. the shopper sent a pic of the aisle, only one option available. i am sure it sold out again this morning. No problem getting our preferred milk, OJ, bread, butter, and peanut butter, 2 of each. Got one 18 pack of eggs, the limit. They had pasta, limit 4, and i got more couscous, which has been my pasta stand-in. I splurged on a Wegmans quiche so I do not have to use up my stock of scarce items to make my own.

She finished picking items around 845. It took another 55 min before we got the text that the order was ready to pick up. Ex was picking up, but said he was happy to wait in the car because it was super crowded around the pick up area, the majority of customers had masks, but lots of instacart shoppers did not. they had ropes to separate the waiting areas but everyone huddled together for some reason. I told him to take all the stuff back to his place. Our kid will go to his place this weekend, they will have food the kid will eat, and they can sort it and bring half of it to me when he brings the kid back a couple days later. 

I will definitely plan to use this service again if that is an option for next time.  The main change i would make is that I would do 2 separate orders, one for me and one for my ex, so we can each get our own flour / tp / eggs if available.

Santa Clara County, California 

Went grocery shopping after my echocardiogram. Trader Joe’s Palo Alto has everything food wise. Sprouts Sunnyvale has everything too, including ample quantities of their sale items (asparagus, strawberries, pineapples, etc)

• Like 1