Menu

need read aloud suggestions - asia

Looking for a read aloud for a 10 yr old girl and 7 yr old boy. The boy is very sensitive, which complicates things. As in the fable about the goose that laid the golden egg was too upsetting for him, because they kill the goose. As in, when he found out that people hunt geese for food (same day..sigh) he was upset and the only thing that calmed him down was for us to make a donation to a bird charity that helps protect the species. 

So definitely nothing where main characters get killed, animals are killed, etc. Can be set in any Asian country, now or in the past. Hoping for better quality reading than Magic Treehouse. Right now we are reading the Burgess Bird Book and loving it, but had to skip a chapter where the crow eats another birds eggs. So small stuff I can edit on the fly, but not if it is a main focus on the book. 

Thank you!

Just now, mellifera33 said:

My kids liked Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. We read it a while ago and my memory isn’t perfect, but I don’t remember any animal deaths as a major story line. 

thank you! I was looking specifically at that one!

31 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

How about One Grain of Rice? 

I can look at my Galloping the Globe list too if you want. We did all of Asia last year and got a lot of great books from there- and I will say also stay away from Russian fairy tales with sensitive kids. Ask me how I know. 

Ooh, that looks pefect! And given how many people in our society have proved they do not understand exponential growth, I'm sold on that aspect alone, lol. Plus, my son loves math. A winner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

If you do count in Russia (I never know when people want to include it as Europe or Asia for studies) I *think* that The Fool of the World and His Flying Ship was okay, but double check. Otherwise, the rest of the fairy tales almost all had Baba Yaga, and unless you feel like staying up with freaked out kids for a few nights straight, I would stay far, far away from Baba Yaga and the Chicken house. Although they will always now remember Russian Fairy tales very well. Even Masha and the Bear is sort of intense (the story, not the TV show). 

LOL, we will skip those for sure!!! 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Shipwrecked is one my family talks about regularly years later and probably the greatest story I've ever read. Preread it so you can skip the part where two brothers find out their parents died. The story is fine without it.

Have I mentioned that I was also (and still am) sensitive? My mom found out when Bambi's mom dies in the movie, so when she took me to it she suddenly "had to go to the bathroom" right before that part. I was an adult before I found out Bambi's mom died. 

23 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Childrens-Favorite-Stories-Anniversary/dp/4805312602?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Can't remember specifics for a sensitive child and my book is in storage due to my schoolroom having flooded a couple of months ago.  But I love this book and it is a classic. 

ETA:  Wrong book!  I saw the title and author and thought it was the same one I had.  This book is the one I loved as a child: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4805312653/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i3

I love this book.  I read it as a child.  When I taught ESL to Japanese students, they were delighted that I knew the characters from their stories. OP, if your ds is very sensitive, it is possible it may be too much in places.  The overall theme is kindness, but some stories include hitting or threats so that the hero can act against that out of kindness.  There are some accidental animal injuries and deaths.  Some have sad endings because people are separated from those they love.  I sobbed a lot when I read it as a child, because I was very sensitive, but it was an excellent book that promoted kindness and love of neighbors.  I loved it. 

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1