Menu

What are you doing to celebrate your senior's graduation in these weird times?

KNormal procedure in our area is to have an open house and serve a buffet meal and invite everybody you know (in our case about 250 people). We had already reserved a friend's lake house with plenty of parking (for both my D'S and his friend whose circles largely overlap) for May 16. I suppose it's possible that restrictions will be lifted by then, but it certainly doesn't look likely. We also have a ceremony for about 14 hs graduates and their families scheduled for May 30. Again, who knows if that will actually happen or not.

I hate skipping it entirely, but would it be too weird to try to have something in July or August instead?

What all are you guys planning to make your senior feel special and celebrate their accomplishment under the shadow of covid19?

When my senior's classes finish in May (combo of online, community college, public school), we will have a celebration with just us.  It'll be pretty low-key-a favorite meal and a gift?  I'm looking for ideas on how to make it special, too!

I'm still planning on having a bigger party when it's safe to do so, and I don't think July or August would be weird.  Our local homeschool community doesn't have a ceremony or party or anything like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Random said:

When my senior's classes finish in May (combo of online, community college, public school), we will have a celebration with just us.  It'll be pretty low-key-a favorite meal and a gift?  I'm looking for ideas on how to make it special, too!

I'm still planning on having a bigger party when it's safe to do so, and I don't think July or August would be weird.  Our local homeschool community doesn't have a ceremony or party or anything like that.

I was talking to DH about it tonight and he thought July or August would be fine too. I was kinda worried D'S might be full on transitioned from high school mode to college mode by then, and wouldn't want it, but maybe I'm being silly ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I was talking to DH about it tonight and he thought July or August would be fine too. I was kinda worried D'S might be full on transitioned from high school mode to college mode by then, and wouldn't want it, but maybe I'm being silly ...

I think a summer party sounds fun.

• Like 3

I’m putting together a digital album set to background music with photos and a couple short videos from my DD’s fun times during high school. Sometime in the next couple weeks I’ll take her senior photo (I kept putting it off and then the pandemic happened). I’ll make a dairy free cake and other good favorites for a special dinner for just us to celebrate her high school graduation. I think we will use FaceTime with her grandparents and godparents before our graduation dinner starts. Whenever this pandemic is over we will have a bigger celebration. 

• Like 2

Well, this was last year with no pandemic, but we just did a small family graduation ceremony and celebration in my living room.  My dd dressed in cap and gown, processed down the hallway into the living room to Pomp and Circumstance (playing from our living room computer on Youtube), I gave a speech and presented her a diploma.  She said a few words, everyone clapped, we played her Senior Song (Muppets' "Rainbow Connection."  Apparently she hates all the traditional nostalgic senior songs.  They sound funereal to her.).  Then we had donuts and punch and took pictures.  Oh!  And we had done a lot of decorating with Graduation stuff from Party City and the Dollar Tree.  Lots of balloons and whatnot.  A good time was had by all.  Her smile after she got her diploma was very big.

By the way, we had done senior pictures at the local park a few weeks before, and I used Shutterfly to create graduation announcements and also to make graduation programs for the ceremony.  Fun!

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Summer parties are so much fun!  Especially in my area, where it's still potentially snowy and freezing in May.  It can be a combo graduation/going away party.

• Like 1

Our HS Prom was postponed to June.  DD said she did not want to go to prom after graduation.  Our graduation is scheduled for May 30th as well.  But, who knows if that will happen.  She decided to do Early Start in July, so if restrictions are lifted, we will do a going away/grad celebration last week of June just for family at our house.  So, maybe 20 people at most.

Definitely a disappointing way to finish up...

• Sad 2

We are still

hoping to have our homeschool graduation- the date may be moved from May to July- we will know in about 2 weeks. If by July things are still not as good, we will have a small ceremony with just the family. It will be a bummer as I have been planning and looking forward to it for years since this is my first. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We ordered a cap & tassel and a diploma. I think we might do a Zoom party for family, but we're not doing a large gathering at this point.  We'll probably make a cake and have a nice meal.  He had senior portraits done, and we're trying to figure out the wording of a graduation announcement. 

Same for me!  Let me know if you come up with something.  And want to share. 🙂 

• Like 1

I don't see anything weird about having a celebration in July or August at all.

We are still hoping to have our homeschool graduation. We've just postponed it indefinitely for now.

I'm hoping to be able to at least have my extended family over for a big dinner in June to celebrate with us. We'll have to see.

• Like 2