Menu
The Well-Trained Mind Community

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

To clarify, this is for a place that washes them frequently. And I do wider casing than some because I’m using wide elastic 

Pipe cleaners will rust if washed. I’ve been using floral wire, and have washed some of mine many times with no issues. 

• Sad 1
  • Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday we set up a table to give away masks at the end of our driveway.  We ended up giving away about a hundred.

I don't know if they were the "best" mask pattern, but I'll send the last of 500 of them to dd's ship tomorrow. She sent me a text today, "Airman took 180 to the other barracks". I'm done. At least fo

My 10 year old, who had never touched a sewing machine before yesterday, just made two of these!!!! Modified CraftPassion mask, with pocket. But instead of the bias tape nose wire sleeve we just put a

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Okay, this gives much better nose space. It's this pattern in medium. Excuse the truly dreadful quarantine hair.

http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/2020/04/mask-tutorial.html?m=1

IMG_20200502_152812744.jpg

I printed out this pattern to use, and it looks really small the way it printed. Like the size large looks closer in size to the kid one I made. Are the pattern pieces a lot smaller than for other mask styles you made? Wondering if the print scaling is off for me. She doesn’t have a scale marker on her pattern pieces. Did yours print horizontally on the page or vertically? Mine printed with the paper in portrait orientation, both pattern pieces side-by-side.

Ugh, sized down a single layer mask for Benny to try to get him to wear something, but he shrieked and yanked at it immediately.  Tried again, same result, major face touching.  Took it off and the little jerk had the biggest manipulative grin 🙄

D34E3463-00A0-495D-8CEB-9DEFD9ADB47B.jpeg.5ed7441ebe14fe72acbfa36c14c130a4.jpeg

• Sad 4
On 4/30/2020 at 2:10 PM, mumto2 said:

I happened to read @Laura Corin post earlier regarding a mask that fit her nose comfortably and had no solve.........until a favorite blogger posted her mask design.  It is a bit different and takes care of the seam down the middle question while talking about noses.  She also cuts a strip out of soda cans instead of wire........I am currently ahead 4 masks but next time I sew I plan to try her design.  http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/

Thank you for this link. My father, from whom I inherited my nose, has had skin cancer on his nose a number of times. So not only is he endowed but the skin is very sensitive from past treatments. Hopefully, this one will be more comfortable for him. I think I'll try to line his with flannel as well to see if the softness helps.

• Like 4

Most of the people I’m making masks for have flatter noses with no bridge so the original Fu mask works well. That said, I wanted more breathing room for myself so I modified it, again. I liked that Fu was full face coverage and fits nicely under the chin. I liked that the seam allowance was built in. I just wanted to pull it away from my eyes a smidge and give a little more breathing room. So...I took the time to redo it. It’s the same size just with a more generous mouth space and less fabric under my eyes. I took the upper curve from the craftpassion pattern and the nose curve from a dinner plate, lol. I also mounted it on chipboard so I could cut around it more easily. Oh, and these have a filter pocket. I overlocked the inside seams and rolled the bottom hems.

7C317A6F-9DC8-4FDE-A76F-30BDADF2044E.jpeg

76ACD332-5ABA-43C8-B463-79CEA059F944.jpeg

46C5BF5D-70CF-4EBD-99CD-1AA207E4B9AA.jpeg

648B7093-6B6F-4C58-BC2B-928B040325DC.jpeg

CF344E98-9F1E-4D9C-BCCF-77235C151B1E.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Most of the people I’m making masks for have flatter noses with no bridge so the original Fu mask works well. That said, I wanted more breathing room for myself so I modified it, again. I liked that Fu was full face coverage and fits nicely under the chin. I liked that the seam allowance was built in. I just wanted to pull it away from my eyes a smidge and give a little more breathing room. So...I took the time to redo it. It’s the same size just with a more generous mouth space and less fabric under my eyes. I took the upper curve from the craftpassion pattern and the nose curve from a dinner plate, lol. I also mounted it on chipboard so I could cut around it more easily. Oh, and these have a filter pocket. I overlocked the inside seams and rolled the bottom hems.

7C317A6F-9DC8-4FDE-A76F-30BDADF2044E.jpeg

76ACD332-5ABA-43C8-B463-79CEA059F944.jpeg

46C5BF5D-70CF-4EBD-99CD-1AA207E4B9AA.jpeg

648B7093-6B6F-4C58-BC2B-928B040325DC.jpeg

Ooh, I like your modifications. The fu mask was way too close to my eyes. Your new pattern looks to be shaped very similar to the crafty quilter one I’ve been using, except hers is flat on the bottom while yours has an angle. I’m betting that would give me just a bit more chin coverage. I think I’ll try that on one. Still want to try the tea rose one as well, though.  I have a bunch of masks to make for family members with flatter noses and not much bridge. Are you saying this style seems to work well for that?

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kand said:

Ooh, I like your modifications. The fu mask was way too close to my eyes. Your new pattern looks to be shaped very similar to the crafty quilter one I’ve been using, except hers is flat on the bottom while yours has an angle. I’m betting that would give me just a bit more chin coverage. I think I’ll try that on one. Still want to try the tea rose one as well, though.  I have a bunch of masks to make for family members with flatter noses and not much bridge. Are you saying this style seems to work well for that?

Yes. My family members have been very pleased with the basic Fu. I'm betting they'd be over the moon with these small changes. I can upload the modified pattern in a sec.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, kand said:

I printed out this pattern to use, and it looks really small the way it printed. Like the size large looks closer in size to the kid one I made. Are the pattern pieces a lot smaller than for other mask styles you made? Wondering if the print scaling is off for me. She doesn’t have a scale marker on her pattern pieces. Did yours print horizontally on the page or vertically? Mine printed with the paper in portrait orientation, both pattern pieces side-by-side.

Did it print portrait or landscape? Try setting it to landscape.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, kand said:

I printed it and it came out landscape. I chose Actual Size.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

Pipe cleaners will rust if washed. I’ve been using floral wire, and have washed some of mine many times with no issues. 

Dang. Well I don’t think the thing I have pictured is right. Is yours coated in green plastic and bendable? I’m worried my product won’t work at all. And I tested getting the pipe cleaner in and out and it was a huge pain to get back in. I might just omit the nose piece. 

5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Did it print portrait or landscape? Try setting it to landscape.

For some reason, it printed portrait, with the masks on the top half and the bottom blank. I just printed again from a different device and it printed them properly landscape. I’m glad I asked before sewing a teeny tiny mask 😂. I’m going to try one of the tea rose ones, and one with Sneezy’s modifications, and decide between those which seems best suited to noses without much bridge. 

The picture below is my Fu pattern next to my crafty quilter one, so you can see the difference. (The B line drawn on the Fu pattern was for my baby-size mask for my two-year-old.)

image.jpg

• Like 1

Has anyone seen a pattern like this? I've seen ones with one strap that goes along the back of the neck. We had one of these a while back and they were super comfortable. I think if I could make one out of good fabric, that might be something that oldest could wear to work without having to constantly adjust or retie. 

715rX8r22uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Okay, this gives much better nose space. It's this pattern in medium. Excuse the truly dreadful quarantine hair.

http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/2020/04/mask-tutorial.html?m=1

IMG_20200502_152812744.jpg

I just did one using this pattern. It’s almost exactly like the crafty quilter one in construction, the difference being the shape of the pattern pieces, and particularly that it’s folded down the front rather than stitched. Folding seems better for my holes perspective, but it does produce a particularly pointy nose when you put it on someone who doesn’t have much nose. The chin contour seems much better. I made it in a size small for a kid with a very petite face and small, pointy chin. 

Next one will be using Sneezy’s pattern above. I’m doing all my practice on different patterns making them for my family while I wait for my fabric to arrive to make for my extended family. Hopefully then I will have everything tweaked just how I like it. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, kand said:

I just did one using this pattern. It’s almost exactly like the crafty quilter one in construction, the difference being the shape of the pattern pieces, and particularly that it’s folded down the front rather than stitched. Folding seems better for my holes perspective, but it does produce a particularly pointy nose when you put it on someone who doesn’t have much nose. The chin contour seems much better. I made it in a size small for a kid with a very petite face and small, pointy chin. 

Next one will be using Sneezy’s pattern above. I’m doing all my practice on different patterns making them for my family while I wait for my fabric to arrive to make for my extended family. Hopefully then I will have everything tweaked just how I like it. 

Yes, I like the lack of seam down the front.  The nose is quite pointy though, you're right; I don't know if adjusting the angle would help. I'm most interested in comfort, so I'm happy for now. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes, I like the lack of seam down the front.  The nose is quite pointy though, you're right; I don't know if adjusting the angle would help. I'm most interested in comfort, so I'm happy for now. 

It just gives it the medieval plague mask look.

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I had to make my outer side wider so I had enough material to fold over and line up with the new inner seam. Initially I was so scared I’d end up with a gap that didn’t have 2 layers. Ugh I hate extra steps but pretty pleased. I don’t know why I didn’t think of the top stitching the way you explained it. My sewing is not great (tried sewing with the pipe cleaner in so I could see where to go and got off track) but I got one done. 

my biggest concern for nose piece (or in my case piece that goes several inches across the top, not just over nose) is holding up in a washing machine without tearing the fabric. That’s why I’m scared to use the stem wire. I had all this stuff here but think the pipe cleaner may be safest??

thanks!! 

08805BB9-CC4C-4515-A2EB-4407613713E2.jpeg

I use rubber coated wire from tractor supply. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I use rubber coated wire from tractor supply. 

I am using electrical wire that hubby had in a drawer in the garage.  I think it works well and I am able to bend it so no pointy ends facing the inside.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Dang. Well I don’t think the thing I have pictured is right. Is yours coated in green plastic and bendable? I’m worried my product won’t work at all. And I tested getting the pipe cleaner in and out and it was a huge pain to get back in. I might just omit the nose piece. 

I use this floral wire.  It isn't coated with plastic, but it does have a thin, shiny painted coating.

It is a good thickness.  I can bend the ends in and crimp them tightly, and it holds its shape well.

• Like 2

For the crafty Quilter version I put the wire pocket in all but have recently been leaving it empty in the ones I am mailing because most are going to England.  I mailed my first to an England address and it arrived today!  Woot!  People can add the wires and filters there.  I am washing with the wire in but I throw them in lingerie bags......one of the wires did start coming out in wash.

• Like 1

I use the plastic coated paper clips. I straighten them and then turn a small section back towards the center. I then flatten the turned back bit as much as a I can. Some days I'm lucky and can flatten it with my fingers and other days I use needle nose pliers. I have washed my masks quite a few times and they seem to come through it just fine. Super cheap option.

ETA: I have used disposable foil baking pans as well. Not for myself but for my son. He hasn't mentioned any issues with washing. I cut a small section (1 x 2.5 in.). Fold it in thirds length wise. Then turn in each end and flatten. I sewed it right to my fabric instead of making a pocket. My sewing machine didn't like that part so I went back to my paper clips. But the foil does make a nice fit above the nose.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I am using electrical wire that hubby had in a drawer in the garage.  I think it works well and I am able to bend it so no pointy ends facing the inside.

That’s what I use too, we stripped a ton out of this house so finding lengths of it for nose wire made sense.  I like how stiff it is and that it holds its shape once bent.

• Like 1

I guess I have a few options. My personal opinion is that sometimes when I see a not so snug seal it’s not the nose so much as the sides of the top. That’s why I was looking into longer slots/wires... but that also makes it harder to insert/remove. 

These are going in the mail but not overseas. 

Hoe long was the mail trip to England? Mail is so unpredictable right now. My sis in CA got hers but friend in Seattle is still waiting unless she got it today. 

13 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I guess I have a few options. My personal opinion is that sometimes when I see a not so snug seal it’s not the nose so much as the sides of the top. That’s why I was looking into longer slots/wires... but that also makes it harder to insert/remove. 

These are going in the mail but not overseas. 

Hoe long was the mail trip to England? Mail is so unpredictable right now. My sis in CA got hers but friend in Seattle is still waiting unless she got it today. 

To England ........first arrived in 7 days but I mailed 3 others at the same time that have not arrived.   All 3 are going to the same village as the one that arrived btw.   7 days is about the normal average time from the US so I was very impressed.  That said  I was feeling very paranoid about my mailing so staggered them.  I mailed 4 masks a day until yesterday to England so we shall see. 

Mailing a mask to England costs roughly $2.50 so a pretty cheap “gift”.  I do feel better knowing our friends there who have no sewing machines will have one ready when they need it.

I sent some from Florida to Michigan last Saturday also.  One arrived Thursday, one Friday........another left on Tuesday and is still in route.

Most packages of masks have taken close to a week in the US for me......I mailed one that was needed immediately 2 day which was efficient but more expensive and as I am gifting these.....cheapest is best.  Plus they are mainly going to people who are staying in still.

• Like 3

This non-sewer is getting into this. I’m still playing around with what will fit everyone. Most fit me but we have a couple of Charlie Brown heads here or long chinned fellows. I’m doing this all by hand which is fine because I’m finding it relaxing to hand sew while the kids do school or listen to audiobooks. The only part I don’t like is sewing on the straps. The stack on the right just need straps. I had no fabric stored away. I found antimicrobial moisture-wicking t shirts and Bandana headbands I ironed out to give them a little bit of pretty.  

AB835DCC-665F-471F-BE04-C1ADD5DA757E.jpeg

• Like 7
5 hours ago, wendyroo said:

I use this floral wire.  It isn't coated with plastic, but it does have a thin, shiny painted coating.

It is a good thickness.  I can bend the ends in and crimp them tightly, and it holds its shape well.

I am using the same wire.  For dh's mask, I used one strand and he said it didn't hold well enough.  I then used a triple strand for extended family's masks and they all seem pleased with their masks.  I told them I could easily give them a double strand wire if they preferred, but none of them have asked.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried this version? I just tried it. I think it provides a better seal around my nose than the Fu masks. It is easier to insert a filter. I've struggled with the filters on the Fu masks. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Has anyone tried this version? I just tried it. I think it provides a better seal around my nose than the Fu masks. It is easier to insert a filter. I've struggled with the filters on the Fu masks. 

It appeared she filmed that over the course of a couple days, 14 steps, and the nose piece is a bit low for my liking. Too much for me! Lol 

I made the mask in the link above. It actually wasn't that hard even though it had many steps. (Frame of reference - I never used a sewing machine before last month and the only thing I've sewn are masks I have NO sewing experience.) I used it today when I ran my errands. It's the most uncomfortable mask I have but I think it probably provided the best seal of any of my masks. I think this is because of the elastic on all 4 sides. 

It was very hot and felt tight across my face. Unfortunately I think that's the trade-off to having a good seal. I felt the same when I used an N95 mask. 

I think I will wear this mask if I have an increased concern but will continue wearing my Fu mask when I go to the store. 

I think you could skip the nosepiece because the tight elastic (you sew it with the elastic pulled tight) makes it fit snugly across your nose. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I am sure this provides an excellent seal. Still, I couldn't finish the video. My eye was twitching from the messiness of it. LOL.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Haha 3

Finished my first mask.  It doesn't work for either my dh or me.  Tomorrow will make another with ties higher higher up and longer too.  

The good news is that the two batik fabrics with a shop towel in between are both breathable and very filtering too.

It took me four tries to figure out where to place the ribbons to get them in the approximate right place.   I now understand how to make them and hopefully can make one a day now.

15886297757076435423290655924529.jpg

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Finished my first mask.  It doesn't work for either my dh or me.  Tomorrow will make another with ties higher higher up and longer too.  

The good news is that the two batik fabrics with a shop towel in between are both breathable and very filtering too.

It took me four tries to figure out where to place the ribbons to get them in the approximate right place.   I now understand how to make them and hopefully can make one a day now.

I found that when I switched to having my ties run through a casing on each side, I got a much, much better fit. I also find it less sadly to place them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Regarding the ties.....I place mine a quarter inch from the turn on the top and just above the hem on the bottom for that style.  I do quarter inch seams.  This allows for an over the ear tie on the top by stretching up a bit which gives a better fit.

I'm having a hard time finding the right mask pattern for my 10 YO daughter. She does not like anything that goes behind her ears. The ties get stuck in her hair and she does not like wearing a pony tail. It's either too tight or too loose. This is getting annoying. 

5 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I'm having a hard time finding the right mask pattern for my 10 YO daughter. She does not like anything that goes behind her ears. The ties get stuck in her hair and she does not like wearing a pony tail. It's either too tight or too loose. This is getting annoying. 

Have you tried a single piece of elastic that wraps around the back of the head? If you look at the craft passion site there is a picture of a boy wearing it that way.  You have to go down a ways to get to the image.  That it is what I am doing with my next batch, now that my elastic arrived over the weekend.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

2 minutes ago, slackermom said:

Have you tried a single piece of elastic that wraps around the back of the head? If you look at the craft passion site there is a picture of a boy wearing it that way.  You have to go down a ways to get to the image.  That it is what I am doing with my next batch, now that my elastic arrived over the weekend.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

I don't have an elastic band like in the picture. I tried using a stretchy headband in the same way as the picture but it was too tight. Then I sewed two headbands together and they were too loose. 

I think the main issue is that DD just doesn't like anything tight around her head so nothing is going to be right. 

7 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I don't have an elastic band like in the picture. I tried using a stretchy headband in the same way as the picture but it was too tight. Then I sewed two headbands together and they were too loose. 

I think the main issue is that DD just doesn't like anything tight around her head so nothing is going to be right. 

Sensory issues are hard. The only other think that springs to mind is a balaclava style mask, either something stretchy that can be pulled up, or else more of a ski mask.  

17 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Will she wear a baseball hat? I'm just spitballing here (see what I did there 😂) but maybe there is a way to add buttons or hooks to one and have her mask feed through that. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I made two different versions of these. One from another site was enormous. This one was smaller and fit me well. I liked that I could use hair ties and a button. It sat low on the back of my neck. She charged $1 on Etsy for the pattern, just FYI. 

ETA it's the orange one in the picture I posted previously. 

https://youtu.be/pwZgkNdKlps

Edited by Plum
  • Like 1
On 5/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, Plum said:

Has anyone seen a pattern like this? I've seen ones with one strap that goes along the back of the neck. We had one of these a while back and they were super comfortable. I think if I could make one out of good fabric, that might be something that oldest could wear to work without having to constantly adjust or retie. 

715rX8r22uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Found one! I’ll try to make it tomorrow and report back. 

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Plum said:

Found one! I’ll try to make it tomorrow and report back. 

It came out small, but still fit me. I kept the dotted line part so that it looks like the mask pictured but my straps came out teeny tiny. I think I could adjust the pattern I like to include something like this. 

• Like 2

I need some help please!  I am making the St Charles pattern with the pocket and nose clip.  Everything is going swimmingly until I get to the part when I have to sew on the bias strip (or my case, fabric).  My machine won't easily advance and the bobbin side gets all nested up (lots of loopy threads).  I have changed out my needle twice (I have more on order), I have played with the top tension (higher and lower) and cleaned out the bobbin case thoroughly.  I think it is because there are too many layers of fabric to go through but it's not like I can make the layers fewer - I'm not even putting in much of a pleat as I am making kids' masks and I am worried they won't cover enough of the face unless I limit to one small pleat.

Can anyone give me more advice?  I can continue cutting new masks and doing all the sewing until this last step but I don't want to finish out the mask by hand!!!

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Plum said:

It came out small, but still fit me. I kept the dotted line part so that it looks like the mask pictured but my straps came out teeny tiny. I think I could adjust the pattern I like to include something like this. 

Can you enlarge the print 10-15%?

11 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Can you enlarge the print 10-15%?

I sure can. I'll give it a try. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I need some help please!  I am making the St Charles pattern with the pocket and nose clip.  Everything is going swimmingly until I get to the part when I have to sew on the bias strip (or my case, fabric).  My machine won't easily advance and the bobbin side gets all nested up (lots of loopy threads).  I have changed out my needle twice (I have more on order), I have played with the top tension (higher and lower) and cleaned out the bobbin case thoroughly.  I think it is because there are too many layers of fabric to go through but it's not like I can make the layers fewer - I'm not even putting in much of a pleat as I am making kids' masks and I am worried they won't cover enough of the face unless I limit to one small pleat.

Can anyone give me more advice?  I can continue cutting new masks and doing all the sewing until this last step but I don't want to finish out the mask by hand!!!

Thanks in advance!

For the first step, I sew the top and bottom, not the sides. Then turn inside out and do the pleats, etc. I hide the rough edges of the sides inside a channel for the straps to feed through.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

For the first step, I sew the top and bottom, not the sides. Then turn inside out and do the pleats, etc. I hide the rough edges of the sides inside a channel for the straps to feed through.

The part where my machine is hanging up is the part where I hide the rough edges with the channel.  The last step before inserting the elastic.