Menu

Internet....2 quick questions

kfeusse

Will you please answer 2 quick questions for me?

1) is your internet plan at your home unlimited usage?

2) if not.... Would you mind sharing with me where you live?

I am asking because right now the only internet company that serves our small town is charging us per GB we use and I am wondering if this is a common practice or not. People in the towns where this is happening (in our area) are fighting the company... Not only because now everybody has kids at home doing online school and many people are also doing work from home, but even before this because we live in a time where using the internet is a constant in most homes. Thanks for answering my questions.

• Like 1

we have att uverse.  We pay a flat fee for up to a certain amount (but don't ask me what it is) and then we pay per some unit of measurement for overage.  I know our plan  amount is pretty low but we've never once hit the cap in 10ish years that we've had it.  We have 3-6 devices on at all waking hours but we don't stream movies much at all so I suspect that is why we never hit our cap.

I believe our Internet service (Fiber Optic service) is "unlimited". Probably there is wording in the contract to penalize people who abuse that, but in our case we use whatever bandwidth we need to use and have had no issues with our ISP since they installed the Fiber Optic service to our house several years ago.

We live in Colombia, South America.

8 hours ago, kfeusse said:

Will you please answer 2 quick questions for me?

1) is your internet plan at your home unlimited usage?

2) if not.... Would you mind sharing with me where you live?

I am asking because right now the only internet company that serves our small town is charging us per GB we use and I am wondering if this is a common practice or not. People in the towns where this is happening (in our area) are fighting the company... Not only because now everybody has kids at home doing online school and many people are also doing work from home, but even before this because we live in a time where using the internet is a constant in most homes. Thanks for answering my questions.

I live in the greater Austin area.

We do not have unlimited Internet -- it is just that our quota is big enough we've never run into it yet.

(And the way it works is that they slow Internet when we hit our quota). We'll see if, with me working from home and the kids home, that changes this month.

(we could call and bump up the package we're on to have more quota if necessary)

Edited by vonfirmath

There seems to be two options where we live (Las Vegas). The one we have is unlimited but I’ve heard lots of complaints about their service - we haven’t had any problems and have a lot of gaming, streaming, etc happening all the time. 

The other company seems to be the preferred company, but they charge for overages. If you purchase a big enough plan, it’s fine, but if you try to save by going with a cheaper plan, you may have crazy high overage fees. 

ETA- I don’t have long term info - we moved here about 8 months ago, and all the “research” I did for internet was on a couple of Facebook groups...

Edited by WendyLady

We have AT&T unlimited data for internet=$90 a month (locked into that price i think, it's been the same for 2 years). That's all the computers, wifi, and all streaming. I think we use ~500G per month between the 5 of us.

We also have Verizon unlimited data on our phones=$250 month, a total of 5 lines.

No way I could pay by the gig. I feel like there's so many ads and pop-ups that use up your data also. 

ETA: lump us into Jacksonville, FL, in a neighborhood that's less than 3 years old.

Edited by sarahbobeara

Rural Iowa - the phone company offers unlimited, but in my neighborhood that is down quite a bit in the summer. I have the cable option and I pay for 400 GB. Overage charges are $10 for every additional 50 GB. They have taken the limits off until May 15th for COVID.

6 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

Rural Iowa - the phone company offers unlimited, but in my neighborhood that is down quite a bit in the summer. I have the cable option and I pay for 400 GB. Overage charges are $10 for every additional 50 GB. They have taken the limits off until May 15th for COVID.

our "nice" provider is giving us 1 whole GB free every day, per student (not our homeschooled students mind you) until their school would be out of session.  With my college aged daughter home and doing a full load of classes, that will buy us one class free...the others we will have to pay for.   And that doesn't count anything else she might need to do....like watch an extra video for class or anything extra she needs to do.     I am glad that other companies are nice enough to lift the limits for COVID....

Unlimited. DC. I think we get throttled after a certain amount? Or during certain hours? I can't quite remember. This is not something they're doing for CV times. It's just our plan. We can also hook onto their wifi hot spots around the region. Those are really slow, but also included with no cap.

Unlimited - East Central Florida. The other option in my area does cap usage but that cap is so high few people reach it, let alone go over it. 

Many companies that do cap usage are waiving it during the virus. I'm surprised yours isn't. Does your state have a regulatory agency that covers internet providers? If so, maybe people in your community can appeal to it.

• Like 1

Two companies here that we tried, Southern Arizona.

Company A was unlimited but had awful service. We switched from them at the beginning of March because I couldn't even open Google on some days, all the while they are saying everything is A-OK.

Company B is limited. We pay $45 first 300GB, then $10/100GB up to an extra $40/month. They did say through April 15 they will be waiving overage fees. But, there hasn't been a glitch, fuzzy screen or slow website since the switch. So while I'm not happy about the price and being charged extra, we use it for business so having working internet is necessary. 

(There is also Company C, which is limited and charges much more for their service AND requires you to use their tech to connect, and charges rent on those tech things.)