Menu

What's with the ads?

easypeasy

2021 Admissions Suspending SAT/ACT Scores - Homeschoolers?

It seems many schools are suspending their SAT/ACT requirements for admission. DS has received many emails and letters stating that "GPA > ACT."  And yet, we all know it's different for homeschoolers. A lot of universities require homeschoolers to send in SATIIs, which DS is not going to now have time to take before admission deadlines next year.

Has anyone yet seen information for homeschoolers specifically from any of these schools that are suspending their testing requirements for next year? I want to email and ask but know these places are being inundated with questions from current seniors and don't want to bug them... but... DS is spending a LOT of his time right now prepping for SATIIs. If he isn't going to need them... then...

What other schools have you seen that have stated they are not going to require test scores for next year's seniors? I'll go make a list of those I know of and list them here later.

Edited by easypeasy

I would ask email the schools that are requiring SAT subject tests. That's a very specific question and you could even mention that MIT is no longer accepting them, so you want to make sure they are not considering a similar move in light of all the testing cancellations, etc...

Dd is probably going to take the Math 2 Subject test because that's mostly mastery based and she can take it in August if needed. We're dropping the Biology one and going for CLEP instead. That one would require retaining a lot of memorization.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

They really need to add testing dates in August to accommodate all the kids who couldn’t take it now. I don’t see them doing it yet. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, easypeasy said:

.... A lot of universities require homeschoolers to send in SATIIs...

Actually, not very many require SAT Subject tests, even from homeschoolers. Check out this "Complete List of Colleges That Require SAT Subject Tests" -- it's only about 80 schools -- and these are all the schools that recommend or require SAT Subject tests -- so even a number of schools on this list don't require SAT Subject tests. 😉

As Mama Sprout says above, the fastest way to go about it is to contact the handful of schools you're interested in applying to, and ask what their specific SAT II policy is -- especially in light of testing cancellations due to the coronavirus. Maybe wait until the summer, after colleges have gotten through the worst of the inundation of calls about the current semester. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

They really need to add testing dates in August to accommodate all the kids who couldn’t take it now. I don’t see them doing it yet. 

This is true. Yet another reason to just do the Math 2. She'll still be doing math pretty much forever, so it would only be a quick review to come back up to speed.

Most of the schools my dd applied to did not seem to differentiate between homeschooled students and public school students except that most wanted an SAT or an ACT score even if they were a test-optional school. Other than that, I felt as though they took my dd's applications at face value and didn't expect anything more or less of her. 

That being said, the school she will be attending did have a lot of extra hoops for homeschooled students, including SAT subject test scores. I think that is pretty unusual these days, though. 

• Like 2