Menu

High School Literature/Grammar

Hello - 

I love the Abeka Language Arts program - but this year, my 10th grader did the IEW Essay Intensive as well as Windows to the World. Both worked great for this year. I am going to add some grammar back in for 11th grade for a good review before college, but I'm at a crossroads with the literature.

I can either go whole hog on the Abeka 11th grade LA, including the American Literature anthology, or I can use the IEW British Lit (which I already own) and filter in with the Abeka grammar. I write my own lesson plans anyway, so this wouldn't be too terribly difficult.  I am just not sure whether to go "whole book" or "anthology."  

I will add that she reads all the time and has read a ton of classics.  But she isn't particularly fond of writing - she is more of a math girl.  She will take Calculus, Computer Programing, and Spanish 2 at the local university next semester, so I also want to keep LA consistent but not overwhelming as far as workload.  

Thoughts?

Thank you!

By high school most students no longer need Grammar instruction, as most Grammar is done in conjunction with Writing (esp. in the revising and proof-editing stages of Writing). Unless the student really doesn't understand things like punctuation, or subject/verb agreement and other usage topics, and punctuation -- enough to need actual Grammar instruction -- I would focus much more on making sure the student is solid in Writing, and blend in a little light Grammar review with your Writing.

In terms of your 2 choices in your post, I guess I would be voting for "do the Lit. you already have" (IEW British Lit) -- unless there is a Lit. topic or author or genre that the student would really enjoy more and like to "dig into". For Writing, if she doesn't need actual instruction or an outsourced class, you could go with assignments from IEW for Writing, plus a few assignments in real-life writing or other types of Writing not covered by the IEW, just to make sure she is solid in Writing. And just fold in some Grammar review, if needed. I would probably wait and see if she has a specific need for Grammar, and if so, then get a resource that targets that topic in Grammar that needs bolstering.

Just what I would do, without knowing more about the specific student and needs/goals. 😄 BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perkybunch said:

We found Abeka's 11th grade grammar to be very helpful for the SATs, if that affects your decision. 

This was exactly my thought. We take the ACT here.  She had done Abeka grammar and then took this year off of it.  Her English ACT dropped from a 31 to a 30, so I wanted to bring it back in for a good, solid review before taking what will likely be her last one.  Thank you for the validation. I was still vacillating, but I think since you corroborated my thoughts, I will stick with it. 

Did you use the Literature portion, too?

1 hour ago, rubyslippers said:

This was exactly my thought. We take the ACT here.  She had done Abeka grammar and then took this year off of it.  Her English ACT dropped from a 31 to a 30, so I wanted to bring it back in for a good, solid review before taking what will likely be her last one.  Thank you for the validation. I was still vacillating, but I think since you corroborated my thoughts, I will stick with it. 

Did you use the Literature portion, too?

No, I didn't use the literature portion.

2 hours ago, rubyslippers said:

...We take the ACT here.  She had done Abeka grammar and then took this year off of it.  Her English ACT dropped from a 31 to a 30, so I wanted to bring it back in for a good, solid review before taking what will likely be her last one...

If that is the need for the Grammar, then I'd go straight for "teach to the test" -- spend 15 min/day for the 2 months before taking the ACT prepping with a resource specifically designed to target and practice the ACT English/Grammar section.

Here are a few possible resources:
Crack ACT website
Complete Guide to the ACT Grammar Rules, Prep Scholar website

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1