Menu

News: UC's response on admissions to COVID-19

@AEC@Roadrunner@mirabillis

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/response-covid-19.html

My family’s financial situation has changed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Can I be considered for additional aid?

The University understands that families’ financial circumstances may have changed or may change in the coming months. If that’s your situation, please visit the campus financial aid office website. Many have financial aid calculators that can help you determine whether recent changes to your income could increase your financial aid package. Campus financial aid websites also have contact information, including the best way to reach the financial aid office during remote operations for further assistance.

UC campuses will work with families over the summer to review their eligibility for financial aid.

How will Pass/No Pass (Credit/No Credit) grading in spring 2020 affect my admission application to UC?

UC has temporarily suspended the letter grade requirement for A-G courses completed in spring 2020 for all students, including UC’s most recently admitted freshmen. A-G courses completed in spring 2020 with Pass (P) or Credit (CR) grades will satisfy appropriate A-G requirements.

I am a current high school student. How will Pass/No Pass (Credit/No Credit) grades impact my ability to be eligible and competitive for UC in the future?

The temporary suspension of the letter grade requirement for A-G courses applies to all A-G coursework completed in spring and summer 2020, including coursework completed by students currently in 9th, 10th, and 11th grades.

The Pass or Credit grade in spring and summer 2020 will continue to meet A-G requirements for any student currently enrolled in high school during the 2019-20 academic year.

How will UC calculate my GPA if I receive Pass/No Pass (Credit/No Credit) grades in A-G courses?

Pass (P) or Credit (CR) grades will meet A-G subject requirements but will not be calculated in the GPA. UC will continue to calculate the GPA for admission purposes using all A-G courses passed with letter grades in grades 10 and 11, including summer terms following grades 9, 10 and 11. Extra points in honors-level coursework will continue to be capped at 8 semesters of honors points in A-G courses completed with letter grades of A, B and C in grades 10 and 11.”

press release link https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-eases-admissions-requirements-help-students-families-wake-covid-19

“In response, the Regents approved a series of critical, short-term measures:

• Suspending the letter grade requirement for A-G courses completed in winter/spring/summer 2020 for all students, including UC’s most recently admitted freshmen.
  • Suspending the standardized test requirement for students applying for fall 2021 freshman admission.
  • Providing that there will be no rescission of student admissions offers that result from students or schools missing official final transcript deadlines, and student retention of admission status through the first day of class until official documents are received by campuses.
  • For transfer students, temporarily suspending the cap on the number of transferable units with “pass/no pass” grading applied toward the minimum 60 semester/90 quarter units required for junior standing.

In addition to the University’s actions, the College Board recently announced changes to Advanced Placement (AP) exam content and formats for spring 2020. UC recognizes the effort that students have already applied in these challenging courses and will award UC credit for 2020 AP exams completed with scores of 3, 4 or 5, consistent with previous years. 

“The goal of these changes is to ensure a fair process that does not affect the life chances of students who, but for the coronavirus pandemic, would have become full-time students at the University of California,” said Kum-Kum Bhavnani, chair of the Academic Senate. The Senate exercises direct control over academic matters of central importance to UC and made the admissions recommendations to the Regents.

UC requests submission of final transcripts by July 1. If schools are unable or unsure about their ability to issue transcripts by this date, they may notify UC at AskUC@ucop.edu and include a date when transcripts are expected to be available.”

• Like 1