Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Best mask pattern?

14 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Do you think it's possible to make masks without a sewing machine?  

No Sew Mask using a bandana and 2 rubber bands. I have no idea how this would work -- or if it would work -- over an N95 mask.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Do you think it's possible to make masks without a sewing machine?  

If so, any suggestions on how?  I am hoping to make the kind that go over the N95 mask.

I have been. I posted about it here. 

2 hours ago, wathe said:

Personally, I like separate ties for lower and upper.  I tie the the tie that comes of the bottom of the mask last, and I tie it high to get a good seal at the chin.  I don't think a single tie would be as easily adjustable. 

The model I thought up with ribbon loops on the top and bottom and a single tie through the whole shebang with a cord lock on the top works GREAT, and it is fast.  That is not me talking but my friend whom I gave one of each (2 ties).  She much prefers the 4-loops/one ribbon with a cord lock model.  The OTHER thing that is good about this model is that the ribbon can be replaced at the drop of a hat.  :0) 

That said, I think I might try this model to see if it works the same as or better than mine because my model is a little fiddly.

• Like 2

I've seen the no sew masks, but I guess what I'm asking is whether I could just hand sew them.  So, they'd be sewn masks, just not made with a machine.

What are thoughts on if the inside and outside fabric need to be different? I know for medical use they want it to be different so they can wear the same side in each time, but for non medical use does it matter?

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I've seen the no sew masks, but I guess what I'm asking is whether I could just hand sew them.  So, they'd be sewn masks, just not made with a machine.

Yes! Here's an excellent tutorial (though you could just hand-sew ANY of the patterns linked in this thread, really): 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ktgrok said:

What are thoughts on if the inside and outside fabric need to be different? I know for medical use they want it to be different so they can wear the same side in each time, but for non medical use does it matter?

You know what I did?  I just put a big magic-marker X on the inside.  :0). Too much work to cut all this separate fabric.  LOL

• Like 6

I would like to order some ribbon, a bias tape maker, some spool/bobbin linky things and maybe some fabric.  

I would like to support a local business (what I mean is "not Amazon") who can mail me this stuff.

Any recommendations?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

So far out the many masks I've seen (except the fu), I'm liking how side casing close gaps. I've also seen just one long cord/bias tape/ribbon is used, so there's just a ribbon corded through the botton two casing and coming out of the top two. It's tied to in just one place but two places are secured in the back.

I just wonder how comfortable these are? Has anyone tried this? 

I’ve made a few different styles, and have settled on the one long tie being my favorite. My dh didn’t understand how to make his work initially, so it’s not as easy to figure out, but it fits well and is fast. You snug up the bottom loop that goes behind your neck first, and then pull tight at the top of your head and tie. To remove when out and in “contaminated” mode, I pull the bow out of the top tie and then reach behind my neck and pull the bottom loop to loosen, then pull the loop over my head to the front to remove without the outside of the mask front ever touching me. (That might sound more complicated than it is,) I use hand sanitizer before touching my mask to remove (and then again after). I’m all about soap and water at home, but on my rare shopping trips, hand sanitizer is my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, kand said:

I’ve made a few different styles, and have settled on the one long tie being my favorite. My dh didn’t understand how to make his work initially, so it’s not as easy to figure out, but it fits well and is fast. You snug up the bottom loop that goes behind your neck first, and then pull tight at the top of your head and tie. To remove when out and in “contaminated” mode, I pull the bow out of the top tie and then reach behind my neck and pull the bottom loop to loosen, then pull the loop over my head to the front to remove without the outside of the mask front ever touching me. (That might sound more complicated than it is,) I use hand sanitizer before touching my mask to remove (and then again after). I’m all about soap and water at home, but on my rare shopping trips, hand sanitizer is my friend. 

This is what my tester friend said.  I use cord locks so it is super fast to put on after the first try.  

PSA re elastic ears:   If the wearer has hearing aids, elastic ears are a nightmare.  I myself could not make it work.  One or the other of my four freaking thousand dollar hearing aids kept flying off.  A friend’s hearing aid thingummy was BROKEN by the elastic.  

I am making masks with elastic ears but asking about hearing aids when people request a mask.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

This is what my tester friend said.  I use cord locks so it is super fast to put on after the first try.  

Are cord locks still available anywhere? 

Also, I think this place might be localish to you? I don’t know if they have what you want, though, other than great fabric: https://www.gossypiumquilt.com/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

For myself, even non-medical use I want the fabric different (plain) on the inside. I guess I just never want even a moment’s doubt about which side was on my face and which was facing the world. At the moment, I still have a good bit of white cotton fabric, so I’m using that for all mask interiors. To make it go more quickly, I pre-cut a few linings and I have folders for women's or men’s. I keep the linings in the folder until I start making a mask.

I admit, though, the pattern I am using is a more time-consuming one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I wish I could buy some cord locks and ribbon but it looks like I was too late to use that great idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

For myself, even non-medical use I want the fabric different (plain) on the inside. I guess I just never want even a moment’s doubt about which side was on my face and which was facing the world. At the moment, I still have a good bit of white cotton fabric, so I’m using that for all mask interiors. To make it go more quickly, I pre-cut a few linings and I have folders for women's or men’s. I keep the linings in the folder until I start making a mask.

I admit, though, the pattern I am using is a more time-consuming one. 

I think you are right. And I have plenty of plain fabric. I thought about using a pattern that would have been easier to do all one fabric, but that pattern about drove me nuts last night, so I'm back to using a modified version of the craft passion one. I DID figure out a good modification by trying that other pattern, so not a total waste of time. 

I'm now using the craft passion one that has a pocket for a filter, but instead of making bias tape for the nose piece, I'm just sewing topstitching under where the nose wire goes, and you can put it in and out through the filter pocket opening. that saves a whole lot of time, and means I'm sewing through less fabric. I was able to whip one up fairly quickly last night after that epiphany, and my 20 yr old promises to wear it today at his volunteer job when he is around other people. Thankfully they are careful there, and know what precautions to take as they are used to having to keep disease from spreading bird to bird. He said they have a limit now of no more than 2 people in any building (small buildings - think sheds) at one time, preferably only one, 6 ft distance, etc. The woman who runs it is wearing a full on respirator around people, so he felt very comfortable with the idea of wearing a mask when inside any buildings. Plus, I made him one with owl fabric 🙂

I'm so glad he's taking it seriously. But I know part of that might be having had a father than died young...he has no illusions of immortality 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I would like to order some ribbon, a bias tape maker, some spool/bobbin linky things and maybe some fabric.  

I would like to support a local business (what I mean is "not Amazon") who can mail me this stuff.

Any recommendations?

Google local quilt shops. They are likely closed but mine are willing to take orders over the phone or via the internet and then let you do a curbside pick up. If you can't find anything local, I just ordered batik fabric on sale from the https://www.fatquartershop.com/ . I ordered several different ones by the half yard so I would have options and I believe it was about 3.75 per half yard. They also likely have the other things you are looking for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am very late to the mask-making party.  Now to read this six page thread...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

My newest conundrum: thread. I have a few spools of white or ecru, but close to zero navy or black. I sent dh on an errand to paw through the stash at his mom’s house (since he was going there anyway), but he didn’t understand my instructions very well, I guess. He only brought me back one spool, nearly empty, of polyester thread. 😑 So I’m going to go over there myself here shortly and see if I can scrounge up something useful. 

If I have to buy some I don’t know where/how I might actually do that in the near future. 

1 hour ago, Quill said:

My newest conundrum: thread. I have a few spools of white or ecru, but close to zero navy or black. I sent dh on an errand to paw through the stash at his mom’s house (since he was going there anyway), but he didn’t understand my instructions very well, I guess. He only brought me back one spool, nearly empty, of polyester thread. 😑 So I’m going to go over there myself here shortly and see if I can scrounge up something useful. 

If I have to buy some I don’t know where/how I might actually do that in the near future. 

Is polyester thread a problem? 

On 4/7/2020 at 1:33 AM, wathe said:

Here's a super easy modification of the St Charles pattern that gets rid of the pleats:

A two layered rectangle the same dimensions as the St Charles pattern.  Hem top and bottom of each layer.  Sew layers together (right sides together) on side edges only, to make a tube.   Turn right side out.   Sew a simple casing up each side.  Thread whatever cordage you have. (I've used cotton clothes-line because that's what was in the house).  Instead of pleating, bunch the fabric along the cord, and put the mask on.  I've tacked the cord at the top of the mask and left the bottom loose.   Bunch before putting the mask on.  The fit is great.  It will flatten out for easy washing, and easy to add a rectangular filter if desired.  Easy to add a pocket for a nose wire if desired.

This sews up really fast!

fullsizeoutput_9ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9aa.jpeg

IMG_5950.JPG

Ok.  I modified your mask just a bit.  I made the mask just the same but then took a piece of 1/4 inch elastic....32" for me and ran it through the sides and made a loop.  Easy to put on and off...esp for my kids that struggle with tying.

IMG_20200408_141325802.jpg

IMG_20200408_141354266.jpg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Quill said:

cord locks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MV0PB3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but they only have small packs.  Delivery is pretty soon though, supposedly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786FM7PL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these have a late delivery date, but they did for me too, and I am already using them.  My delivery date was April 28, but I got them within a week of ordering, so probably around April 2.

And for ribbon, I use 1/4" grosgrain but when I couldn't find the right color, I used satin.  And I have found that 3/8" works fine, too.  :0)  I got about 400 yards of different colors at Michael's about 15 minutes before the lockdown order came.  I am out of some colors so will be ordering online for curbside pickup as Michael's is offering that and it is on the path of my daily walk.  :0)

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 12:33 AM, wathe said:

Here's a super easy modification of the St Charles pattern that gets rid of the pleats:

A two layered rectangle the same dimensions as the St Charles pattern.  Hem top and bottom of each layer.  Sew layers together (right sides together) on side edges only, to make a tube.   Turn right side out.   Sew a simple casing up each side.  Thread whatever cordage you have. (I've used cotton clothes-line because that's what was in the house).  Instead of pleating, bunch the fabric along the cord, and put the mask on.  I've tacked the cord at the top of the mask and left the bottom loose.   Bunch before putting the mask on.  The fit is great.  It will flatten out for easy washing, and easy to add a rectangular filter if desired.  Easy to add a pocket for a nose wire if desired.

This sews up really fast!

fullsizeoutput_9ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9aa.jpeg

IMG_5950.JPG

okay I love this modification but am wondering why St Charles /CDC would not have gone this simpler route than pleats. For that matter, on medical surgical masks, why pleats vs this? Is there a particular advantage to pleats? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quill said:

I wish I could buy some cord locks and ribbon but it looks like I was too late to use that great idea. 

I bought ties from ebay and cord locks today on Amazon.

2 hours ago, Penguin said:

Same question. I saw in one video they said no acrylic because it might melt when being sterilized, but I'm so far not making mine for any medical use. Most of my thread is polyester.

37 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Check the post right before this one...   :0)

Thanks. I hadn't actually checked Amazon before asking, just assumed they were out, but I did find some. Not a big package, though.

• Like 2

so let me be the one to say it, after trying them last night. Pleats are the devil. Maybe if I had a walking foot. Maybe. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have read it is supposed to be cotton thread bc other threads could melt in hot water. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Thanks 1

My 10 year old, who had never touched a sewing machine before yesterday, just made two of these!!!! Modified CraftPassion mask, with pocket. But instead of the bias tape nose wire sleeve we just put a seam to hold the nose wire in place. You access it from the pocket for the filter. 

EVGyqDHUMAEKiux.jpeg

EVGyqDJUMAAQ4N1.jpeg

EVGyqDGUcAAvxdp.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

Check the post right before this one...   :0)

Do you think the first locks linked would work with homemade bias tape?

26 minutes ago, kand said:

I bought ties from ebay and cord locks today on Amazon.

Same question. I saw in one video they said no acrylic because it might melt when being sterilized, but I'm so far not making mine for any medical use. Most of my thread is polyester.

Thanks. I hadn't actually checked Amazon before asking, just assumed they were out, but I did find some. Not a big package, though.

Actually, I just cancelled my Amazon cord locks because I found ones on ebay that I can get much quicker.

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

I have read it is supposed to be cotton thread bc other threads could melt in hot water. 🤷🏻‍♀️

If it's for home use, polyester will be just fine. I always used polyester for all my cloth diaper sewing projects, and those would get washed on the washing machines "extra hot" sanitary cycle.

7 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

My 10 year old, who had never touched a sewing machine before yesterday, just made two of these!!!! Modified CraftPassion mask, with pocket. But instead of the bias tape nose wire sleeve we just put a seam to hold the nose wire in place. You access it from the pocket for the filter. 

EVGyqDHUMAEKiux.jpeg

EVGyqDJUMAAQ4N1.jpeg

EVGyqDGUcAAvxdp.jpeg

Way to go your dd! She did great! 👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 issue is difficulty sanitizing it with high heat compared to cotton. At hospital for sure, but even an iron can be set hotter for cotton. 

Another potential issue might be whether the virus lasts longer in virulent form on plastics (which so think polyester may be a plastic) than on cotton.  I don’t think we know, but the Princeton et al institutions showed longer lasting on plastic than on cardboard iirc 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

EVGyqDHUMAEKiux.jpeg

EVGyqDJUMAAQ4N1.jpeg

EVGyqDGUcAAvxdp.jpeg

She did a great job! I love the look and fit of this mask but am intimidated. The pattern (or lack thereof) isn't for novice sewers, imo. Before firing up my sewing again recently, I'd done some aprons, simple skirts, and basic quilting...15 years ago. Ha! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

She did a great job! I love the look and fit of this mask but am intimidated. The pattern (or lack thereof) isn't for novice sewers, imo. Before firing up my sewing again recently, I'd done some aprons, simple skirts, and basic quilting...15 years ago. Ha! 

You can simplify it a lot. We don't do the top stitching it calls for - and justify that with the idea that the fewer holes put in the fabric the better as far as function. Oh, and when you clip that curved seam, don't just make slits like she does in the video, cut out little triangles - that helped a lot in making it lay nicely. And like I said, skip the bias tape nose wire sleeve, just top stitch a short seam at the end to hold it in place. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Quill said:

Just between you and me, I've been using the thread that was already on my machine and the bobbin that was the fullest. So my top thread is white, my bottom thread is pink and my fabric is black and white/black. I figure people will think it's a design choice. 😆 I'm getting ready to move into blue fabrics. Things are really going to start looking interesting now. LOL

47 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I cannot believe what a fantastic job she did. I gave up on those because I couldn't do the curves. My fabric kept bunching. What's y'all's secret?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For any of the folks out there who crochet/knit but don't sew -- just saw this posted. Does need a fabric lining but small piece of fabric can just be hand stitched to the inside of the mask. Easy peasy. 

https://www.yarnspirations.com/diy-face-masks.html?fbclid=IwAR37eyOoE4epVt0eaWXAyR0S6fU4R5ND2wIgPaeZ6p0iaUvNPiOGUo_mnjE&utm_campaign=2020_04_BLOG_FaceMask_CoatsandClark&utm_content=FaceMaskAnnouncement&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=social

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

okay I love this modification but am wondering why St Charles /CDC would not have gone this simpler route than pleats. For that matter, on medical surgical masks, why pleats vs this? Is there a particular advantage to pleats? 

I don't think pleats vs gathers/bunching makes a functional difference.  Disposable surgical masks are paper product (fancy paper, but paper none the less).  I think pleats are easier to mass manufacture, and paper doesn't gather/bunch well.  The St Charles pattern is a fabric copy of a modern disposable paper mask, hence pleats.

ETA: with pleats, the side of the mask is flatter and smoother, so I suppose in theory would seal better.  But surgical masks aren't meant to seal, they are meant to catch droplets.  So not really that important, I don't think.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Just between you and me, I've been using the thread that was already on my machine and the bobbin that was the fullest. So my top thread is white, my bottom thread is pink and my fabric is black and white/black. I figure people will think it's a design choice. 😆 I'm getting ready to move into blue fabrics. Things are really going to start looking interesting now. LOL

I cannot believe what a fantastic job she did. I gave up on those because I couldn't do the curves. My fabric kept bunching. What's y'all's secret?

I’m quite fussy about it because any imperfections in stitching straightness or if the thread bunches up and makes a messy patch as sometimes happens, it looks bad to me. Also, I’m doing all the topstitching because I like how it gives a finished look. I’m not fast at this; can you tell? Lol...

I wonder why your fabric bunches on the curves. I havent had that happen yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IfIOnly said:

Do you think the first locks linked would work with homemade bias tape?

Probably this is thin.  But take a look at how wide your bias tape is, and then order cord locks with a properly sized opening.  I got 7 and 8mm cord locks for 1/4" grosgrain, and 2 ribbons fit through with a little bit of poking.  :0)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

EVGyqDHUMAEKiux.jpeg

EVGyqDJUMAAQ4N1.jpeg

EVGyqDGUcAAvxdp.jpeg

Great job dd10! 

I am going to be embarrassed by my own effort compared to hers, I think!

Edited by Pen
  • Haha 1

Just finished the Fu mask for the five year old.......

76B045A1-F281-48F8-AC18-94D4FDA3C3F5.jpeg

31858EBD-6AC6-4584-9602-46CFBDBA57CD.jpeg

• Like 7

20 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Oh, bummer about fixing again. 24 masks is huge. You are amazing! I think a lot of us are tweaking and finding our preferences as we go.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I had an idea it would be pretty comfy. Sorry, what pattern are you using? 

27 actually! Delivered today.

My pattern is my own hybrid as I remodeled it twice. Basic pleated, with an opening between the top layer and the lining for a large filter. 

The small opening many masks are  being made with,  doesn’t allow for the filter this facility is using. 

Channels on the sides for ties. I’ll try to find a photo later.

Getting ready for Zoom bible study now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KatieinMich said:

27 actually! Delivered today.

My pattern is my own hybrid as I remodeled it twice. Basic pleated, with an opening between the top layer and the lining for a large filter. 

The small opening many masks are  being made with,  doesn’t allow for the filter this facility is using. 

Channels on the sides for ties. I’ll try to find a photo later.

Getting ready for Zoom bible study now. 

Wow, that's amazing. And I can't wait to see your pictures. So far I've not been happy with any I've done. I'll wear them but I'm not at the point where I would make them for others. 

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

<snip>

Yes, I think you should go with "design choice!" Pink/white/black is a great combination!  I am doing the same, just sewing with what I've got. But I'm making these for my family right now, and muddling my way through, no time to fret over thread colors. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Ok.  I modified your mask just a bit.  I made the mask just the same but then took a piece of 1/4 inch elastic....32" for me and ran it through the sides and made a loop.  Easy to put on and off...esp for my kids that struggle with tying.

IMG_20200408_141325802.jpg

IMG_20200408_141354266.jpg

Question for you and @wathe  is the top of the mask open or sewn up? I just made one and love it but didn't realize until it was finished that the top was open. haha

I'm not sure how I would close it with the side casing needing open access through the top. Anyone who knows what they're doing got an easy idea, at least for next time. 😅

Edited by IfIOnly

6 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

Question for you and @wathe  is the top of the mask open or sewn up? I just made one and love it but didn't realize until it was finished that the top was open. haha

I'm not sure how I would close it with the side casing needing open access through the top. Anyone who knows what they're doing got an easy idea, at least for next time. 😅

I've mostly closed the top by sewing a pocket for a wire - top stitched after the casing has been made.  The opening for the wire is accessed from inside the mask.

• Thanks 1

diagram of top-stitching to make casing and wire pocket.  The bottom of the mask is left open.

fullsizeoutput_9ad.jpeg

IMG_5952.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wathe said:

I've mostly closed the top by sewing a pocket for a wire - top stitched after the casing has been made.  The opening for the wire is accessed from inside the mask.

Oh, duh. Yes, that's brilliant. Thank you!!

1 minute ago, wathe said:

diagram of top-stitching to make casing and wire pocket.  The bottom of the mask is left open.

fullsizeoutput_9ad.jpeg

IMG_5952.JPG

Thank you for this! I'm using the longer side as top and bottom to go across the face and the shorter sides for casings though. I love how easy this it is. Thank you so much for sharing. 

• Like 1

Here are some photos. The green floral one is The finished one with the channels on the side, and the long tie. It does NOT  have the filter pocket as it is my own personal one.

The white and pink one is the back side of a mask before I add the channels on the side. (I have 30 of those to finish up tomorrow).

I have written out instructions, but if you want a better explanation, please  ask. 

Directions: cut a piece of front fabric 8 x 10. Then cut a lining piece 8 x 16.  Hem the top of the 8x10 piece. Fold the 8 x16 piece in half, right sides together. Lay it on the wrong side of the front piece you have just hemmed. Sew the raw edges together. Now turn those two pieces so,the seam is now inside. Press that seam flat . It should look like,the first photo. Fold that flap down over the lining piece. It kind of looks like an envelope now. Between those two layers is where you can insert a filter.

Next I iron in the three pleats and then serge those pleats in place. 

Cut two pieces of 3 x7 inches for,the side channels.

Add your Channel bindings on the side. Thread the tie thru the channels. 

Alternatively, add elastic on the sides. You can put short ear loops ones, or longer ones so they can wear it over their head like a ski mask.

I have been sewing for several weeks and made many versions of this mask. I think I am somewhere around 70, but I am not counting. I would have more done if I hadn’t had to remodel 27 I delivered today, twice! It was frustrating, but I am quite happy with my hybrid pattern now. 

27FDD96C-4B68-4F1E-A473-373E84A206F9.jpeg

BDE8FF9F-C7D8-4C46-8713-FCB5089C8DD6.jpeg

0D833422-5769-4201-B67E-172E560C1CDE.jpeg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

It doesn’t matter really. It’s just easier to figure out which way to put it on.

All of mine are made with two pieces. I started with Kingsize sheets and I didn’t have anything for a lining, so I just have the wrong side of the fabric showing on the inside.