Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Seasider too

Mail sit time again?

I have a 3 day rotation system set up in the garage for mail before opening it. That's fine for bills, but we are starting to receive some of those sweet hand written letters of encouragement. Someone please remind me what's the absolute minimum amount of time I need to let paper/cardboard deliveries sit?

I'm sure the info is here somewhere but I imagine it's buried in that humongous thread.

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I am doing a minimum of 24 hours to be safe.  

This is what we are doing here.

• Like 1

Cardboard for 24 hours. But if there's tape on there, I let it sit for 72 hours... but you can always wipe down the tape.

• Like 2

24 hours for paper/cardboard. Stuff packaged in plastic-y stuff either sits longer, gets wiped down, or gets the treatment, below. (Usually, it sits for 24 hrs & then gets the treatment below.)

If you really want to get to it sooner, you can open up wearing gloves, throw away the envelopes (while letting the contents slide out into a clean surface), remove the gloves, wash hands, & read.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

24 hours for paper/cardboard. Stuff packaged in plastic-y stuff either sits longer, gets wiped down, or gets the treatment, below. (Usually, it sits for 24 hrs & then gets the treatment below.)

If you really want to get to it sooner, you can open up wearing gloves, throw away the envelopes (while letting the contents slide out into a clean surface), remove the gloves, wash hands, & read.

I do a lot of this too LoL.  

I have 3 days worth of mail lined up in a row in my garage.  I have a paper recycle bag out there too.  Mine typically sits for at least 2 days, but sometimes 3.  Definitely for 24 hours.  My packages sit at least 72 hours unless there is something perishable in there.  The last of my Easter candy is coming soon and I will open that and wipe down all the candy wrappers right away.

I have a few paper mailers that have plastic items in them (ex. DVD).  Those are sitting 3 days and then I will still wipe down the plastic cover when I take it out of the mailer.  

For me, inside our home is our safe place at the moment.  We are very careful not to bring anything in the house that makes it less safe.  But...we are fortunate to able to do that since DH works from home full time.

• Like 1

I sanitize our mailbox every day while picking up mail, just a quick spray with bleach and wipe. Keep it in the garage overnight and lightly spray with bleach. Then sit it out in the sun or one of the UV thingies. Overkill ? Perhaps. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

• Like 2