Menu

April 2020 General Conference thread (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

maize

It is conference weekend! Thought I would start our semi-annual thread for those of us watching.

I've been looking forward to this conference since last October, but right now, with the world grinding to a halt in the midst of a pandemic, I do feel particularly in need of spiritual food.

I'm interested to see how they handle the broadcast; I think the announcement was that only the First Presidency and actual speakers for each session would be in attendance? Music is supposed to be pre-recorded, I wonder if it is mostly Tabernacle Choir? Seems this would be a great opportunity for the choirs-from-around-the-world broadcast I've always thought would be  neat idea; they would have had to put that together before the pandemic though.

Three sessions today 🙂

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/broadcasts?lang=eng

• Like 2

Well, President Nelson did say this would be like none other.  (I assumed they were planning some type of broadcast from Palmyra.  in 1980, President Kimball did a broadcast from the Whitmer Farm for the sesquicentennial.)

I'm glad there is technology to still be able to have conference.   For the Spanish flu, it was postponed.

dh is bringing his sister back here so she can listen.  she doesn't have a TV in her own unit, and the condo where she lives, closed all the common areas.

• Like 2

We usually watch online on the computer, no TV here. Radio is also an option where we live; I like to listen while weeding the garden. Three sessions today, sitting for six hours is not something I would do by choice! Fortunately not necessary. I usually get some good cleaning in while listening to conference as well 🙂

• Like 2

I am so so so excited for this Conference. The last several years of Conference have definitely been “must-see,” but this one feels even more so. 

While I love CFM and home church, I really miss being fed by others. So I’m really looking forward to just taking it all in. 

I’m also looking forward to any further guidance on missionaries - I have a son who has been affected by all of that. 

But I think most of all, I’m just really looking toward to the peace I know I will feel. I tend to lean towards anxiety even in the normal world, and it has really ratcheted up over the last few weeks. I’m really looking forward to hearing the calming and comforting messages that I know will come. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, maize said:

We usually watch online on the computer, no TV here. Radio is also an option where we live; I like to listen while weeding the garden. Three sessions today, sitting for six hours is not something I would do by choice! Fortunately not necessary. I usually get some good cleaning in while listening to conference as well 🙂

she doesn't have a computer - so that's not an option for her.

I've got computers and TVs - so we put them on so we can do things as we move around the house.   with smart phones - that is an option too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

she doesn't have a computer - so that's not an option for her.

I've got computers and TVs - so we put them on so we can do things as we move around the house.   with smart phones - that is an option too.

No TV and no computer sounds like a peaceful way to live.

I would have a hard time giving up conveniences like online banking and online socializing though!

9 minutes ago, maize said:

No TV and no computer sounds like a peaceful way to live.

I would have a hard time giving up conveniences like online banking and online socializing though!

not by choice -she's broke.  her kids bought her a  condo so she'd have a place to live.  

the common room in the condo building has a TV - but it's closed.  she doesn't have a computer. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Hopefully they can all receive copies of the Ensign. Do they still formally publish the Conference Reports as separate booklets? I am old enough to remember those.

I think it is just the May and November editions of the Ensign/Liahona.

34 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Hopefully they can all receive copies of the Ensign. Do they still formally publish the Conference Reports as separate booklets? I am old enough to remember those.

Pretty sure conference reports aren't published anymore.  things are online.   we still have a set of conference reports (nearly complete) that go back to the year dh was born. which is nice.   In the 90s,  they just got too hard to obtain, and then it seems like they stopped being published because they were available online.  I like having the conference reports because talks before 1971 are harder to get access because they're not digital.    

Yeah, the internet thing is a problem for our branch.  We’ve actually gotten data plans and cell phones to make sure everyone is connected right now.  We didn’t do it for conference, but several families were able to watch because of their new data plans.

The Ensign doesn’t get delivered in lots of places, so that’s not really a viable alternative for a lot of people.  The only way to get conference afterward is through the internet.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MeaganS said:

I've heard this arrangement of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing a thousand times. But I love it every time. 😊

One of my very favorite hymns. I hope it makes it into the new hymnbook--it was in the pre-1985 version.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, maize said:

I like the new church symbol.

Had to google it. It's already been mentioned on Wikipedia!

(Yes, I always read these threads. My ancestors on my mom's side were LDS.)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, maize said:

I like the new church symbol.

by total coincidence, I ordered myself a statue of Thorvaldson's The Christus this afternoon (so, before the evening session).  I've wanted one for awhile.  I remember looking at the copy the church has in the north visitors center before I joined the church.  (I was in SLC, to ski.  I already knew I wanted to be baptized, but up to that point I had been afraid of what my grandmother would do to me when she found out.  After that, my fear left me.)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

dh and his sister (watching conference here) were talking about how much they prefer the acoustics for the choir in the tabernacle as opposed to the conference center.  it does have good acoustics.

Wait were some of the recordings from the Tabernacle? Or you just mean from remembering? 

39 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Wait were some of the recordings from the Tabernacle? Or you just mean from remembering? 

I wasn't paying as close attention.  I think some were from the tabernacle.  they still do Music and the Spoken Word from the Tabernacle.  And when they record/do concerts - it's in the tabernacle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Some of the recordings are from the Tabernacle.

I think they've pulled from many years of recordings.

• Like 2

Singing The Spirit of God brought me to tears.

I had wondered where they would get a recording of the Tabernacle Choir singing the Hossana Anthem since it is usually sung only at temple dedications. I recognized it when it came up--the Conference Center dedication in 2000!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 7:12 AM, maize said:

It is conference weekend! Thought I would start our semi-annual thread for those of us watching.

I've been looking forward to this conference since last October, but right now, with the world grinding to a halt in the midst of a pandemic, I do feel particularly in need of spiritual food.

I'm interested to see how they handle the broadcast; I think the announcement was that only the First Presidency and actual speakers for each session would be in attendance? Music is supposed to be pre-recorded, I wonder if it is mostly Tabernacle Choir? Seems this would be a great opportunity for the choirs-from-around-the-world broadcast I've always thought would be  neat idea; they would have had to put that together before the pandemic though.

Three sessions today 🙂

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/broadcasts?lang=eng

Yay!  You got your wish!  It was so beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like this will we the third temple in Nigeria and the second in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Amazing!

2 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

Yay!  You got your wish!  It was so beautiful.

Yes! I was so excited!

• Like 3

Just now, Michelle Conde said:

Incredible.  The Middle East and China, both!

I’m curious when the government of China decided to allow this (specifically whether it came before or after the church gifted them with all of that PPE before the virus went global).

I'm guessing it has been in the works for a long time.

But who knows? Humanitarian work certainly helps build good will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michelle Conde said:

Incredible.  The Middle East and China, both!

I’m curious when the government of China decided to allow this (specifically whether it came before or after the church gifted them with all of that PPE before the virus went global).

President Nelson speaks Mandarin.  His relationship with China's gov't goes back years.  The last surgery he performed in the 80's was on a Chinese singer who was very beloved in her country, as a special request by the Chinese Gov't.

I imagine this specifically has been in the works for years as they've worked out details.

• Like 2