Menu

How are the grocery shelves in your area?

mommyoffive

Last Wednesday when I went, no toilet paper still. No flour on shelves but some on a pallet waiting to be stocked.  No bleach. Low egg supplies but far from out. Limits on meat and poultry but good supply. Limits on milk but good supply. Plenty of bread but all my preferred brands were gone. Plenty of canned goods, but few dried beans.

I'm getting a pickup order ready right now. The only meat is ham, some shrimp, a little bacon and sausage. Produce seems well stocked. Only eggs available were 18 count with a limit of two. Cornmeal in the five pound bag was out, but I found some Martha White individual bags, and Jiffy is available.

This is north east Texas

No paper products to be found in five trips.  Lowe's had Lysol wipes and PineSol in an enormous container.  We made a Costco run yesterday, they were out of the basic hoarding items, but what they did have was plentiful.  The freezer section was full, milk available, only brown eggs, though.  The produce has not been fresh, rather wilted and brown.  We stocked up on frozen veggies.  

In my area, all-purpose flour and yeast are very hard to find as well as alcohol and hand sanitizier.  I stopped by Kroger on the way home today from my chiropracter appointment. Supplies were limited on paper products but absolutely no sugar, flour, or yeast.  

I normally shop at our small local markets. We live near Amish farms, so we get our eggs from them as well as fresh fruits and veggies in the summer. We also shop at a small family owned grocery store. They have done a wonderful job of keeping meats in stock, but they ration chicken and ground beef strictly to one per person. This store is low on flour and yeast but alot of sugar.

I plan to drive to a small Amish owned store thats about 45 minutes away later this week. We shop there notmally twice a month. They sell the handy dandy 50 pound bags of flour and sugar and yeast by the large containers.  If you hit it right, they also have baked goods and fresh range frozen whole chickens.  We enjoy the drive through beautiful farm lands. Its our only entertainment these days.

We stay away from Walmart at this time.  I usually buy our vitamins at Walmart, but its been crazy full parking lots here.  

I was at a small vegetarian grocery. It was pretty well stocked except for non domestic fruits (no, we have no bananas today). 

Some things that were gone at bigger supermarket 2 weeks ago, like tortillas, potatoes and eggs were well stocked today at the little store.  

Frozen section was depleted, but not bare.  I got a pint of sherbet for my birthday.  

I didn’t look at TP and don’t think this store would carry hand sanitizer ever.  I think People mainly go there for best vegetables in area aside from farmers market—not for paper or cleaning supplies. 

Salad bar and deli to go were closed. 

6 foot distance being well maintained 

everyone seemed in very good mood, good let’s all get through this together spirit

My last shopping trip was March 27.

No liquid hand soap; haven't seen any for a couple weeks. 3 small bags of flour (I bought one of them). Not  much sugar. Haven't seen hand sanitizer since March 9 - I got lucky when I asked at the counter for it  that day - last time I saw a bottle on the shelf was in February. Cereal and bread shelves were half empty. Tofu has been low/gone for months but I think that's an issue unrelated to COVID-19 shopping.  Produce is often dilapidated and low/missing stock, which makes me wonder if the stores are stocking overnight like they claim, or if there is a shortage.  I shop as early in the morning as possible.

The hard thing is shopping for my elderly mom, having to explain to her that bulk foods are no longer available ("but I only want a half cup of ____") and trying to figure out substitutions for her and working with store limits of how many items per category.