Menu

What's with the ads?

14 hours ago, wathe said:

Try a deep surgical-style mask.  When tied properly, these really do fit almost everyone.  As a bonus they are really easy to sew - all straight lines.  You can either do pleats as per the instructions in the St Charles pattern, or sew side casings, thread what ever kind of cord you have through the casings,  and bunch. 

The key to a mask staying put is having a mask that fits properly under (not on) the chin.  The chin anchors the mask and keeps it from riding up.

Good tip about the chin! I think it may have been the problem.

13 hours ago, kand said:

I have two other suggestions you might try. The one from Tea Rose Home has a different kind of cut and may work well. It works on all my kids, including the ones with little ski jump noses that can’t hold up the other styles 😊http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/2020/04/mask-tutorial.html?m=1

I also like the one from Crafty Quilter. Similar to Craft Passion, but maybe different enough it may work for him: https://thecraftyquilter.com/2020/03/versatile-face-mask-pattern-and-tutorial/

Craft Passion also has a link to a special pattern called the Jesse Mask that is made to your face measurements. I have found it seems to run big on those I’ve tried it on, but the shape is good. I’d probably try the Tea Rose one first. 

I haven’t liked the surgical style ones I’ve made, because they ride up into my eyes and gap at the side, whereas the shaped ones I’ve made do not. 

Thanks! I tried the Jesse mask and we'll see how it does today.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Photo:  Mask for goddaughter, with embellishment.  

By the way, I continue to hear from people who wear masks all day long that this model (single ribbon, cord-lock) is comfortable all day, that it is the favorite mask...and that it gets damp at about 4 hours.  So I'm trying to make sure people have a couple of masks if they have an 8 hour day.  

AD3E417D-5956-4CE9-A8BA-767BEA40AF8C_1_201_a.jpeg

I love the hearts! 💕 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Photo:  Mask for goddaughter, with embellishment.  

By the way, I continue to hear from people who wear masks all day long that this model (single ribbon, cord-lock) is comfortable all day, that it is the favorite mask...and that it gets damp at about 4 hours.  So I'm trying to make sure people have a couple of masks if they have an 8 hour day.  

AD3E417D-5956-4CE9-A8BA-767BEA40AF8C_1_201_a.jpeg

I just wanted to say, I really admire the precision with which you construct your masks. Nice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I just wanted to say, I really admire the precision with which you construct your masks. Nice! 

Thank you.  Believe me, I chose one of my better efforts for the photo.  :0)

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I love the hearts!

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this sooner...well, actually, I do.  It uses a ton of thread, I was running low, and the stores were closed.  Now we are opening up again, so I'm all about embellishing the masks to give to short people I know.  At least the ones that wear pink.  I think I will have to do something different for my godson.  ;0)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Thank you.  Believe me, I chose one of my better efforts for the photo.  :0)

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this sooner...well, actually, I do.  It uses a ton of thread, I was running low, and the stores were closed.  Now we are opening up again, so I'm all about embellishing the masks to give to short people I know.  At least the ones that wear pink.  I think I will have to do something different for my godson.  ;0)

😂I love the mask but have to admit when I looked at the embellishment my first thought was all the treadbeing used.  I just scored some thread myself and am doing a happy dance!  I was getting close to out so was checking frequently for my store to get a shipment of thread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mumto2 said:

my first thought was all the treadbeing used

I'm finally getting to use alllll the thread and fabric I completely "wasted" my money on all those years ago.  I will not live long enough to make masks enough to use it up.  :::eye roll:::  It's nice to have it though.  I made about 30 kid-masks today and I'm getting a little low on adult masks, but I think I will take a break and sew something else I've been wanting to try.  You can anticipate hearing some bad words pretty soon.  I'm working with a slick fabric that frays if you LOOK at it...oy.

• Like 2

Two videos. I thought the first pattern was a cute idea for those with long hair. It would work for me.  I might make one for my sister.  The next is a recent video looking at fabric testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pen said:

@Plum 👍 fabric testing video!

I thought she did a really good job explaining how much of a difference fit and fabric make. 

• Like 1

@Plum thanks for the big bow version of a mask.  Thin I will give it a try because it might work well for both Dd and I.  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 6:56 PM, wathe said:

@cabercro

To protect yourself, you need to treat your mask as PPE the way HCW do:  Once your mask is on your face, you do not touch it.  At all.  Full stop.  You treat the outside of you mask as thought it is contaminated from the moment you put it on.  

Is the mask any more contaminated than say, one's shirt, sleeve, hands themselves? Or? If I am running errands to more than one place I put the mask on when I arrive, go in/talk via drive up service, drive away, remove mask with ear loop straps, set outer side down on the car seat next to me. Then next place I pick it back up by the ear loops, put on, repeat as needed. (no one will be sitting in that car seat, so not worrying about contaminating it). 

Oh, and I use hand sanitizer before removing it. 

• Thanks 1

What's the story of t-shirt material, the soft jersey stuff? Wondering if a layer of that on the inside would be more comfortable? Maybe from the hanes moisture wicking undershirts? Layer of that, layer of cotton quilting or batiq, and can put a shop towel in between as a third layer. I just know some of my cotton is not as soft as others, lol. 

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

What's the story of t-shirt material, the soft jersey stuff? Wondering if a layer of that on the inside would be more comfortable? Maybe from the hanes moisture wicking undershirts? Layer of that, layer of cotton quilting or batiq, and can put a shop towel in between as a third layer. I just know some of my cotton is not as soft as others, lol. 

Yeah. Even the quality quilters cotton I got is not that soft. I've been using a layer of that on the outside with 2 layers of antimicrobial moisture wicking soft tshirts on the inside. My mask sucks in when I breathe in. Some of the masks I've made have a filter pocket, but I'm finding I get a better seal when I make masks without them. I haven't been able to modify a filter pocket mask to fit like it does if it's all one piece.  I'm still hand-sewing though, so I'm limiting my options as it is. 

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I’m using regular 100% cotton t-shirt material as the close to face material and the ties material for my homemade masks.

and then, yes, an outer quilt/batik type cotton and an in between filter pocket.

I may change to a flannel inside or filter layer or a polyester filter based on the video @Plum linked this morning.  Or no filter and an added outer electrostatic layer.

I have to test breathability for myself of different combos.  

I’ve been using an outer layer salt water impregnated sometimes. 

I ordered some Olefin. Can you sew that in or is best to use only as a filter? 

11 minutes ago, Plum said:

I don’t know for sure, but think it may depend on how you plan to wash masks.  I think it does not handle hot machine washing. So okay sew in if you’re hand or machine washing cold to warm.  Removable if want to wash (or dry I guess) hot.

29 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t know for sure, but think it may depend on how you plan to wash masks.  I think it does not handle hot machine washing. So okay sew in if you’re hand or machine washing cold to warm.  Removable if want to wash (or dry I guess) hot.

Sounds right. The other video said no iron, no dryer. I wouldn't want to sew it down the middle either. 

4 hours ago, Plum said:

So far I have only used it for removable filters, telling people they can reuse them if they hand wash the filters in cool soapy water.  I plan to try sewing it into the next round of masks, with the instructions to either hand wash the whole mask, or machine wash on gentle/cold, and hang to dry. I am making this change because my extended family is mostly skipping the filters.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2020 at 6:08 AM, Plum said:

I came to find this for another thread— bumping while at it.

Hi all!  It's been awhile since I made my first masks, but I'm getting started on a big batch tomorrow.  I've got all my squares cut out and ready to go.  

I do have a question though.  My masks (you can see a pic of me in mine on page 3 of this thread and my changes to the pattern on page 5) have side slots for me to use elastic, shoelaces, t-shirt strips, or fabric ties.  They are removable.

I am thinking of trying ties that are like that, but I want them secure (I think like binding, which I don't have).  Does anyone know of a good tutorial for how to make those?  I've no problem making the fabric ties (iron and sew) and they turned out fine.  I would just like to try a few where the ties aren't removable.

Thanks so much!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Hi all!  It's been awhile since I made my first masks, but I'm getting started on a big batch tomorrow.  I've got all my squares cut out and ready to go.  

I do have a question though.  My masks (you can see a pic of me in mine on page 3 of this thread and my changes to the pattern on page 5) have side slots for me to use elastic, shoelaces, t-shirt strips, or fabric ties.  They are removable.

I am thinking of trying ties that are like that, but I want them secure (I think like binding, which I don't have).  Does anyone know of a good tutorial for how to make those?  I've no problem making the fabric ties (iron and sew) and they turned out fine.  I would just like to try a few where the ties aren't removable.

Thanks so much!!!

I do most of my pleated surgical style masks with binding ties.  Cut a fabric strip at least 36" long, longer is better (I use the width of the bolt) and 1.5" wide.  Press it into double fold binding tape (it does not have to be cut on the bias).   Find the midpoint alon the length of the binding.  Open it up, and sew it onto the body of the mask just like you do for your side slots - the binding will trail off the top and bottom of the mask, just sew to part that attaches to the mask for now.  Fold it back up lengthwise,  (it will wrap over the edge of the mask, just like your side slots) then sew the entire length of the binding to hold it securely shut, and hold it wrapped over the edge of the mask.

37 minutes ago, wathe said:

I do most of my pleated surgical style masks with binding ties.  Cut a fabric strip at least 36" long, longer is better (I use the width of the bolt) and 1.5" wide.  Press it into double fold binding tape (it does not have to be cut on the bias).   Find the midpoint alon the length of the binding.  Open it up, and sew it onto the body of the mask just like you do for your side slots - the binding will trail off the top and bottom of the mask, just sew to part that attaches to the mask for now.  Fold it back up lengthwise,  (it will wrap over the edge of the mask, just like your side slots) then sew the entire length of the binding to hold it securely shut, and hold it wrapped over the edge of the mask.

That is basically what I do also....essentially how I bind a quilt.  If you own a walking foot it is easier, someone here recommended it and it makes it easy to sew on the ties in an assembly line.