Menu

Day 14 - Do what we can.

Murphy101

I’m going to stream mass and sit on my duff today, or tomorrow? I don’t know what it is anymore.

Another 2 kid are going down.  I think I see a pattern. 

Day 1 - super moody/irritable and then a terrible headache sets in

Day 2 - super exhausted, with or without headache. No fever or very low fever

Day 3 - all the above plus sore throat and high fever that doesn’t come down much or easily with Tylenol/Motrin.

Day 4 all the above and feels like poop. And maybe some chest pain.  1/2 say their chest hurts.

Day 5 same, maybe a bit better until later in the day when the exhaustion and fever just swamps them again.

Currently it’s creeping through. Third kid started looking tired and having headache last night, woke up looking like a bad drunk. Right before bedtime a fourth kid said her head hurt and she was going to bed early. So I can see how tomorrow/today is going to go.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Sad 11

Made my oatmeal for the week, watched our church service, made some pumpkin scones. More church coming: trying communion at 9:30 remotely, then Bible study.

Will work on my weekend chore list some more. Definitely clean the bathrooms and make some masks. Maybe try a walk, but it's been pretty cold and rain off and on. Hard to get motivated. Much easier to get motivated for a nap. Chicken Parmesan for dinner tonight.

So far:  breakfast, checked in with my mom, watched a recorded mass and rosary from the FSSP church in Warrington, England.  We have watched it the past three weeks.  When we get to travel again, this church is on my bucket list.  Since they have five priests in residence they have announced that they will be streaming/recording all the Holy Week masses.  

DH is headed out to let my daughter get more driving practice - today’s weather challenge is wind gusts as we are under a high wind warning today.  He also wants to stop at Walmart for pectin and skim milk.  He’s the only skim milk drinker in the family and I am not used to going through very much when he isn’t home to eat breakfast here.  He also is getting bored and wants us to make jelly with some of the prepped fruit in the garage freezer.

want to take a walk, but don’t want to be blown away...

hope to upload 3 months of photos to Shutterfly.  I am still stuck back in 2016, thinking three month is a manageable goal since I am clearly behind.  The whole project is rather overwhelming so trying baby steps.

probably take a nap

will be saying rosary with MIL over on the other side of the state via zoom.  She liked it when we did it last week.  My husband was saying he hadn’t missed Mass twice in a row since he made his first communion.  As a convert to Catholicism, I realized that I haven’t prayed the rosary as much in my life as I have in the past month.

hope everyone has as good a day as possible.  Prayers to those who are sick or have sick family members.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happymomof1 said:

Oh Murphy... I'm so sorry....

Just confirms the idea.  There is nothing we can do .  We are fooling ourselves.

Yes. And no. 

If my city had ordered shelter in place 2-3 weeks ago, maybe a lot less people would have it right now.

Thanks to deciding to self quarantine, I can lay in bed with my very sick 3 yr old and have the peace of mind that for 2 weeks we may have delayed it spreading to others. 

The fact that some in my house very likely seem to have Covid19 doesn’t mean the efforts I took were futile. It means I should have done them sooner and by continuing to do them I might be helping someone else.

I’m not going to lie though. God forbid any of us should need hospitalized, but if we do, I’m praying it’s in the early wave while there’s still some level of medical help available.   It’s the people a month from now needing medical care that I’m extra terrified for. 

A large part of success in this virus war is maintaining a siege. The longer we hole up, the less the virus has to feed on/transmit to and the more reenforcements we will have to beat it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Yes. And no. 

If my city had ordered shelter in place 2-3 weeks ago, maybe a lot less people would have it right now.

Thanks to deciding to self quarantine, I can lay in bed with my very sick 3 yr old and have the peace of mind that for 2 weeks we may have delayed it spreading to others. 

The fact that some in my house very likely seem to have Covid19 doesn’t mean the efforts I took were futile. It means I should have done them sooner and by continuing to do them I might be helping someone else.

I’m not going to lie though. God forbid any of us should need hospitalized, but if we do, I’m praying it’s in the early wave while there’s still some level of medical help available.   It’s the people a month from now needing medical care that I’m extra terrified for. 

A large part of success in this virus war is maintaining a siege. The longer we hole up, the less the virus has to feed on/transmit to and the more reenforcements we will have to beat it.

Have you called your doctor?  The fact that so many people in one house are sick might encourage them to test you all.

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Have you called your doctor?  The fact that so many people in one house are sick might encourage them to test you all.

The only people getting tests to my knowledge are at the hospital. And thankfully no one is bad enough to go there.

I’ve called the dr but he wants us to come to his office and I don’t want to go out unless I really have to.   I had an apt with dr on demand for 6am this morning and they never “showed” up and the service is too flooded to even access now. 

• Sad 2

We caught another mouse! 2 total. Well 3 because dh accidentally ran one over in the driveway the other day. One set a trap off but didn't get caught. Ugh.

I picked up a different kind of trap and dh plans to try to adjust the sensitivity on the traps. Here's hoping these measures make a dent in the mouse issue.

Other than fight with mice, we plan on going on a walk soon and I want to get some writing done today. But I'll have to play that by ear because I have a massive headache

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Happymomof1 said:

Not exactly what I meant.  But sort of. So we "do what we can" and sterilize and still get it.  I go my assignment due tomorrow and who the hell cares. What difference does it make.  Oh come on girls... go read a book, get outside....  I send money to the moms, who live today but may starve in a month.  the world is still the same.  It still sucks.  IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WE DO> IT DOESNT CHANGE ANYTHING.

No, that’s what I thought you meant.

I simply disagree.

I have no delusion that I’m going to matter to the world.  That’s doesn’t usually matter much to me. The only question is what is the right thing to do in the given moment.  Everything else is just a distraction that leads to despair. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Do you have a link for this?

So I guess either I don’t have permission or enough knowledge to attach a link, but we found it at livemass.net

the mass we have watched recorded is at the Warrington link.  They have masses from several locations in different time zones.  It is a traditional order, so it is the traditional Latin mass.  Today they had a solemn high Mass so they only had a cantor.  Last week was a sung high Mass so the extra priests were singing in the choir loft with the organ.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

Not exactly what I meant.  But sort of. So we "do what we can" and sterilize and still get it.  I go my assignment due tomorrow and who the hell cares. What difference does it make.  Oh come on girls... go read a book, get outside....  I send money to the moms, who live today but may starve in a month.  the world is still the same.  It still sucks.  IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WE DO> IT DOESNT CHANGE ANYTHING.

Did you used to have another board name? You are the mom of at least three kids—two boys who are either in college or graduated and a daughter who does theater(?) who is close to graduating. Your husband is a doctor(?) who is out of country a lot. You were not doing well mentally a few years ago, took a board break, and then enrolled in a seminary? 

We all have up and down days with our mental health, but IIRC you were in near despair a couple of weeks ago when your college aged son had a minor illness. 

If you have been struggling at this same level for that length of period, can I please encourage you to reach out for additional mental health support? 

• Like 2

I woke at 5am when I heard an ambulance nearby. I prayed for them and then finally fell back asleep. We had family prayer and scripture study this am, lunch, and now the older kids are off playing a game while I work on reaching out to some older friends and family. I have been using FaceTime or Zoom quite a bit. I had been sending cards but I am starting to run low on stamps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Yes. And no. 

Murphy, I am sending lots of prayers to your kids.  How many of them are sick?    I hope you are able to talk to a doctor soon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

I would not call high fever, aches with a negative strep and flu test and coming home from New Orleans to be a minor illness.  His school ordered him to leave and he drove home...12 hours.  I was out of the country so couldn't go get him.  Not sure it is fair to categorize that as a minor illness.  Yeh, no one at home knows I'm struggling.  Not reaching out.  No way. 

Sending you some hugs.   If you need people to talk to, we are here.  I know I would be struggling really badly without this board.   My "friends" are other parents from things my kids are in.  Well, they are not in them right now.  This is really hard in so many ways. 

I will except honestly, the more time I spend on this board, the worse I am.  If I'm not here posting that is a good sign.  I went for years where I barely posted on here and they were the happiest times of my life with REAL people in a REAL job doing meaningful work.  And here we sit.  Rosie should just ban me, but then I would just find another way to be here.  I cannot stop myself.

I am sorry.  Do you think being here now makes you more unhappy because of all the Covid-19 threads?   Or is something else?  

I love this board, but of course hanging out with people face to face makes me happier.   But that can't happen right now, other than the people in my house.   If this isn't a good place for you at all you have to make the choice to do what you think is best for you.  Not that I want you to leave at all.  I know that in normal times it was best for me to be on here some, but not hours everyday.  Get out and engage in life.   But right now that isn't what I think is best for me.  I like social interaction and this is the place that right now I can get the most of it.   Plus I love the community of people we have on this board.  

Are your son and dh self isolating in your home still?  

What do you think would make you the happiest right now?  What can you do to get through this?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Did you used to have another board name? You are the mom of at least three kids—two boys who are either in college or graduated and a daughter who does theater(?) who is close to graduating. Your husband is a doctor(?) who is out of country a lot. You were not doing well mentally a few years ago, took a board break, and then enrolled in a seminary? 

We all have up and down days with our mental health, but IIRC you were in near despair a couple of weeks ago when your college aged son had a minor illness. 

If you have been struggling at this same level for that length of period, can I please encourage you to reach out for additional mental health support? 

You are describing someone else.  If it is who it sounds like to me, I had no idea she got a new board name.....?  And she has 3 kids....why would her new board name same mom of 1?

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

You know how easy it is to create a different account.  I might have 3 or 4! You never know. 

That is actually against board rules.  But anyway, if you are who the other poster is describing.....why the new board name.  We have been here together and on the marriage board for years.

• Like 2

Yeah, I created ones whenever I got in trouble.  When I told Rosie I couldn't stay off the last time, she banned me so I would since I couldn't stop myself.  She may eventually stop me from posting, but never from reading.

I don't remember you getting in trouble.  Just be yourself.

Ah, I'm sorry, Murphy. It sucks having sick kiddos.

I packed up the dog for another county park walking adventure this morning. We went to a trail we've done before, that is only a mile long and, therefore, not really enough of a walk for me. However, I didn't want to go back to where we went yesterday, since the goal of introducing some variety into our destinations will be shot if we hit the same place twice in a row and I wasn't so wowed by the scenery or environment that I can't wait to go back there. I also didn't want to spend a whole lot of time researching other options, so we went to the closer, shorter trail, walked all the way to the end, then halfway back, then to the end, then all the way back to the beginning, trying to look at different things with each pass. That got me a little over 3 miles, which was a decent start for the day. 

Came home to shower, dress and have breakfast. Took my second cup of coffee outside and listened to a podcast while soaking up a little more sunshine. 

Watched this week's video church service.

Looked at some more tents online. 

Read email and news.

Requested refills for three prescriptions. My husband also needed refills on some of his stuff. Since it's only 1.5 miles away, I opted to walk in order to have another outing. (It was very warm, and that might not have been the wisest choice.)

Complained to my husband about having nothing to do and how some of the projects I might like to do seem either overwhelming or pointless. (Example: I "could" clean up and generally reclaim the screen porch, which is currently being "used" as a combination storage space for a bunch of my son's junk and and improvised photo studio for his girlfriend. However, I don't want to take responsibility for taking down or storing the photography equipment, because I don't want to damage anything or have it not ready for her if she needs/wants to use it soon. And the debris my son is storing out there includes some large, heavy pieces of wood that I can't move and wouldn't have anywhere else to put, anyway. AND, even assuming I solve those issues, many of the windows are missing or have very damaged screens, meaning we can't actually open them. AND the screen door leading to the backyard does not close securely, meaning anyone who goes out there has to be hyper-vigilant about not allowing the cats to slip into the space, since no one wants a replay of the Great Cat Escape of Christmas 2018.)

He waited until I was out of the room and then asked son's girlfriend to temporarily take down her photography stuff so we can clean and organize. Emboldened by that start, I asked my son to take care of his junk. And while I was walking to the pharmacy and back, my husband did the first pass on sweeping out the screen room. We moved the table and chairs to one end so that the other end can be open for the photo stuff, after which I took over and actually washed everything. 

We still can't open most of the windows, because they either have no screens or have screens that are so dented and damaged that they are only tenuously in place. And the fences in the backyard have gaping holes on two sides, meaning I can't even let the dog out there. However, it is now theoretically possible to treat it as a sunroom and use the table to have coffee in the morning or even eat dinner if we wait until the sun goes down and we won't bake under the glass.

We have just ordered take-out for everyone for dinner, which I have volunteered to go pick up.

I only cried once today. Not bad for this point in the experience.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StellaM said:

It's only been a week of staying home for me. 

I'm getting the hang of it.

Gotta do some work today,  get ds to do an online assessment for school, and have my first non face-to-face therapy appt.  Not sure how that will go. 

Oh, and I have a date with my nephew to play games online. 

Gotta watch my entertainment choices today - last night ds and I watched Snowpiercer, my choice, and it was not a good choice. Not only was it one heck of a strange movie, I probably did not need to watch anything related to apocalypses, ends of the world, humanity dying out etc. I felt pretty freaked out afterwards, and sad, so gotta stick with Call the Midwife from now on.

I also mistakenly watched this movie oh, maybe 6 months ago, and it was not good.  It was gratuitously, stupidly cynical and gory, imo.  Like, just because you are doing fiction doesn't mean that you can put whatever you want in there and claim it makes sense or is appropriate.  Just ugh, that movie irritated me.  By about halfway through, I was thinking well, I'm going to keep watching because maybe just maybe they'll resolve it in a way that redeems it, and by the end I just wanted them to blow up the whole damned train.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

We should have a thread about shows and episodes that are guaranteed to be trigger free.  I decided that Call the Midwife was a nice safe way to distract myself a while ago, and the episode was one that hit way too close to home.  So, I switched over to the crown, and ended up with the episode about children dying in a mining disaster.  I am thinking of limiting myself to Daniel Tiger going forward.

Oh no, not Daniel tiger...how about streaming mr. rogers on amazon prime.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StellaM said:

Blowing up the train was the best bit of the movie. 

I don't know about you, but I was also plagued with questions about how the train actually ran.

It didn't seem long enough to contain the number of people required to sustain generations of class warfare, lol.

I was particularly irritated because it seemed like an idea that could sustain a great movie, or series of movies, or book - but they left out the interesting details, like (indeed) how the train ran, or the nuances of how the class system worked, or any of it, in favor of (frankly largely unbelievable) scenes of people not acting like people, just for the shock value.  

It reminded me of another movie I watched (10 minutes of) recently about a guy who has a 10 year old daughter who is presumably the last female left alive (in the UK? not sure) after a female-targeted plague of some kind, which is an interesting idea at least, but within 10 minutes they're in the woods and he's trying to keep other people from figuring out she's a she and yet he has her carrying around a paperback with a girly cover and she can't follow the simplest instruction like stay behind this tree while someone who wants to rape and kill you is trying to find out if you exist.  

The number of movies/books I read with great premesis that are completely negated by awful storytelling choices really irritates me if you can't tell. 🙂

What I have done today: called the landlord about water that won't work (fun), bought water at the local grocery store (surprisingly civilized, lots of sanitizer for coming in and for leaving), bought groceries, eaten pumpkin pie, worked (from home), read too many Pokemon books to an obsessed 5 year old.

• Like 1

We did school.  I did groceries and disinfected everything.  I bought sheep nuts.  Dh worked from home.  My kids have been having fun Skyping all their public school friends who are now home.

I attached some pics of our sky last night and our new guest that doesn’t have the hang of socially isolating 

DB0E378F-FBDA-4C7B-9182-37AD751CD529.jpeg

12223933-88CE-4C37-BF43-901816642267.jpeg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I haven't read everything here, and if I am not in the spirit of the thread, forgive me.

What I can do is sew...making surgical masks.  It is so nice to be sewing again.  It is pretty much an obsession again.  Like, I don't stop to eat!  It is a great use of things I have spent/wasted money on/hoarded over the years.  It has been fun to give face masks to people who need them/can use them. I'm happy.  My days of quarantine are too SHORT.  I never would have anticipated THAT. 

Thank you, Murphy, for setting up this thread.  It makes me realize that I can do something.  I haven't felt all that useful in a long time.

I wish I could sew facemasks to donate. But I have zero material and no sewing machine. It warms my hearts seeing all the people sewing masks for others. It is one of the things that keeps me positive through all this. There has been so much positive help on the local level it amazes me

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Yes. And no. 

And if your family does have it your actions may have saved many others.  I hope we locked down in time.  We had 100 confirmed cases and locked down at the first evidence of community transmission but it is scary staying home and watching the numbers go up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

The only people getting tests to my knowledge are at the hospital. And thankfully no one is bad enough to go there.

I’ve called the dr but he wants us to come to his office and I don’t want to go out unless I really have to.   I had an apt with dr on demand for 6am this morning and they never “showed” up and the service is too flooded to even access now. 

Really.  As in take potentially infectious kids into the doctors office?  Or will he see them in the carpark.  We are only allowed phone consultations.

9 hours ago, kiwik said:

Really.  As in take potentially infectious kids into the doctors office?  Or will he see them in the carpark.  We are only allowed phone consultations.

He has the entire place closed and only sees one patient at a time. No waiting room or multiple patients in the offices.  You wait in the car until whoever he is currently seeing has left the building and they disinfect that room that was used and then call you in.

But really there’s nothing to do for a virus unless they develop breathing breathing problems.