Menu

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I am having such a difficult time with this.  ANd get so furious too- we should have been making masks, not simply ventilators.  All I hear about our people making face shields and ventilators but what we really need is N95 or I will take N93 masks.  Because I am not concerned about infecting others- today was the first day I have been out in a month so I know I am not an asymptomatic carrier.  I am much more concerned about getting it since I am basically triple high risk.  And my dh is high risk too. And my dd2 is high risk also.  

My specific problems are many,  First,  my old Bernina Bernette 740E needs a re-tuning and also the automatic threader isn't aligned correctly and doesn't work.  My vision is poor and threading is very hard for me.  I also cannot feel things as well as normal people because I have neuropathy so I can;t feel which is the rounder part or the flat part of the needle.  Then I try to see it and have a really hard time with that.  Another issue is my 2 year old Brother machine, which is a lot easier to use because it does not need re-tuning and automatic needle threader does work, has a lost needle holder screw which I ordered two day ago. 

And I am have very bad spatial skills and trying to translate written words to spatial concepts is even harder. \

I have medical appointments today so I may just not work on it today.  I do have one N95 mask so I will use that.

Since the machine issues and seeing and such aren’t going well, could you just buy some masks off Etsy?  Or maybe one of the ladies here can make some for you? I agree wearing the mask you haven’t isn’t a terrible idea, but if you don’t want to constantly use the same one I’d suggest just buying some from another person, it’s okay 🙂

• Like 1
  • Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday we set up a table to give away masks at the end of our driveway.  We ended up giving away about a hundred.

I don't know if they were the "best" mask pattern, but I'll send the last of 500 of them to dd's ship tomorrow. She sent me a text today, "Airman took 180 to the other barracks". I'm done. At least fo

My 10 year old, who had never touched a sewing machine before yesterday, just made two of these!!!! Modified CraftPassion mask, with pocket. But instead of the bias tape nose wire sleeve we just put a

Posted Images

Ok, so I tried the one I linked last night, with modifications. Super easy and fast, even with my mods. Basically instead of sewing in the elastic and doing pleats I folded it right side out, and folded the sides over twice to make channels for the elastic/ties, and then gathered it to adjust the fit on my face. Because I hate sewing pleats and don't have a walking foot. I also top stitched an area along the top to hold a nose wire. 

My only problem is that, as I feared, the opening is right there, and you'd be breathing through it, so you absolutely need a filter in there. so...leave as is and add filter, OR adjust it so that instead of folding the ends to the middle, so that the opening is in the middle, you make the opening right near the bottom, so below the mouth? Would that work you think? I'd just try it, but fabric stash is dwindling and I hate to waste any. (still can't buy thread here either!)

(please ignore my "quarantine hair - don't care" look, lol. 

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_9741.JPG

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Your hair is actually really cute!

Well, thank you. Personally I think it needs a visit with a hairdresser (not likely any time soon) and a flat iron(was lazy, lol). I'm about to order some thinning shears to try to DIY something in the meantime. 

Just now, Ktgrok said:

Well, thank you. Personally I think it needs a visit with a hairdresser (not likely any time soon) and a flat iron(was lazy, lol). I'm about to order some thinning shears to try to DIY something in the meantime. 

You are braver than I am, though my fingers are twitching to cut some bangs. My cowlicks have just gotten crazy the past few years and any DIY here will end in certain disaster. 

4 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

You are braver than I am, though my fingers are twitching to cut some bangs. My cowlicks have just gotten crazy the past few years and any DIY here will end in certain disaster. 

Well, it's a pixie, so I figure worst case I give myself a buzz cut and let it grow back out, lol. I may have DH do it though - he's better with dexterity stuff, and following instructions. There must be a video somewhere on how to do it. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, so I tried the one I linked last night, with modifications. Super easy and fast, even with my mods. Basically instead of sewing in the elastic and doing pleats I folded it right side out, and folded the sides over twice to make channels for the elastic/ties, and then gathered it to adjust the fit on my face. Because I hate sewing pleats and don't have a walking foot. I also top stitched an area along the top to hold a nose wire. 

My only problem is that, as I feared, the opening is right there, and you'd be breathing through it, so you absolutely need a filter in there. so...leave as is and add filter, OR adjust it so that instead of folding the ends to the middle, so that the opening is in the middle, you make the opening right near the bottom, so below the mouth? Would that work you think? I'd just try it, but fabric stash is dwindling and I hate to waste any. (still can't buy thread here either!)

(please ignore my "quarantine hair - don't care" look, lol. 

I am going to try some just like this today, but with the opening about an inch from the bottom. I basically want to make inserting filters easy-peasy.  I was not happy with fiddling with filter inserts via the small side openings in the fitted craftpassion masks, and though my 15 yo had no problem with it I expect my mom would struggle. Otherwise I like the fit of them. I made one using her modification of add-on bias strips for the nose wire, but I think enclosing it in some top-stitching like you did on your mask is simpler.

I have experimented with prototypes of various masks using old clothes that were headed for donation, and old linens, like cloth napkins and sheets, etc which has helped extend the fabric stash. I am also saving on thread now by making masks in batches and feeding pieces through the machine one after another without stopping to cut the threads in between each one.  That way I am just trimming an inch or so of thread when I separate them.

Ok, made it with the opening about an inch from the bottom and that worked great! Super fast. I like the fit/look of the craftpassion one better, this one is a bit bulkier, but it is one size, and takes literally less than 5 minutes to make. So, score! Definitely my go to option for donations. 

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Honestly, I just held fabric up to my face and tried to breathe through it. Lol.

I’ve done that too! 😄

• Haha 1

I made a plastic face shield—after several tries, finally found an easy peasy approach.

I took a sun visor type hat, turned it upside down to give stapling room, and stapled a plastic report cover (which I cut with an inch or so extra bit past the fold to also make the stapling easy) to the forehead area.

Had I a bigger reach on stapler, maybe it could even have been right side up) 

image.jpg

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

IMG_9741.JPG

I made one from a pattern with a similar pocket,  But the pocket was at the top just under the nose wire: https://www.gfclinic.com/approved-pattern-info-for-homemade-masks/

4 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Well, it's a pixie, so I figure worst case I give myself a buzz cut and let it grow back out, lol. I may have DH do it though - he's better with dexterity stuff, and following instructions. There must be a video somewhere on how to do it. 

I saw a video for this just this morning: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/buzz-cuts-how-to-at-home-style-history/index.html

4 hours ago, slackermom said:

sheetsI am also saving on thread now by making masks in batches and feeding pieces through the machine one after another without stopping to cut the threads in between each one.  That way I am just trimming an inch or so of thread when I separate them.

So smart! Thanks for the tip!

For those of you already using your masks, what is your household routine? 

Where does the mask go when the person comes home?

How are you washing them? Machine? Hand? Lingerie bags? Everyone's mask together or does an individual's mask stay with that individual's laundry? A load with only masks?

High heat dryer? Yes or no?

Where do you store the clean masks? I am planning to keep mine in a small box with a lid that will hold nothing but my own masks.

So far, I have made only two prototypes so this is still somewhat theoretical here. DH wore one of the prototypes to go running yesterday and then I wasn't sure what to do with the mask when he came back. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Penguin said:

How are you washing them? Machine? Hand? Lingerie bags? Everyone's mask together or does an individual's mask stay with that individual's laundry? A load with only masks?

Where do you store the clean masks? I am planning to keep mine in a small box with a lid that will hold nothing but my own masks.

So far, I have made only two prototypes so this is still somewhat theoretical here. DH wore one of the prototypes to go running yesterday and then I wasn't sure what to do with the mask when he came back. 

I have so far only used mask for CV19 in situations when I have been in my vehicle.  

Definitely not perfect system, but I have a plastic bag and a mesh laundry bag in  vehicle.  Used washing machine suitable masks and used washing machine suitable gloves (and also hair cover hats though now it’s getting too hot for that)  go in mesh bag inside of plastic bag.  Non washable go in plastic bag (non washable gloves get hand sanitizer rubbed all over them before I take them off, and then my hands get sanitized. Etc. Not perfect, but better than nothing and improving as I practice.)  So my 45ish minute drive home is without mask or gloves on.  Since I am only going into public twice per month, I don’t have a lot of masks at least not yet—(only one fabric prototype). 

I have no reason to think there’s worse virus on masks etc than on my clothing.  And I wash the outside world clothes all together high heat and dryer.  Though today I may have on clothes that can’t take high heat. 

Right now I am the only one who goes for essentials so haven’t had to deal with multiple people’s masks. 

Haven’t figured out good spot for cleaned ones yet and am in a “oh no, where is my mask!” phase right now as I prepare to go out. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Penguin said:

We’re not a model by any stretch. DHs masks go immediately into the wash with the rest of his outside clothes. Mine go into the laundry bucket. We high heat dry everything. Clean masks are left in a pile in our room. So far, DH and I are the only ones going out. I juuuust made a lingerie bag for DH and myself last night. He needs it for his ship laundry.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Thanks 1
On 4/16/2020 at 12:22 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Since the machine issues and seeing and such aren’t going well, could you just buy some masks off Etsy?  Or maybe one of the ladies here can make some for you? I agree wearing the mask you haven’t isn’t a terrible idea, but if you don’t want to constantly use the same one I’d suggest just buying some from another person, it’s okay 🙂

Unfortunately, I can't figure out who is reliable (see the other thread about a few posters not getting theres and the Jean in Newcastle recommended one who is now sold out.

My dh will be helping me figure it out later this afternoon. He has a lot of sewing experience too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This thread has been so useful as I am making masks again.  I kept having to page through multi pages and just went through and copy and pasted some of the posts that I find the most helpful into a file on my computer.  Just want to tell everyone thank you!

Todays masks.......double layer to put in a bag and leave in the car.

3F3F2B51-522B-4036-80CF-B703D7DC74A8.jpeg

• Like 5

For the record and not bragging:  I got my pattern off the internet.  My neighbor had 4 different models of masks delivered to her and she said that mine fit the best and were most comfortable for long-duration wear.  

I mention it only in the interests of making masks people like to wear.  

She also said her masks sent to family members were stolen.  The mail was slit open and masks but not letters removed.  

Edited by Patty Joanna
autocorrect/bad typing on phone corrected
  • Sad 5
5 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

For the record and not bragging:  I got my pattern off the internet and sllll.  My. Wighbor had 4 different models of masks delivered to her and she said that mine fit the best snd were most comfortable for long-duration wear.  

i mention it only in the interests of making make peple like to wear.  

and she Also said her masks sent to family members were stolen.  The mail was slit open and masks but not letters removed.  

Ugh. 

I have not heard back about my inquiry into the missing package of masks I sent, that my DD10 made. So upset. Remaking them, but won't get them into the mail until this afternoon or tomorrow. 

• Sad 2

The one package of two masks that I sent to my SIL (VA to NY!) with regular stamps was WOEFULLY tardy (by ~ three weeks). Every package that I sent though Stamps.com or PayPal shipping that had tracking included sailed through and was received within four working days, even to Hawaii. I'm not sure if the tracking or scanning makes a difference (because they're sent through an automated process vs. being hand cancelled/scanned) but I'd try that.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

The one package of two masks that I sent to my SIL (VA to NY!) with regular stamps was WOEFULLY tardy (by ~ three weeks). Every package that I sent though Stamps.com or PayPal shipping that had tracking included sailed through and was received within four working days, even to Hawaii. I'm not sure if the tracking or scanning makes a difference (because they're sent through an automated process vs. being hand cancelled/scanned) but I'd try that.

My lost package was sent using postage I printed (with tracking) from Stamps.com. I did two packages, going to within 25 minutes of each other, a few hours away from me. One made it in two days. The other is still missing over a week later, and the tracking still shows that it was never picked up, only printed 😞

• Sad 3
5 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

For those whose ears get sore from wearing the elastics 

I was so annoyed with DH's coworker. The first mask I made him had ties to save his ears. He clipped them and tied them to make ear loops. The second one I made had the elastic ear loops he wanted. I had offered to make him a hybrid one like DH with elastic across the back. He declined. DH told him..."Here you go! My wife thinks you're an idiot but as long as you're happy!" Truer words were never spoken.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

For the record and not bragging:  I got my pattern off the internet.  My neighbor had 4 different models of masks delivered to her and she said that mine fit the best and were most comfortable for long-duration wear.  

I mention it only in the interests of making masks people like to wear.  

She also said her masks sent to family members were stolen.  The mail was slit open and masks but not letters removed.  

Would you be willing to post a link to the pattern you found, please?  There are so many options, and my fabric stash and patience for sewing are both very low.  I'd like to get it comfy the first time!  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, klmama said:

Would you be willing to post a link to the pattern you found, please?  There are so many options, and my fabric stash and patience for sewing are both very low.  I'd like to get it comfy the first time!  

Me too!

2 hours ago, klmama said:

1 hour ago, arctic_bunny said:

Me too!

OK:  here is the initial pattern. And here are the modifications I have made to it.  https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/

I sew a tiny channel in the top and then insert copper beading wire (.65mm untreated copper.  I might use a heavier copper, but nothing lighter.). This lets you shape the mask to your nose, and helps keep the glasses from fogging up.  The pleats allow for the mask to cover from mid-nose, to completely under my chin--to my ears!  I made a "deeper" model for a couple of guys with beards.  The sides fit close to my head--no gaps.  This is pretty much a one-size-fits-all--and it seems to, for adults anyway.

The elastic ears are great for short wearing but people who have to wear them all day say they wear on the ears.  (There  are ways around this which you can see in other posts.). in addition, the elastic ears made my hearing aids go flying all over the place, and these pups are not cheap, so that was not good.  Finally, there was an elastic shortage there for awhile, so I got creative.

My solution to all of the above was to use ribbons with cord locks.  If you want to see pictures for how I did this, you can look on April 1 posts in this thread.  There are colored masks and a black-and-white mask in those posts.

Note that in ALL cases, the elastic, ribbon, or ribbon loops go on the OUTSIDE of the mask--the fit is better and it feels better against your face.

The colored masks, I used 30" of ribbon, one for the top and one for the bottom of the mask, and then cord locks for each.  The lower one tightens just under the ears and the other one on top of the head.  It stays put and the pleats go completely under the chin.  The pleats also allow for expansion but with a close fit on the sides of the head.  Then I ran short of cord locks...and thought that maybe there was a way to make the ribbon replaceable, either for personal preference or to mitigate against wearing out.  That was when I made the black and white masks.

On the black-and-white masks --the 4Loops-- I sewed a folded 2" piece of ribbon to the place I would have sewn the elastic.  Then, when I sewed the side-bindings on, I sewed the ribbon loops down so the loop was on/outside the outer edge of the mask.  Then, starting on the top, I threaded 4' of ribbon from top, to bottom, to the bottom on the other side, then up through the last top loop, and put a cord lock on the two loose ends. This let me sew twice as many masks as I would have been able to because cord locks were the gating factor.  To put this mask on, the wearer pulls on the ribbon at the bottom of the mask, and puts it over their head, around the back about lower-ear level.  Then they put the mask to their face and adjust it, and then pull the top part of the ribbon and tighten the cord lock so it rests on top of their head.  This is actually the easiest one to put on and adjust.  This could be done without cord locks; the ribbon could just be tied.  The cord locks make it fast and easy to adjust though.

I tried 3' of ribbon instead of 4' but it made it a bit of a tight fit, and ribbon is cheap.  So I went back to 4'. 

I myself have one elastic ears mask that I wear when I go out without my hearing aids, and a ribbon one for wearing with hearing aids or for more than an hour.  It really is a lot more comfortable for extended wear.  

I tried the mask without the wire, but my neighbor said she had a strong preference for the wire, and so do I, to tell the truth.  It makes it a lot better with glasses.  

I have not done a filter pocket with this mask. 

The website where I got the pattern has a different pattern now, one that is less labor intensive (this one does take some time!) and has a pocket for a filter, and you can find patterns all over the place. I'm just telling about this one because I have had many people tell me that it is the one they wear the most because it is the most comfortable.  When I was at the grocery store today, I looked at masks people were wearing--lots of different kinds--but a lot of them were barely covering the mouth-and-nose, and several had big gaps on the sides.  One lady was wearing hers tied around her neck but dangling on her bosom--she couldn't tie the ties on top of her head, I guess.  But it's not really all that helpful, is it?

On a lark, I took a ribbon mask to the guy who sells the bottled water and he was so thankful because he was actually raw behind his ears from the elastic-ears mask he had to wear all day.  The one I took him was not quite as masculine in fabric, but he didn't care!!   I figure if people are more comfortable wearing the mask, they will be more likely to do so.  

And that's that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s interesting that my son simply wants fun masks.......so PINK flamingos and other color combos I thought he would reject  because they are girly he keeps picking.  Mask fashion is apparently much deferent than T-shirt or other big guy selections ....,..,,,shrug.   No problem except I get stuck with what I thought he would chose when I have been dumb enough to offer choice........I know how to make myself new ones but need to pick new fabric because he keeps closing the one I had picked for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 4/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, Penguin said:

This is what I do:

I keep a few clean masks in my bedroom on my bed headboard (it’s like a little shelf). Since I’m never leaving the house in an unplanned way, this is fine for the moment. I don’t want mine downstairs because my dining room has become mask production sweatshop and I don’t want to accidentally send off my own. I also take a couple extras in the car with me if I go out, in case something happened and I thought it was contaminated for real (like if someone sneezed near me, say). I also bring a baggie stuffed in my pocket in case I have to remove the mask while out. (Also a little hand sanitizer on a loop.) 

When I come home from grocery shopping, I wash my hands, carefully untie the mask, put it in a bag and put the bag in my closet hamper. I have a small hamper there for things like dirty sweat-jackets and such. 

Dh keeps his masks in his work truck. I don’t like the way he manages his own mask because he’s very willy-nilly about it. 😑 But -oh well - that’s one of the things I cannot control and so let go of. 

I wash masks in laundry bags with other clothes or towels that can stand hot water. I use different laundry bags for different family members, and I use a separate laundry bag whenever I am laundering masks I made before packing them out. I dry in a hot dryer, but I also iron my masks. Drying in the dryer will crumple them into a ball. If I wouldn’t be able to iron them, I would hang them to dry. 

• Thanks 1

How essential is the filter? I've sewn of the pocket masks and the filter doesn't fit well into any of them. 

Also, the filter makes the mask much hotter. 

How much extra protection does the filter add? None of us are in a medical setting. 

27 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

How essential is the filter? I've sewn of the pocket masks and the filter doesn't fit well into any of them. 

How much extra protection does the filter add? None of us are in a medical setting. 

I'm sure it adds some protection but how much is anyone's guess. For the ones I made with a filter pocket, I sent a long a cutting template for anyone who wants to add an extra layer of protection. I haven't found that the Halyard 600 material adds heat tho. It's very breathable and seems to absorb the moisture from my breathing. We're not in the thick of summer yet tho and I only use one layer of it inside two layers of cotton. 

• Like 2

Looking for neutral cotton fabric or elastic?  On my last Walmart pickup, I purchased 100% cotton (not knit) crib sheets.  I chose grey for DH and DS to wear to the office.  Bonus - yards of elastic salvaged from the surrounding casing! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is this wrong of me? I just want to post some masks because they are so cute and I’m having a hard time today. So here: 

FB81D1BC-FC24-42B9-AA9A-6E78D55CBD7C.jpeg

3067CBEC-0AB1-4758-BA23-42B9203B136B.jpeg

2EB9A0EC-DD6E-4D24-B6B8-6303D9245604.jpeg

A00AE329-CFFA-41ED-B732-30506E4F543F.jpeg

• Like 14
On 4/17/2020 at 8:22 AM, stephanier.1765 said:

Anyone struggling to make one will find this hysterical. This lady is just like me sewing anything. LOL

That’s me! 😂 At least she tried the sewing machine! My eyes are killing me this morning because I tried to thread the needle on my vintage child-size machine. That’s how far I got. Right back to hand sewing. 👍

• Haha 2
On 4/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, Ordinary Shoes said:

I use one layer of blue shop towel and it doesn't seem to add much heat/difficulty in breathing. 

However, I haven't tried to fit one into the curved passioncraft mask yet. I'm also making some that are just rectangles, with a nose wire and casing for the elastic/ties/whatever, and those are easy to put a filter in. I'm switching to that style for donating, other than what I already cut. 

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Never walk into a sewing shop with a broken machine. It’s like going to the grocery store while hungry.

Yup, that was me. I only went in for a few yards of fabric and came out with a machine way above my skill grade. I don't know what I was thinking. That thing still terrifies me. 🤦‍♀️

You sure did get a beauty! I love Janomes. Good machines. I hope you have many pleasurable hours sewing with her.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Yup, that was me. I only went in for a few yards of fabric and came out with a machine way above my skill grade. I don't know what I was thinking. That thing still terrifies me. 🤦‍♀️

You sure did get a beauty! I love Janomes. Good machines. I hope you have many pleasurable hours sewing with her.

Pretty much. I had a good, solid Elna...at least 30 years old. I left her to be repaired so I can pass it down to DD. When I told him I needed something and I wanted it to be as close to operating my existing machine as possible...well...he sold me this one. He wasn't lying. The operation is about as close to my old one as you can get in a modern machine. It threads the same way too, just with a drop in bobbin. So, no regrets except the expense. After about 30 minutes of fiddling with it I was up and sewing again. I may never use the decorative embroidery stitches but I probably will use the lettering features. In my head I was thinking, "Well damn, if I'm gonna get a new machine, it better take me through the next three decades including grandkids!"

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
On 4/1/2020 at 2:41 PM, Patty Joanna said:

IMG_3668.thumb.jpeg.3e75e6fd95c003f996dc2dd9d3c6f31d.jpegIMG_3666.thumb.jpeg.93b07715fe0b8f883413711c791fdf43.jpeg

This is what I used instead of elastic.  The cord locks make it easy to tighten them "just so"...but now I am out of cord locks.  More are coming in a week, so I will just sew and sew and then put the cord locks on them.  I am using these myself, and giving them to friends.  The friends get one set of cord locks per person at this point, and two masks each.  I am using batiks which have been washed and dried in the making of the batik so they never shrink or fade.  I wash them but don't dry them; they don't get so crinkly that way.  I put pipe-cleaners in the top in a narrow pocket, but I have been told they rust, so I am using copper wire now--left over from beading days--and will move to floral wire when that is out.  I know health-care pros say not to use the wire, but I am doing this for friends and parishioners, and my experience with the wire is that it keeps my glasses from fogging up.  

what is a cord lock?  it looks like tight ribbon with a toggle button, no?  where do you order your supplies?  I think i may need to make some masks. 

Edited by sheryl
eta: beautiful masks. well done!