Menu

Book bindings: which do you prefer? (poll inside)

My friend is finishing up her K-12 writing program, but she's stuck on choosing a binding. She's trying to find a healthy balance of usability, durability, and cost. I set up a Google form to help her collect feedback. Would y'all mind taking two minutes to give your two cents? 😀

Here's the link: Help us choose the binding for Write by Number!

ETA: By special request, I'll also be taking responses here in this thread. Google Forms makes it convenient for me to post the link to the poll in multiple locations, and it automatically collects all the responses in one easy spreadsheet. It's a big timesaver. Unfortunately, it also requires e-mail address collection, which is a pain. If you use the link, there's an "opt-in" check box if you want to get updates about the books. We don't want to contact people who don't want to hear from us.

If you absolutely don't want to submit your e-mail address, you can comment here or just use the link with the e-mail address WTMboardie@dontspammebro.com. 🤣

Thanks, everyone! Stay safe and healthy!

--Brenda

Edited by SillyOldMom
Changed subject line; added option for answering here

Giving my answer here:

Spiral bound -- it lays flat, it can fold so it's just the size of an 8.5"x11" stack of pages, and is sturdier than comb-binding. Of the choices on your website, I guess the hard cover/conceal wire would be my next choice. It's just that the hard cover takes us more room on a shelf, and hard to fold it back on itself to reduce size while using it. (Which is why I like spiral bound.)

BTW -- you may get more responses if you set up the poll as part of this thread. I am unwilling to go to another person's website, and have to register (thus getting on an email list) in order to help out. Others on these boards may feel the same -- happy to help out, but not at the cost of getting on an email list 😉 Just a thought!

BEST of luck to your friend. Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Giving my answer here:

Spiral bound -- it lays flat, it can fold so it's just the size of an 8.5"x11" stack of pages, and is sturdier than comb-binding. Of the choices on your website, I guess the hard cover/conceal wire would be my next choice. It's just that the hard cover takes us more room on a shelf, and hard to fold it back on itself to reduce size will using it. (Which is why I like spiral bound.)

BTW -- you may get more responses if you set up the poll as part of this thread. I am unwilling to go to another person's website, and have to register (thus getting on an email list) in order to help out. Others on these boards may feel the same -- happy to help out, but not at the cost of getting on an email list 😉 Just a thought!

Thanks for the feedback, Lori! I always appreciate your insight and experience. I have so many files in my homeschooling folder on my hard drive with your name in the title, it's a little scary. LOL.

I may go ahead and take your suggestion about having people post here, even it makes it more difficult to tally all the responses. I love how Google Forms will automatically dump everything into a spreadsheet for me, but I don't love how choosing that option requires e-mail address collection. That's why the poll has an "opt-in" check box, so we don't contact people who don't want to hear from us.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Giving my answer here:

Spiral bound -- it lays flat, it can fold so it's just the size of an 8.5"x11" stack of pages, and is sturdier than comb-binding. Of the choices on your website, I guess the hard cover/conceal wire would be my next choice. It's just that the hard cover takes us more room on a shelf, and hard to fold it back on itself to reduce size will using it. (Which is why I like spiral bound.)

2nd everything she said. 

Regular spiral really is the best in my opinion because of everything she said. 

Also, I don't want to vote if I need to give an email. 

12 hours ago, lulalu said:

2nd everything she said. 

Regular spiral really is the best in my opinion because of everything she said. 

Also, I don't want to vote if I need to give an email. 

Consider your vote counted. 👍

Spiral definitely has some pros, but it has certain cons that are leading us to rule it out for now.

1.) Durability. The books are meant to be used from year to year, and spiral softcover books in my world are pretty beat up after a couple of years. (I worry about Wire-O and three-ring for this same reason.)

2.) Spine. Spiral-bound books can be frustrating to keep on a shelf, as can three-ring binders. The larger printers that service self-publishers won't do spiral or comb bind because there's no spine you can read on a bookstore shelf. Not that many of us shop in physical bookstores anymore. ::shrug::

If we had our way, we'd offer the book in every binding we could think of. For now, we get to pick one for each book.