Menu

Are you cancelling your summer travel plans?

mommyoffive

Dd19's summer program (July) in Berlin was just cancelled - I had figured it would be, but were waiting for them to do it.  Still have to cancel plane tickets (we bought cancel-for-any-reason insurance) and some hostel reservations (refundable) she'd made when she thought she'd bum around Europe (France, Spain, and Italy! - nope!) afterwards.

Her program has offered her to be able to switch her deposit to a 'virtual internship' with an international company.  I think we'll do that - this is her last summer to do something like that before graduating, and even though it irks me to pay for an internship (they give credit, but I don't think her university will accept it), rather than to get paid for one, the chances of her finding any other relevant work experience this summer, either for pay or even for free, is pretty much nil.  And it will keep her occupied while she's hunkering with us.  So I hope it works out.  They're suggesting she work with a company in Sydney.

Dh is getting a ton of stuff cancelled for his volunteer work - competitions and conferences.  We hadn't made any vacation plans, and at this point are planning on hunkering through the summer at least...

We have a cross-country road trip scheduled for most of September and October. The plan is to stay at KOAs, a few Airbnb’s, and with family. All our reservations are made. Our sightseeing plans included national parks, beaches, amusement parks, canoeing, biking, kayaking, and a couple of museums. We’re still planning on going on that trip at this point. We’ll be mostly outside. In November we’re planning to go to VA for a family reunion. Still planning on that too. We are hopeful that the US and the rest of the world will get a handle on this virus in the next few months. Maybe not to the point of a vaccine but a decent number of people who have had it and are immune and good treatment options. If that doesn’t happen then I guess we’ll have to re-evaluate. 

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, I am so sorry you are stuck there right.  Such a hard place to be in, trying to figure out if you should go home or not.  Stay safe. 

I am beginning to feel like I am on Gilligan's Island--started out on a very short trip (daughter is starting grad school here; and I packed my suitcase full of things for her) which has turned into a much longer trip stranded in a beautiful paradise without all of my usual luxuries.  DD had a bed, two chairs, and a table in her new apartment.  I packed wool socks and ski pants--and now spring is here.  But the good news is the store here is full of toilet paper!

• Like 2

My dh's family always goes to FL every year and they plan (planned?) to go at the end of May. We were going to drive down and see them and then see my brother in south Florida. I am 100% this is now off. At least, there is no way I will go to FL in late May.  I am not sure how my in-laws will feel about going--they have already paid for the rental. I am not sure how that works. Anyway, we hadn't rented anything yet, which is fortunate. 

I guess this is a spin-off, but has anyone given thought to what they will use that "freed" vacation time for now that they can't travel?  

We're in a holding pattern. DS has a lot of summer baseball that we still hope will happen. Our July trip to my mom's is probably still a go. Church family camp in early July I imagine will be canceled. My husband will probably still go on his annual bike trip. But everything is held with an open hand.

• Like 1

Dd is supposed to be in Ireland all summer. The summer run of the show she is doing has not been cancelled yet so we are waiting. It depends on tourism and if people aren't traveling and/or don't have money.... 

If she goes, I will go over with her for at least a couple months.

Neither of us has booked tickets yet.

9 hours ago, Pen said:

We had no “travel” plans, but have cancelled any non Stay Home except for essentials plans. 

Yes.  I think it could l be months before I am allowed to travel anywhere but the supermarket or the pharmacy.  I am hoping for a return to stage 3 at some point (schools and restaurants closed, WFH strongly encouraged but some shops open, some people able to work in non essential and non contact takeaways open.  I hope to be allowed to drive the 1.5 hours to my mother's at some point before the end of the year.

I haven’t canceled any plans, but for us to have any other plans this early, besides the summer camp we help with and have for 12 years, would be out of character. The summer camp (July) is Watching the situation and holding off making definite statements. 

Im just not making any plans at this point.

I have no idea when I will travel again. My dad is wanting me to visit in September, and also wants to make some plans to visit Germany next year. I can't commit to any of that. Maaaaaybe, we can drive to see him in September, but that's 5 months from now and I can't promise anything.  I'm not making any plans to visit Germany next year, but I'm letting my dad day-dream, because I think he needs something to look forward to. 

12 hours ago, Penguin said:

Our planned trip was for Europe in May. That is canceled. I will have a year to use the airline  travel voucher.

We normally stay with my mom for a summer vacation. She lives at the beach in NC. That might still happen.

We had expensive concert tickets to a show in DC late July but the tour has been postponed.

I also had booked a flight to Europe for late May. Haven't cancelled yet because I read somewhere if the airline has to cancel, they will refund money. I would not mind a voucher to redeem at a later date.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I also had booked a flight to Europe for late May. Haven't cancelled yet because I read somewhere if the airline has to cancel, they will refund money. I would not mind a voucher to redeem at a later date.

I have not yet canceled my flight, either. But I am fine with a voucher. My son lives there and we were going to visit him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Put me in your mailing list for 2021. We want to go to Maine to see friends and maybe we can be part of your lodge for a bit.   

I was thinking the same thing.  @Harpymom I love Maine!  We haven't been since our oldest was about 19 or 20.  She's 31 now.  It's time for another trip.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 3

My sister was supposed to come here for her 60th and my other sister (lives near me), my aunt, and my birthday sister were going to go on a spa weekend.  That was in May.  We hadn't even gotten to booking anything yet, so nothing lost.

But, we have my daughter's wedding in mid-July and our big family vaca in Aug.   Still crossing my fingers that we will have both.  

21 hours ago, Harpymom said:

Well, I'm sort of on the other side of this - we are cancelling other people's summer plans!  Dh and I own and operate a seasonal lodging business in a resort town that abuts Acadia National Park.  We've spent the last week using actual game theory on how to approach this coming season.  Most of the innkeepers are getting wholesale cancellations, and we've just cancelled the few bookings we had for May.  We both realize that there is no realistic way to sanitize each room every day without tracking DNA between guest rooms, common areas, and kitchen.  I'm planning with the assumptions (that I've formulated from reading the data culled in the big thread, primarily) that the virus will be leveling out in this country mid-summer but the vaccine is maybe early next year.  Knowing that other parts of the world are still ramping up and that any travel at all will continue the spread, we don't see that even waiting to welcome guests in October will be really safe.  Every seasonal business in town is flipping the heck out and frantically applying for disaster loans.  

Couple this outlook with the fact that many people will still be unemployed and/or have lost their retirement and other investments, I would predict that you will find fabulous deals for travel to New England in October, but I would suggest you wait until next year to feel safe.

I'd love to be on your wait list, too!  We go to Maine every fall to visit our dd.  (In fact, seriously, if you want to PM me a link to your place, I'll look it up next time we head that way!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our city just announced this morning that it's closing all beaches and recreational activities throughout the entire summer.  Wow.   Also, we have a lot of theaters and concert halls here, and I noticed last week that their billboards were advertising shows no sooner than November...

• Like 1

We are not sure if DD can come home when this semester ends early in May (she is still in her dorm, Sheltering-in-Place).  The airports here in Colombia were closed to international flights and also to the vast majority of domestic flights, approximately 2 weeks ago. I think the decree was for a 30 day closure. However, if the government decides it is necessary, they can and will extend the closure.

So, DD doesn't have reservations to come here, at this time, and won't unless and until we are pretty confident the airports will be open to International flights, and the quarantines, and that she will be able to return to the USA in August, without being in quarantine, etc.

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

Our city just announced this morning that it's closing all beaches and recreational activities throughout the entire summer.  Wow.   Also, we have a lot of theaters and concert halls here, and I noticed last week that their billboards were advertising shows no sooner than November...

HOLY COW.   What state are you in? 

• Like 1

Dd is supposed to be a first year camp counselor at the camp she has always attended. She is SO excited!
I figure it will be closed this summer but don’t have the heart to break it to her yet. 💔  will wait until they make it official

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 2

We’re taking a wait and see approach. None of our current travel plans for the summer involve flying, so that gives more time flexibility to make a decision. And with flights as cheap as they are to some destinations, and low/no rebooking fees, I’m almost inclined to gamble and book a cheap flight. Ive seen flights on mainline carries (I.e. not Spirit) for as low as $49. Worst case scenario if we’re not refunded we would be out $150.

Edited by Daniel Hardy
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Everything's canceled until there's a vaccine (or we happily find out we all have already had it and have miraculously survived with immunity to boot). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Girl Scouts will cancel summer camps. This was the first year we signed DD up for two. Cancel or not, she's not going. I guess we'll eat the cost, if we have to.

11 hours ago, J-rap said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little premature? By August (maybe even before) restrictions could lift if things are going in the right direction. I know they can always reopen but by then they will have lost those who are still in the planning stages once we dare to plan again. Sad. I am just thinking of all the small businesses, B & Bs, cafes, restaurants that will go belly up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little premature? By August (maybe even before) restrictions could lift if things are going in the right direction. I know they can always reopen but by then they will have lost those who are still in the planning stages once we dare to plan again. Sad. I am just thinking of all the small businesses, B & Bs, cafes, restaurants that will go belly up.

I thought the same thing.  It seems like they could have at least worded it:  "Closed till further notice."

• Like 1

We are still hoping to fly to Texas to visit family this summer (from Brussels). We also have a house we need to start renovations on that is supposed to be our retirement home. It feels good to have a plan even though it might get cancelled like our March trip. I hope that my mom who lives in a senior living center can have visitors by then or maybe we can just wave at her from the street. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daniel Hardy said:

We’re taking a wait and see approach. None of our current travel plans for the summer involve flying, so that gives more time flexibility to make a decision. And with flights as cheap as they are to some destinations, and low/no rebooking fees, I’m almost enclosed to gamble and book a cheap flight. Ive seen flights on mainline carries (I.e. not Spirit) for as low as $49. Worst case scenario if we’re not refunded we would be out $150.

RE: SPIRIT AIRLINES

If you  will investigate the company (information is easily accessible on the web) you may be surprised to learn that of the largest airlines in the USA (9 or 11 airlines approximately) SPIRIT AIRLINES is in the best financial position. A month or so ago, I read that they had approximately one billion dollars of cash on hand. They are extremely successful. Not perfect, but improving.  If possible, pay extra for the "Big Front Seats".   DD went from our home airport (Cali, Colombia) to Fort Lauderdale and then to Raleigh-Durham with no issues. I was extremely impressed with the large number of people they had  working on the ticket counter, to help the passengers that morning. Extremely efficient. I think we had to pay about $28.08 USD because the luggage DD had was overweight, which I thought was reasonable.

This morning, in my Google feed on my phone, there was a story about United Airlines (what you are grouping into "Mainline carriers") announced last night that they have cancelled approximately 80% of flights that were scheduled for April 2020 (today is 04 April 2020) and also that they expect during May 2020 they will cancel approximately 90% of their flights.  Very sad.  I suspect United and American and Delta and a bunch of other U.S. Flag carriers will apply for U.S. Government Stimulus/Rescue aid very soon if they haven't already done that.

At this time, my impression is that if someone went somewhere in the USA or here in Colombia, or other countries, as a Tourist, there wouldn't be much if anything to do, because so many things are closed and  many places like Colombia have severe restrictions so most people here are Sheltering in Place.

The worst peak of the Covid-19 Coronavirus issues IMO is going to be approximately June 2020. At this time, I think our DD will continue to "Shelter in Place" in UNC and we will do the same in our home in Cali, Colombia. There is IMO a big risk of getting stuck because airports are closed or there are no flights or there is a mandatory quarantine if one travels at this time.

Colombian airports are closed to all International flights, but I believe there are a small percentage of Domestic flights that are allowed to operate.  When those restrictions end will depend upon the Covid-19 situation in other countries.

SPIRIT AIRLINES has begun to operate occasional "Humanitarian" flights from Colombia to the USA. First, the State Department tried United Airlines for one flight (Bogota to Houston) but that was cancelled and then ICE and Military aircraft, flights, and those were cancelled, but then they got SPIRIT AIRLINES and they seem to be successful operating  flights from different airports in Colombia (mostly from Bogota, the largest city) up to the USA, for the Department of State. I believe most if not all of the passengers are people who came here as Tourists and want to return to the USA.

We wanted to go to Disney World this summer, but had made no definite plans.  We were planning on driving there, possibly renting a van for the trip.  

Now we should probably save that money for living expenses, and also we don't know if Disney World will be open.  The economy would need to seem like it was doing well for us to go, though.  It's a long story but basically my husband has full pay through the month of July, and then one or both of us would be looking for work, and it seems like it's likely to be a lot harder for us if there is going to be a recession and we can no longer take for granted getting certain kinds of jobs.  (Edit:  he will be a military retiree and we "can" make it on his pension, but we definitely were never planning on it, and at this point we are planning to make our savings last as long as possible to supplement our living expenses, in case we can't find other jobs to supplement his pension.  It is very, very tight on just his pension, it is never what we have planned.  At the same time -- we are definitely very fortunate!)  

Edited by Lecka