Menu

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday we set up a table to give away masks at the end of our driveway.  We ended up giving away about a hundred.

I don't know if they were the "best" mask pattern, but I'll send the last of 500 of them to dd's ship tomorrow. She sent me a text today, "Airman took 180 to the other barracks". I'm done. At least fo

My 10 year old, who had never touched a sewing machine before yesterday, just made two of these!!!! Modified CraftPassion mask, with pocket. But instead of the bias tape nose wire sleeve we just put a

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, kand said:

This seemed like a good thread to drop this. Study showing the addition of a nylon stocking layer dramatically boosted homemade mask protection: https://www.nprillinois.org/post/adding-nylon-stocking-layer-could-boost-protection-cloth-masks-study-finds#stream/0

I saw that.  If I were to do this, I would put the nylon on the outside of the mask.  Cotton is so much nicer against the skin.

34 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I saw that.  If I were to do this, I would put the nylon on the outside of the mask.  Cotton is so much nicer against the skin.

Well, yeah, it doesn't anywhere suggest sewing a nylon layer into the mask, but sealing around the mask with a nylon tube cut from a pantyhose or tights leg:  It's not that the nylon itself helps filter so much better, it's that it creates a better seal so air goes through the mask rather than around the edges.  Like pic #2:

Researcher Loretta Fernandez of Northeastern University wears a homemade face mask without and with an extra outer layer made from nylon stockings (right). The added nylon outer layer significantly boosted masks' ability to filter out small particles, her research found.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 4/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, Patty Joanna said:

Yes . The nylon as I understand it is supposed to be on outside to help keep the mask closed on edges better. 

I ordered a small amount of cloth to make masks prettier after feeling like so many of you have made such beautiful ones.  It came today and I want to share the source because I think what came is lovely.

I was not so concerned about thickness etc because my basics are things like remnants from old jeans, t-shirts,  etc, I just want a more cheerful, happy looking  outer layer! 

https://www.equilter.com/category/91/batiks-+-hand-dyes

https://www.equilter.com/category/133/clearance-super-bargains  

(there’s a $4.50 /yard Frozen pattern and 4.48 panel Secret Life of Pets  patterns that look fun for kid masks especially also Hobbit and Lord of the Rings — though price on some bright colorful batiks at regular price is just as good as Hobbit on sale)

(I got a couple batik pieces, one on sale, and a dog faces pattern—smallest amount allowed for each.  I wish I had gotten a Stars and Stripes, or  Union Jack or Wild West or some such or British Invasion Keep Calm and Eat a Banana type pattern for helping change people’s feelings that masks wearing isn’t a western culture thing ) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

I don't know if they were the "best" mask pattern, but I'll send the last of 500 of them to dd's ship tomorrow. She sent me a text today, "Airman took 180 to the other barracks". I'm done. At least for awhile. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Margaret in CO said:

I don't know if they were the "best" mask pattern, but I'll send the last of 500 of them to dd's ship tomorrow. She sent me a text today, "Airman took 180 to the other barracks". I'm done. At least for awhile. 

Wow! You rock!  

I am managing just a small family supply with slow hand sewing.  I am totally impressed by “the last 500”!  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

I have these, for my pool, and I am thinking maybe they would work instead of a stocking? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS63TWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Probably!  If size is good.  If you try it and it works would you report on that? It seems more suitable perhaps than cutting up panty hose... 

• Like 1

So, forgive me if I missed it...but do any of you crafty ladies have an etsy shop where you are selling these masks? I don't fabric craft and so I'm probably going to buy a few. (My no-sew attempts have been ridiculously uncomfortable.)

Please share if you are. I'd love to support a fellow WTM mama's business over an unknown. 

• Like 1

I’m still partial to the mask by Mimi G (youtube) but found out the hard way 22” of elastic was not typically enough. I am adding a couple inches now and hope the site reopens... says bandwidth issue when I try to go to order more elastic. 

There’s an easy way to make a filter slot on this model, but it could leave a small spot vulnerable? where layers don’t overlap so I need to take a closer look at design options. 

I found my floral craft wire but nervous to add to masks. Might tear them or be a hassle to make people remove for washing. Love the fold over elastic I got but won’t have much left soon. It’s cheaper than the shoelaces. 

I’ve done both types, but this style is quicker and easier than the pleated kind. I made this type for DH, since the other ones I made matched my pajamas. 🤣 This video has a free printable pattern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’ve done both types, but this style is quicker and easier than the pleated kind. I made this type for DH, since the other ones I made matched my pajamas. 🤣 This video has a free printable pattern.

That’s my go to pattern. Trying to figure out best way to modify for filter (it was a request). I also used the Craft Passion site when I needed smaller patterns. For kids and my mom who has a smaller face. 

You guys, after a day of refreshing the site my elastic supplier is back. I was crushed yesterday wondering how long the site would be down. They do not have black and white in the style I prefer but they do have it in the skinny elastic which most people use. 

Lobe looking at your masks. 500?! I was happy I’ve done like 15 lol! 

90F65FB7-225E-436A-8EF7-94A9F24FBCE0.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I found my floral craft wire but nervous to add to masks. Might tear them or be a hassle to make people remove for washing. Love the fold over elastic I got but won’t have much left soon. It’s cheaper than the shoelaces. 

How are you using the foldover elastic. I made one using it, but then got stumped partway through about how I was using it, and it ended up pretty much useless. I had thought it would be great for a nice fit along the edges.

I use craft wire in mine, and so far they've been fine in the wash. I haven't washed any mask more than twice though, because I've only been out a few times. At first I was sealing it in on both ends, and then I started leaving one end of the channel open, in case I need to remove. It works really well, but I can see it potentially wearing the mask out there if it is being washed a ton.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

That’s my go to pattern. Trying to figure out best way to modify for filter (it was a request). I also used the Craft Passion site when I needed smaller patterns. For kids and my mom who has a smaller face.

That was a good video. My pattern is almost the same, but it has a filter pocket. It's the Crafty Quilter one: https://thecraftyquilter.com/2020/03/versatile-face-mask-pattern-and-tutorial/.

I use straps instead of elastic, but I think I might try the elastic that goes around the back of the head for a few. I wish I'd gotten some elastic for it when I ordered more ties today. I have an idea after watching that video on how to alter the Crafty Quilter one to have a bottom filter pocket instead of side, which I've been wanting to try. Bottom seems like it might be easier to access.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kand said:

How are you using the foldover elastic. I made one using it, but then got stumped partway through about how I was using it, and it ended up pretty much useless. I had thought it would be great for a nice fit along the edges.

I use craft wire in mine, and so far they've been fine in the wash. I haven't washed any mask more than twice though, because I've only been out a few times. At first I was sealing it in on both ends, and then I started leaving one end of the channel open, in case I need to remove. It works really well, but I can see it potentially wearing the mask out there if it is being washed a ton.

I just posted a pic. I sew it like Mimi G suggests. Just sew it to itself with a zig zag stitch a few times and then I hide the stitching under the casing. It can slide freely through the casing. My dad’s was too tight at 22” so I told him to snip it and add a large safety pin or replace with a shoelace. 

A nursing home requested them with a filter slot and said some of the handmade ones that were donated are already falling apart because they wash frequently. I plan to send them some made with my duck cloth (that’s my black & white ones). 

if anyone needs it, this is the site I get my elastic. http://ohsweetbabyboutique.com/

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, kand said:

That was a good video. My pattern is almost the same, but it has a filter pocket. It's the Crafty Quilter one: https://thecraftyquilter.com/2020/03/versatile-face-mask-pattern-and-tutorial/.

I use straps instead of elastic, but I think I might try the elastic that goes around the back of the head for a few. I wish I'd gotten some elastic for it when I ordered more ties today. I have an idea after watching that video on how to alter the Crafty Quilter one to have a bottom filter pocket instead of side, which I've been wanting to try. Bottom seems like it might be easier to access.

Depends. I’ve seen some where the filter slot can make it fall out lol 

This is random and not directed at anyone in particular but it kinda irks me so many templates show pins.... like let’s add holes to this virus mask lol! I’m trying to limit that. I hold the fabric with my hands rather than pin it down. I wish I had quilting clips but most are a rip off I’ve seen online. I don’t need 50! Maybe I’d use mini binder clips if I was doing pleats. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Depends. I’ve seen some where the filter slot can make it fall out lol 

This is random and not directed at anyone in particular but it kinda irks me so many templates show pins.... like let’s add holes to this virus mask lol! I’m trying to limit that. I hold the fabric with my hands rather than pin it down. I wish I had quilting clips but most are a rip off I’ve seen online. I don’t need 50! Maybe I’d use mini binder clips if I was doing pleats. 

Same. I don’t use any pins and haven't seen a need to. 

I was using the fold over elastic to bind over the edges and gather the sides a bit, I just couldn’t decide how to go from the elastic to The straps. I see now I could have just sewn the loose ends to themselves to make elastic straps. Tough once the fold over is folded over and sewed to itself, it’s not quite as stretchy and it might not work. 

• Like 1

Oh dear. Scout Council just put out a plea for masks for this summer. I don't WANT to make any more! However, I have a pile of ribbon, elastic coming tomorrow, and piles and piles of fabric. I want to QUILT! Not make masks... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Spent 90 minutes yesterday in the mask I made (basic CDC bunched up with elastic). Can I just say that those of us graced with noses of distinction are not well served by the design? Back to the sewing machine.

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/italian-florentine-portrait-of-a-lady-in-red

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I am new to all this... I don’t know how it got the name but I’m not folding mine at all.  I just leave a wide enough casing it doesn’t get all bunched up. 

Usually it’s folded in half the long way, where you see the thinner part down the middle. It’s used on the edges of things like diaper covers and underwear. If I’d done it differently, I actually think it could work really well to bind the edges on a mask. It’s soft and comfortable and would help it fit well. More time consuming, though. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Spent 90 minutes yesterday in the mask I made (basic CDC bunched up with elastic). Can I just say that those of us graced with noses of distinction are not well served by the design? Back to the sewing machine.

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/italian-florentine-portrait-of-a-lady-in-red

Can you possibly fix it by inserting a nose wire? 

34 minutes ago, Pen said:

Can you possibly fix it by inserting a nose wire? 

It's not gaping around the nose that is the problem (my glasses sit on top and hold the mask down). But when the mask sits snugly, there's too much pressure over time on the end of my nose. I just need pleats, I think.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Laura's post gives me a chance to articulate a question I've been pondering. I've been making masks for my family and all seem to require something different - one needs it a little shorter, another needs it wider, etc.  One feels that the nose area is too gappy so requires a wire whereas finds all the masks squish the nose too much. This might have been mentioned upthread as well. Or maybe in a different mask thread related to buying masks from Etsy and such.

So, how are people make use of donated masks if the fit is so individual?  Or are my people just too picky? Though it's not really a matter of preference, just face sizes and  nose shapes, I guess. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I think fit will simply vary. My friends/acquaintances/family have claimed the masks were ok but I’ve only seen a photo of one wearing it. Sometimes my fabric tucks under more and the finished product is smaller with the same template. My duck cloth/flannel ones came out larger than my others. 

My sister in England won’t get hers for weeks. The one she has from a friend has a top wire but leaves a mark on her face. I don’t know if there’s any winning lol I would have mailed her one sooner but she was afraid it would cost a fortune. I weaseled around that by mailing mine in 6x9 Manila envelopes (NOT padded) so they aren’t a package. I omitted tracking and it was very affordable. I usually buy mailers at Dollar Tree but not sure where those came from. Just a tip if anyone needs to mail cheaply. The one I sent to my sister in the US was $1 shipping if anyone is estimating costs. I can’t find my letter scale. Of course our masks may have different weights. 

I do not have an Etsy site and am not charging for masks but might be slower as I’m trying to make some for specific groups right now. I have more elastic on the way but having to use my “good” (cute) fabric for lining now. I wish I had a plain print for insides. And more manly prints. 

• Like 1

I happened to read @Laura Corin post earlier regarding a mask that fit her nose comfortably and had no solve.........until a favorite blogger posted her mask design.  It is a bit different and takes care of the seam down the middle question while talking about noses.  She also cuts a strip out of soda cans instead of wire........I am currently ahead 4 masks but next time I sew I plan to try her design.  http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I happened to read @Laura Corin post earlier regarding a mask that fit her nose comfortably and had no solve.........until a favorite blogger posted her mask design.  It is a bit different and takes care of the seam down the middle question while talking about noses.  She also cuts a strip out of soda cans instead of wire........I am currently ahead 4 masks but next time I sew I plan to try her design.  http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/

Thanks. I actually made one like that before, but the overall size of the pattern was too small (width too), but maybe I'll try again.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, marbel said:

Laura's post gives me a chance to articulate a question I've been pondering. I've been making masks for my family and all seem to require something different - one needs it a little shorter, another needs it wider, etc.  One feels that the nose area is too gappy so requires a wire whereas finds all the masks squish the nose too much. This might have been mentioned upthread as well. Or maybe in a different mask thread related to buying masks from Etsy and such.

So, how are people make use of donated masks if the fit is so individual?  Or are my people just too picky? Though it's not really a matter of preference, just face sizes and  nose shapes, I guess. 

This is the advantage of the pleated surgical-style mask.  They fit almost everyone.  They are universal in hospitals for a reason 🙂

• Like 2

The pleated surgical masks are arguably ill fitting on people, too. Like does it tuck under chin of hang loosely? Do you nearly stab yourself in the eyes pulling it up? Does it gap on the sides? Who knows. 

I bit the bullet and ordered some plain fabric for more diversity/lining. I don’t want to drive all the way to the city so I paid the shipping. It’s coming from Michaels. It took me forever to locate what I needed on the site and half the items say out of stock once you click. Two colors were sold while I was browsing. Search “Loom & Thread fabric” as that’s the brand I found. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I've been using the Crafty Quilter pattern ever since I tried it, but this one has some advantages I want to try. Thanks for sharing it!

The pleated surgical masks are arguably ill fitting on people, too. Like does it tuck under chin of hang loosely? Do you nearly stab yourself in the eyes pulling it up? Does it gap on the sides? Who knows. 

I bit the bullet and ordered some plain fabric for more diversity/lining. I don’t want to drive all the way to the city so I paid the shipping. It’s coming from Michaels. It took me forever to locate what I needed on the site and half the items say out of stock once you click. Two colors were sold while I was browsing. Search “Loom & Thread fabric” as that’s the brand I found. 

I've been having great luck on Etsy and Ebay for fabric and such. I've gotten my things pretty quickly.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, wathe said:

This is the advantage of the pleated surgical-style mask.  They fit almost everyone.  They are universal in hospitals for a reason 🙂

The best so far for my people is the one you posted way upthread. It is also the easiest to make. The gathered sides are helpful. It still seems so difficult to get it justr right I anticipate wearing masks for a while so I want to make several for each person, and get them right!

ETA I have so much fabric, that is the one easy part!

Edited by marbel
5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I did the same...Etsy. My prints and solids are coming from small quilt shops all over the country. So much pretty!!

568EC62D-DEB0-4A03-A235-987C35283E64.jpeg

89E96DDE-B213-42CD-B0EC-85510DE6D0C7.jpeg

10CEE4B5-4023-43D9-8F74-0142550D2F3E.jpeg

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I did the same...Etsy. My prints and solids are coming from small quilt shops all over the country. So much pretty!!

568EC62D-DEB0-4A03-A235-987C35283E64.jpeg

89E96DDE-B213-42CD-B0EC-85510DE6D0C7.jpeg

10CEE4B5-4023-43D9-8F74-0142550D2F3E.jpeg

So pretty! I think I have the same multicolor leaf batik you have second from the top in the first picture. I’m waiting for my new needles before I dive into any of my batiks. What size and type needle are you using?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, marbel said:

The best so far for my people is the one you posted way upthread. It is also the easiest to make. The gathered sides are helpful. It still seems so difficult to get it justr right I anticipate wearing masks for a while so I want to make several for each person, and get them right!

ETA I have so much fabric, that is the one easy part!

Glad you like them!

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I

I should have qualified - a surgical style mask with ties, that's well tied, fits almost everyone.  The ties really make the difference in getting a good fit.  Ear loops are one-size fits no-one, in my not so humble opinion 🙂

Edited by wathe
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, kand said:

So pretty! I think I have the same multicolor leaf batik you have second from the top in the first picture. I’m waiting for my new needles before I dive into any of my batiks. What size and type needle are you using?

Oh geeze!! Too technical for me!! I’m using a basic all purpose needle. Lol.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Oh geese!! Too technical for me!! I’m using a basic all purpose needle. Lol.

I’m clueless about needles as well. It wasn’t until I thought I had broken mine that it struck me that I didn’t even know what needle I was using and then when I went looking to see what extras I had, I found all I had were ballpoint needles. Before this, my sewing was all on knits for cloth diapers. That sent me into many days analysis paralysis of trying to figure out what needles to buy. I finally settled on a pack of universals and a pack of microtex sharps. I’m thinking I’ll use the latter on the batiks, but 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

Funny you mention needles. Earlier I googled to see what size needle my machine takes and could not find that info. (Singer Fashion Mate 5560). I was looking it up because this thread I ordered says fits sizes 14 & something size machine needles. Is the needle size printed on the machine needle? I panicked as inventory was moving and just bought the thread lol 

Next time I may need to use Etsy. I did ok with Michaels I think. 3 Fat quarters colors at $1.27 each (after 20% coupon). Some thread. Shipping seemed to be a flat rate of like $7 but fabric prices somewhat offset that. 

• Like 1

Okay, this gives much better nose space. It's this pattern in medium. Excuse the truly dreadful quarantine hair.

http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/2020/04/mask-tutorial.html?m=1

IMG_20200502_152812744.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Not sure where to drop this tip from Twitter but I remember a couple of people complained about glasses fogging up

“I’m a healthcare worker.  Try some micropore tape across the top of the mask.  Works wonders for stopping my safety glasses fogging up”

• Like 3
On 4/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, kand said:

Same. I don’t use any pins and haven't seen a need to. 

I was using the fold over elastic to bind over the edges and gather the sides a bit, I just couldn’t decide how to go from the elastic to The straps. I see now I could have just sewn the loose ends to themselves to make elastic straps. Tough once the fold over is folded over and sewed to itself, it’s not quite as stretchy and it might not work. 

I use some pins, but only along the edge where it will be in the seam allowance, not where they will be breathing through it, if that makes sense? And now I'm really only using them for when I make the casings for the elastic/earloop/tie area. One each, but that's not a breathe through it part. And has many layers of fabric. 

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 11:47 PM, heartlikealion said:

You guys, after a day of refreshing the site my elastic supplier is back. I was crushed yesterday wondering how long the site would be down. They do not have black and white in the style I prefer but they do have it in the skinny elastic which most people use. 

Lobe looking at your masks. 500?! I was happy I’ve done like 15 lol! 

90F65FB7-225E-436A-8EF7-94A9F24FBCE0.jpeg

that's almost exactly what I'm doing (but with the craft passion pattern, looks nearly identical) but I first fold over the side edges of the inner lining fabric, and sew that down to finish those two edges, before sewing to the main fabric. Then when I make the casing on the sides of the main fabric at the end, they don't go OVER the lining edges, but right up next to the lining edges, which means you can slide a filter under the lining, but more importantly you can slide a nose wire  in and out (I just top stitch a seam along the top stopping a little before each side, so you can get the wire in and out)

I don't really care a whole lot about the filter, but I do want to be able to get the nose wire in. Hmm. Since my wire is supposedly water rpoof, for outdoor use on tomato plants, I guess it doesn't need to be removable, if I wanted to do it this way instead. Just put it in, stitch in place, and then do the sides. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

that's almost exactly what I'm doing (but with the craft passion pattern, looks nearly identical) but I first fold over the side edges of the inner lining fabric, and sew that down to finish those two edges, before sewing to the main fabric. Then when I make the casing on the sides of the main fabric at the end, they don't go OVER the lining edges, but right up next to the lining edges, which means you can slide a filter under the lining, but more importantly you can slide a nose wire  in and out (I just top stitch a seam along the top stopping a little before each side, so you can get the wire in and out)

I don't really care a whole lot about the filter, but I do want to be able to get the nose wire in. Hmm. Since my wire is supposedly water rpoof, for outdoor use on tomato plants, I guess it doesn't need to be removable, if I wanted to do it this way instead. Just put it in, stitch in place, and then do the sides. 

I had to make my outer side wider so I had enough material to fold over and line up with the new inner seam. Initially I was so scared I’d end up with a gap that didn’t have 2 layers. Ugh I hate extra steps but pretty pleased. I don’t know why I didn’t think of the top stitching the way you explained it. My sewing is not great (tried sewing with the pipe cleaner in so I could see where to go and got off track) but I got one done. 

my biggest concern for nose piece (or in my case piece that goes several inches across the top, not just over nose) is holding up in a washing machine without tearing the fabric. That’s why I’m scared to use the stem wire. I had all this stuff here but think the pipe cleaner may be safest??

thanks!! 

08805BB9-CC4C-4515-A2EB-4407613713E2.jpeg

• Like 1