Menu

Advice for Physics 12th grade

Ds planned to take physics dual enrollment next year at the community college, but they don't have any classes that will work with our schedule and location.  What do you think is the best option for an online class (live or asynchronous)?  He might be interested in AP but hasn't had any calculus yet.  He plans to major in Computer Science.

Previous math and science background:

Physical science, Chemistry, Biology

Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, College Algebra, Trigonometry

He will be taking Pre-Calculus Fall 2020 at local community college and plans to take Calculus 1 Spring 2021

Just a comment on AP (which you may already know):

AP Physics 1+2 are algebra based, but won't get any college credit that applies towards a comp sci major, since they need a calculus based physics class. However, an AP physics 1 +2 class is a great preparation for the calc based physics he will take at college.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, regentrude said:

AP Physics 1+2 are algebra based, but won't get any college credit that applies towards a comp sci major, since they need a calculus based physics class. However, an AP physics 1 +2 class is a great preparation for the calc based physics he will take at college.

Thank you for the tip!  I didn't know that.

16 hours ago, regentrude said:

Hmm, so one could take the class but not have to deal with the craziness of signing up for and taking the actual exam. Win-win.

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Hmm, so one could take the class but not have to deal with the craziness of signing up for and taking the actual exam. Win-win.

yes, absolutely. For a student wanting to go into comp sci, math, chem, engineering, or physics, I'd skip the exam.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

43 minutes ago, regentrude said:

yes, absolutely. For a student wanting to go into comp sci, math, chem, engineering, or physics, I'd skip the exam.

But, since it is algebra-based Physics, wouldn't having an exam score help back up the grade with admissions?  My kids took AP exams, not so much to get college credit, but to bolster the strength of the transcript.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

But, since it is algebra-based Physics, wouldn't having an exam score help back up the grade with admissions?  My kids took AP exams, not so much to get college credit, but to bolster the strength of the transcript.  

If the student is applying to a highly selective school, maybe. But many of those require subject SAT scores anyway.

Also, if it's a senior, the exam score won't be available until after the admissions decision has been made, since AP exams are in May

Edited by regentrude